Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i remember watching sumo digest a lot back on the day when it would be on ESPN2 at weird hours. akebono was still active back then and he was impressive as gently caress to watch... i think this was also before takanohana and wakanohana made yokozuna. kaio became my favorite pretty quickly though, he was entertaining as hell and really easy to root for. wish they still had that poo poo on tv occasionally, it's cool that someone's posting all these videos though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
day 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJUywEk1V0

down to two leaders.... also, aran with another henka, making it three straight :psyduck:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
wow, aran won without a henka???? unbelievable

also, pulling hard for kakuryu. he deserves ozeki, certainly more than 3/5 of the current group.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a comment i just read on a youtube video just got me thinking - now that asashoryu's out of sumo, he should try to become a lineman in the nfl. seriously. he's got the size, he's probably quicker than most other dudes who play the position, and he's certainly incredibly strong. not too old either. would be a good way to make himself a bunch of money. a lot of rikishi would probably be really good at it actually, but it's unlikely that anyone who wasn't forced out of sumo under duress would give it up for a different sport (unless they just really wanted to make a lot more money).

i honestly don't know that much about football and have only really started to get into the intricacies of sumo, but does that sound plausible? it seems like the skillset for sumo would more than adequately prepare someone to be a good defensive player in football.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
holy gently caress baruto :stare:

also aminishiki, goddamn

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

seorin posted:

Speaking of Harumafuji, I really think they made the wrong call on his match after watching the replays. There's probably something I didn't see, but it really looks like Harumafuji is still mid-air when Gagamaru touches down. That they didn't even call a mono-ii is very disappointing.

terrible screenshot time:

based on this view, gagamaru has clearly touched down first (it's hard to tell because of the pixelation but harumafuji's right foot is still airborne). however...

his right foot might touch here, or just before this when you can't see it because of the camera angle. with the speed and picture quality it's impossible to be sure, but it's awfully close.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

seorin posted:

Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIMejunuwQ

Comments on today's matches:

Shotenrou: I love it when I catch the rare smile on a rikishi's face. They look so drat serious all the time. It's refreshing when they're on the news outside of an actual tournament, because they all seem like such happy people by comparison.

another great reason to miss asashoryu :( i don't care if some of his antics (fist-pumping etc) were against acceptable sumo decorum, being able to watch a rikishi (and a dominant one at that) with an actual personality was so fun. as much as i like a guy like baruto, i feel like that's something he seriously lacks (note his completely stoic reaction to a rikishi - i don't remember which one - flying off the dohyo and landing right next to him).

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kotoshogiku has acquitted himself pretty well so far in this tournament. looking less like token-japanese-ozeki than last basho. we'll see how well he holds up against the other ozeki i guess.

also hakuho still looks super pissed off.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
henka (or whatever you want to call his big leap) notwithstanding, chiyotairyu and his sideburns are becoming my favorite maegashira.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Takanoyama is pretty much guaranteed to be back in makuuchi next basho, right?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what a great story for kyokutenho. and what a great few matches today, especially baruto prying victory from the jaws of defeat. pretty amazing basho altogether. excited to probably see takanoyama again in the next one, hopefully he can translate some of his juryo success to the top flight this time.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i really hope chiyotairyuu isn't just a fluke right now. he keeps impressing me.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
pulling so hard for chiyotairyuu. hope he can hold his own against the ozeki when it comes time to face them, he's dominating all the maegashira. still early, but i hope he keeps it up.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Anime Reference posted:

Takanoyama seems doomed to spend his career bouncing between juryo and makuuchi.

Guess that's better than never making makuuchi at all though.

maybe he'll finally get the hang of makuuchi at some point. i hope he does.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
sure was some pretty lousy sumo today.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nooooooo my favorite :(

oh well, there was some really good sumo today. hakuho with a much more characteristic match, maybe he's feeling better. also, wish takanoyama found a different way to get his first win, but a win is a win i guess.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
drat, daidou is a machine right now. going to be interesting to see how he fares when it comes time to face the ozekis. I really hope he manages to keep pace at least for a while. also, I agree with kintamayama, takanoyama definitely won that match. hard to believe they didn't even call a monoii

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
didn't look like it touched down to me, but then again i was watching on a phone

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
both of those don't look like they're touching to me, but there's so much beige there it's really hard to tell for sure.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i really think harumafuji is going to win. hakuho might be undefeated, but harumafuji has looked way stronger in most of his victories.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the takanoyama/yoshikaze result looked pretty clear to me, at least on the replay. also, tochinoshin/homasho was fantastic. probably my favorite match of this basho so far.

is it just me or is aran actually improving? he's been using real actual sumo techniques fairly effectively for most of this basho now.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
yeah, that matta in aran's match was bizarre. very impressed with his technique when they finally got going though.

kaisei continues to look very good, but the way harumafuji's going i don't see him staying in the mix until the end because of that early loss. i expect hakuho to lose pretty soon, it's pretty surprising he hasn't yet really.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Just Winging It posted:

Realistically speaking, with the level of sumo he's displaying Harumafuji is the only ozeki that has a shot to make it to yokozuna. I don't think his age is the biggest hurdle that's going to keep him from getting there though, I just really doubt whether or not he'll be able to win two basho's in a row as long as Hakuho is around. Having said that, with his current form, this basho presents a golden opportunity to get at least that first win and if he has any serious ambitions towards promotion he really should seize it.

