Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is only the second Basho I've watched. Is Ishiura getting pounded now because everyone knows what he is trying to do since he always seems to go low and now he needs to learn to switch it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Rigel posted:

Tochinoshin is out, he hurt his knee again and is on crutches. Takayasu will get a walkover victory.

Tochinoshin has been looking bad all tournament, I'm not surprised that he would be too injured to keep going.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How does it work for a yokozuna when they have to sit out due to injury? Do they get a pass on it if they can come back and win next tournament? If they had to miss two would they start getting pressured to retire immediately?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the talk for Kak just based on this basho? He won the last one, were his matches considered to be poor even though he won them?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
So many 7-2 guys right behind the leaders. Wave after wave of playoff fights coming?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Rigel posted:

Kakuryu has withdrawn, Kotoshogiku will get the walkover win.

That obviously sets up Hak vs Kise on day 15.

Is Kakuryu injured or 'injured'?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It seems like doing the fake injury thing at day 10 when he's doing so poorly would be basically the same as getting the make koshi, especially when he'd be about to go up against more of the top rankers.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
At the end of his interview, Kisenosato shed one single manly sumo tear. The most emotion I have seen in sumo and shows how much this means to him. I hope tomorrow's fight is a good one with Hakuho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I love this sport

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Fryhtaning posted:

Any link to that?

E: nm, forgot I can halfway type in jp
https://youtu.be/ozLrJ2N9Eoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ojJrQy66c&t=1300s

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

It is cool to see Kise and Takayasu being super happy, especially Kise since his expression never changes when he's in the ring.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Halloween Jack posted:

Never thought I’d see somebody try to go low on Shouhouzon, how the gently caress is that even possible

He seemed angry after Ishiura tried to henka him with how hard he shoved him out. Ishiura dodged on pretty much every fight I remember against a bigger guy, so I can't see him sticking around if he can't bulk up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd really love to see Kisenosato win again. I've only seen the last couple of tournaments, but I just like how he fights and I'm a sucker for local boy makes good stories. Even if local means Japan in this case.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I saw someone mention upthread that you don't fight wrestlers in your own stable. Does that go out the door if Takayasu and Kisenosato are still tied at the end?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That's such a bummer. Today was such a sad tournament day between Kise being broken and Kotoshogiku losing his Ozeki return bid on a henka.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is there any news on if Kisenosato is healing or getting surgery or anything? Seeing him fight with his hosed up arm is sad with how dominant he was all the way up to the injury.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It seems like Aoiyama should be fighting higher level people than the back half of the rank and file if he's only one off the yusho race, even if Hakuho is probably going to win anyway.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel bad for Aoiyama having the basho of his life, coming in second, but getting basically no kensho.

Really hope Kisenosato is back to full strength next time and that Takayasu gets back into the form that got him to Ozeki.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder if Aoiyama was talked into joining this basho to fill in space with all of the injuries. His leg is clearly messed up and there was basically no way for him to get kachi-koshi starting with 7 absences.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What is the level of competitiveness in the lower divisions? It seems like guys can hang in makuuchi in spite of being one dimensional or having significant flaws. Am I just spoiled by only seeing the top division fights?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am very disappointed that Ura's rise is stopped by his injury, but Onosho being so drat good is exciting. I want to see more good young guys like him and Asanoyama.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Terunofuji being busted is disappointing. Same with Tochinoshin. I love to see them when they're at full strength and can go pure power, but when they have no legs like now, they can't do poo poo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We might be down to only 2 yokozuna after all this if Kakuryu can't get healthy enough to actually compete.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been watching sumo for a year now and I wanted to ask, what makes Hakuho so impossibly great? Is he just like the perfect build for sumo with the technique to match?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder how Kisenosato's should actually is doing. Hokutofuji basically rammed his head right into it from the tachi-ai and kept the pressure on it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really happy for Onosho after he got wrecked his first week. Hopefully now that he's seen some of the top ranked guys he can hang with them better and not depend on the second week against the lower ranks for his KK.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ishiura looks a little bit fatter since the last time he was in the top division. Did it put on a little more weight to try to hang with the bigger guys?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is Ichinojo actually any good at sumo? He just seems super slow and lazy in the ring, but because he's so goddamn big, even Hakuho has trouble just moving him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Man, 2014 Ichinojo is a completely different wrestler. I wonder what's actually in his head for why he seems so settled on bouncing around the rank and file, when he looked like someone who really could have been something.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tochinoshin is looking really good this tournament. I'm hoping his knee holds up. Onosho is looking exactly like he did last tournament, where is seems like he's trying way too hard to finish off the high ranked guys, loses his balance and flops forward. Can he rack up 8 wins on the rank and file again after a terrible first week?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Rigel posted:

This is really feeling like a "passing of the torch" basho. Hakuho will be back and he'll win a few yusho in 2018 but you can see his body just beginning to fail him, Kinboshisato is just about done, and its starting to look more and more clear that Mitakeumi could be the next Ozeki.

edit: incidentally, I found the answer to an odd question I was wondering about after searching around a bit. The traditional standard for a yokozuna promotion is back to back yusho. If Mitakeumi wins this tournament, he probably will not be promoted to Ozeki (maybe if its 15-0, but not 14-1 or 13-2). What happens if he wins in January and in March? The answer is that he gets promoted to Ozeki. You are not allowed to skip the Ozeki rank, you can only be promoted to Yokozuna from Ozeki, period.

You can be demoted from Ozeki, Kotoshogiku used to be one, though he'll always be "former Ozeki". Yokozuna is the only rank that you can't be demoted from.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm looking at a pretty bad weekend, but Tochinoshin winning the yusho would be a pretty awesome counterbalance.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am so bummed about Kisenosato. Him getting to yokozuna and winning that first tournament was incredible, but goddamn that injury.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ichinojo looks really tough now that he seems to actually be trying.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I recognized Goeido waiting in the tunnel just by seeing his belly.

Kotoshogiku has to just be fighting to stay in the salaried ranks as long as possible at this point, right?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Goeido's henka was some bullshit. Kaisei versus Ichinojo was great, I hadn't realized how similarly sized the two of them actually are.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm really hoping for Ozeki Tochinoshin after the May basho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Fluffdaddy posted:

Everyone loves Endou in Japan for some reason

He does have especially boyish good looks for a rikishi

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Do rikishi always get two cakes? I recall seeing another two-cake birthday photo recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is there any news about Hokutofuji other than "concussed real loving bad"?