Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

a false posted:

a comment i just read on a youtube video just got me thinking - now that asashoryu's out of sumo, he should try to become a lineman in the nfl. seriously. he's got the size, he's probably quicker than most other dudes who play the position, and he's certainly incredibly strong. not too old either. would be a good way to make himself a bunch of money. a lot of rikishi would probably be really good at it actually, but it's unlikely that anyone who wasn't forced out of sumo under duress would give it up for a different sport (unless they just really wanted to make a lot more money).

i honestly don't know that much about football and have only really started to get into the intricacies of sumo, but does that sound plausible? it seems like the skillset for sumo would more than adequately prepare someone to be a good defensive player in football.

It's really not at all plausible. 31 is well on the downside of a career, especially in a high-contact position like lineman. He's almost certainly physically inferior to guys coming out of college, and he has no experience whatsoever in the game to make up for it.

Even assuming he can match up physically against dudes 10 years younger than him that weigh 300+ pounds, can run a 40-yard dash in 5 seconds, and have a 30" vertical leap, he'd need to learn the following things:
1) how football works
2) correct footwork (this would probably be his easiest adjustment)
3) how to use his hands, particularly with regard to not being penalized
4) teamwork
5) memorizing several hundred plays, his assignments, and the call
6) memorizing the terminology for adjustments at the line of scrimmage

e: He'd also have to deal with translating his skills into a football uniform, and dealing with the incredible physical beating of the game.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
There aren't actually strict rules on what it takes to get to yokozuna, correct? Is it possible that the people in charge would adjust for this sort of historically competitive field?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
A request from the gallery: could the first commenter or two after each video use their spoiler tags such that they leave the match names visible and the comments spoiled? I try to follow along with folks' commentary as I watch, but when it's all in one spoiler tag or the names aren't visible it's easy to unintentionally read ahead.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Fryhtaning posted:

You mean like how Funkysauce did it?

That is an excellent idea. I shall make haste in following suit.

I mean the opposite of how Funkysauce did it, so you can see who was in the match and then go read the hidden comments after you watch the result.