Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I've always been fascinated by Sumo, but have never gotten into it. This thread has been super helpful, though I am still trying to figure out the numbers and such. I think Seorin's commentary on this current tournament has been very helpful towards making some sense of what is going on for me. I enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Takanoyama's matches are always so fun to watch. He really stuck with the leg move even though it looked like he was going to get flipped there for a second!

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
This will be my second Basho and I am getting excited. Between this and the Olympics coming up I am going to be full up on sports action.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I'm really hoping Harumafuji does a lot better, but as always just looking forward to good sumo.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

Supradog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2DP467Tm8s

Araibira recently released a Takanoyama highlights video. Lots of fun matches.

This is why I love this thread. I don't keep up with things as much as I should and I just watch the Kintayamaya and JasoninJapan videos, so I love to check up and see things like this!

Thanks!

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Wow Day 14 ending was crazy! I respect Kisenosato for his prowess in the dohyo, but I do not want him to become Yokozuna. I agree that Shohouzan shouldn't have won today, even though he is one of my favorites, the outcome was really obvious. Poor Daidou, I wonder if he will have a 0-15..
Osunaarashi is definitely on his way to being one of my favorites.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

evilwaldo posted:

Feels good to have sumo back.

Agreed. Harumafuji looking pretty strong first day, I just hope the steam doesn't run out.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

anakha posted:

Gyojis getting taken out by rikishi will never cease to be entertaining.

Is the Gyoji getting taken out seen as shameful or "bad" on their part? With all the tradition and stuff that Sumo has going for it, this basho has got me wondering if them stumbling or getting hit is seen as a bad thing traditionally?

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I'm really pleased with this basho. The opening days really made me realize how much I love uwatenage. Lots of action! Glad to see Harumafuji doing pretty well, after the first day I was a little worried because of that flip, but he's been doing great.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I think another performance like this and Kakuryu would be ok, but I really think the two yusho rule is best. So many great matches this month. I am glad Osunaarashi managed kk. Holy hell that last tachiai from Harumafuji was ruthless, he really went for it and it paid off. I hope he keeps up this level of tenacity next basho.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Oh wow that is some pretty harsh news. Definitely understandable to skip out on optional interviews after something like that.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Sad to see Kyokutenhou leave! He has been one of my favorites for awhile. What was up with Ikioi? Bad numbers for someone uninjured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Osuunarashi posted on his facebook account that he will be Juryo 1 and is aiming for a Juryo yusho. Best of luck to him!