that's tough to say. baruto looked like a good candidate a few basho ago coming off his win and in terms of raw strength he's probably #1 among all current rikishi - he just needs to develop consistency. kakuryuu is still young, so something could potentially happen there too. with so much parity right now, it's really going to be hard for anyone to do it - consistency between tournaments is the key and hakuho is pretty much the only guy around who's displayed that.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
ahhhhhhhh it's going to suck not having kintamayama's video tomorrow :( i know the individual matches will be up but i like to watch them all together. i'm so excited for harumafuji and hakuho's match, hopefully he doesn't pull the same poo poo he did with kisenosato today.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what time is it EST? also what is the link for it

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
well, since asashoryu made yokozuna, harumafuji has the most yusho of anyone other than him and hakuho. so i guess at least by that metric there's good reason to believe he's capable of doing it (moreso than the other ozeki at least).

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nooooooo :(

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
takanoyama stays in makuuchi!! hope he can improve on last basho but just generally happy to see him here

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
poor baruto, lousy way to start a tournament on a terrible decision. oh well.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
not that i should be surprised or anything, but hakuho has looked seriously impressive in his last two bouts. both competitors didn't really do anything wrong but he held his ground perfectly under strong advances and exploited weaknesses that were barely there. after last basho you can tell he really really wants this one.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
wow, two ozeki down to injury already. you'd have to think this benefits harumafuji to a degree, but then again neither of them have really been quite on his level lately anyway.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

What a great day of sumo. A lot of tense moments near the edge and a few tense moments with throws.

Toyonoshima - Pure schadenfreude in seeing Kotooshu's arm nearly ripped off by someone half his size

Kyokutenho - Has obviously been taking tips from the Chinese badminton team. It's almost as if he tanked last basho on purpose so he'd have his best chance at another yusho by plunging as far as possible before then

Kisenosato - There's that ridiculous balance again - withstanding some huge chest bumps from Gagamaru before turning it around and easily pushing him out.

Myogiryu - Thassa future Ozeki right there.

And of course, Homasho mah boy!

i was thinking the exact same thing about kyokutenho. honestly, in most of his bouts last basho he didn't even look like he was trying

also was thinking the exact same thing about myogiryuu

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
takanoyama is still so drat fun to watch, i hope he can build up some momentum and get his 8 wins this basho

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i came to this thread only knowing what scraps i had retained from very occasional ESPN coverage in the late 90s and have, through following this thread, picked up on the majority of the stuff mentioned in your post as absent. it might not be in the OP but it's mostly all in here and i would contend that the OP is perfectly adequate for fostering interest in the sport even if it is not necessarily an exhaustive account of everything that's ever happened in sumo.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
he had a few good matches sans-henka last basho, he's just performing really poorly this time around. his (unearned imo) place near the top of the maegashira isn't helping.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kintamayama's video for day 12 still isn't up so i watched araibira's of the most important matches, which are, and uh... hakuho is kind of an rear end in a top hat! i am ok with harite in general (harumafuji has been using it to great effect so far this basho), but a big roundhouse slap right off the tachi-ai and a shoulder to the face to top that off? kind of ridiculous. i hope myogiryu is alright, he definitely seemed concussed after that.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think it's more just frustration at not having won a yusho in such a long time (for him). if harumafuji wins, this will be hakuho's first time losing 3 straight since january 2007, back when he was still an ozeki. even though he was happy for kyokutenho and would like there to be another yokozuna to have as his rival, he seems like a pretty proud guy whose pride is hurting a bit.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

No joke - a concussion can silently be a career-ender.

have concussions historically been an issue in sumo? i know in the other sport i follow (hockey) it's been a major topic of discussion over the past number of years and there have been a lot of players who've had their careers ended by serious concussions (and a good number of players who should have, in retrospect, probably retired thanks to concussions in the past but didn't and are still paying the price). i can't remember much discussion about concussions in sumo though, maybe just because i just recently started following. still, it seems like the knees are generally the first thing to go for rikishi.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Apraxin posted:

Without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say that it was well worth staying up until 4.30AM to watch the end of this one.

yeah, this. my biggest fear going into this was that after all the buildup, no matter who won, it would be an anticlimactic bout... needless to say that was not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
so i guess the top of the banzuke will look a little like this next basho (not in any particular order except by rank):

Yokozuna: Hakuho, Harumafuji
Ozeki: Kisenosato, Kakuryu, Baruto, Kotoshogiku, Kotooshu
Sekiwake: Myogiryu, Goeido
Komusubi: Homasho, Aminishiki

don't know who the top Maegashira will be but i'm guessing Tochiozan and maybe Okinoumi or Takayasu? i also don't know exactly who is going down to juryo, probably Takanoyama, Kimurayama, Sadanofuji, Tenkaiho, and maybe Takarafuji as well. if that means 4-5 juryo rikishi are coming up, i'm assuming they will be Jokoryu, Ikioi, Chiyonokuni, and Yoshiazuma, with Tamawashi on the cusp.