Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

You can also watch the whole thing on NHK's site with (very informative!) English commentary

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

Don't make your browser window too tall because they have the day's results right under the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

He was dry retching for a good minute right before his match today - camera cut away before it got messy, fortunately.

Also Tochinoshin WAS loving ROBBED.

:hai:

gently caress the judges. I didn't know it was possible to be mad over sumo but I am!!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'll give it a go too

Y/O: Hakuho, Kakuryu, Tochinoshin
S/K: Mitakeumi, Abi, Ryuden
M1-5: Meisei, Ichinojo, Aoiyama
M6-10: Shohozan, Myogiryu, Shimanoumi
M11+: Kaisei, Sadanoumi, Chiyomaru

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Yep, didn't expect to find myself cheering against Aoiyama but there I was hoping his rear end got sat down

His rear end was not sat down :(

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Meisei :argh:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I would like to trade Kaisei for Kotoyuki

Should have dumped him sooner :(

I don't know what the hell's going on with Meisei either but he has to get some wins eventually.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Enho is awesome, that is all.

:yeah:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ugh looked like Takayasu couldn't use his arm at all in that bout. Please don't die trying to get a kachikoshi.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Daamn, Beast Mode Kakuryu :stare:

It's awesome when the Yokozuna kick it into a second gear and show why they're the best

Also, what the hell Meisei, you can put in that effort against Mitakeumi but can't beat a one-armed Takayasu? :argh:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Yep, Meisei and Kaisei sunk me :( Lessons learned for the next one!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe I missed it on the broadcast, but I thought he was just taken back cos he thought he'd won, cos Shohozan's hand touched down .

His leg twisted in a pretty weird way (and then sprang him up like a jack-in-the-box), yeah he's small but only relative to sumo wrestlers :ohdear:

Hope he's alright, it would be too lovely to have him injured at 7 wins two bashos in a row.

also seriously what a crummy way to lose a bout by having the top of your foot touch, he's found some incredible ways to both win and lose

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Enho is the kimarite bingo champion.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Y/O: Kakuryu / Hakuho / Takayasu
S/K: Mitakeumi / Abi / Takakeisho
M1-5: Ichinojo / Asanoyama / Aoiyama
M6-10: Kotoyuki / Takarafuji / Shimanoumi
M11+: Tsurugisho / Daishoho / Enho

e: I had fudged Kakuryu's name for some reason

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 6, 2019

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Thanks, yeah I'll take Goeido instead.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Guess I'll go ahead and trade Goeido for Kakuryu then.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

He basically rear end-to-grass squatted Shohozan. He's a machine.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Enho                was robbed

I thought you could make a case for the dead body rule there, but yeah.

Tsurugisho got hosed too. :argh: Judges :argh:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I want to see what it would look like for Enho to fight Ichinojo. Are there any rules about just climbing on your opponent like its Shadow of the Colossus?

Wonder no more. Okay it's old but it's like they're both just scaled down a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSoOpWVBREE

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bessantj posted:

Enho is back baby. He's winning again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

I think he watched Ishiura's bout and said, you know what, I'm going to not do that on the tachi-ai.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

anakha posted:

Gyoji hosed up on the tachi-ai in the last match, IMO. That didn't look like a matta to me.

hosed up the match before too. What the hell is a hamatta?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Yup, another great basho. And I'm not just saying that because fantasy went well :)

I'm glad Okinoumi didn't win or even make the playoff after the judges gave him a phantom win yesterday, would have soured the whole event.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kenning posted:

Tsurugisho was a surprisingly good pick!

It looked like he was tearing up Juryo so he seemed like a good choice. Didn't expect him to do quite that well at Makuuchi though!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Didn't have time to do proper picks this time, I'll get in the next one for sure.

Hakuho's loss confused me, he wasn't out until he seemed to give up. Maybe he was off balance but it really looked like he could have recovered.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Better day on the clay. Takayasu didn’t look useless. I still think Tochinoshin has about as much chance of getting ten wins as I do but hey, prove me wrong Tochi...

He hasn't been bad so far, just not dominant like he once was. I do agree that 10 wins against the top of the banzuke is close to impossible.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Shiroc posted:

It seems like they would have a lot less injuries if the Dohyo was either just at ground level or lowered a lot. Wakatakakage and Tomokaze were both hurt coming off it, not even in the actual bouts.

They can't lower the dohyo, that would break the tradition.

Maybe they can raise the ground around it.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

He stopped the bout the first time it happened, and both wrestlers complained to him. I guess that's why he so begrudgingly let it go the second time.

Sumo like all sports has a lot of people who have very strong opinions about "playing the game the right way", except instead of being fans it's all the people in control of the entire system.

anyway in other day 8 happenings, Terutsuyoshi faking a henka and then going low kicked rear end

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Rigel posted:

The Day 8 match between Ishiura and Nishikigi resulted in one of the rarest kimarite in sumo, a Mitokorozeme (a "triple attack", wrapping a leg around one leg in a sweep, while grabbing the other leg, and also while pressing your head against your opponent's chest).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujmK3lwk0s

Thanks for pointing this out! I watched NattoSumo's highlights and they had it as a Sotogake. Rare kimarite are cool.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

There's no such thing as too much Aoiyama

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Laughed at Enho grabbing the mawashi by the thong. He's a brave and gross man to put his fingers up a sumo wrestler's crack.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm surprised there wasn't so much as a mono-ii for Chiyomaru-Sadanoumi. Looked to me that Chiyomaru stepped out while Sadanoumi was still in the air even in real-time, and watching in slow motion shows it wasn't even close.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

How nice to have three bouts between 7-7 rikishi on the final day :)

Hell yeah Enho! Wasn't sure he would be able to knock off Daishoho but he had a great match. I should learn to stop doubting him by now.

Hakuho is so fun to watch, never seen someone caught off guard with the quick tap like that. Takakeisho did well to recover and hold off Hakuho for so long.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Reading on and trying to figure out promotion around S/K is kind of interesting.

So Komusubi is kind of like an extension of the Maegashira ranks, in that if you post a kachi-koshi you will move up. Once you've reached komusubi a mere kachi-koshi isn't necessarily enough, you need 11 wins to guarantee promotion to sekiwake, otherwise there must be room.

Demotions on the other hand, looks like there are no firm rules. A 7-8 probably drops you from S to K. Anything worse could be multiple ranks. I found one rikishi who posted a pedestrian 6-9 as a Sekiwake (west, granted) and dropped all the way to M11 from it.

So looking at the standings, here's what I can figure out

(O) Takakeisho
(O) Goeido - kadoban
(O) Takayasu - demoted to Sekiwake

(S) Mitakeumi - 6-9 - Seems harsh to drop him all the way to M ranks from one meh tournament especially coming off a yusho, but there are two Komusubi slots filled already. From what I understand, they only have more than two komusubi/sekiwake if a rikishi can't reasonably be denied that rank. So I guess it's bad luck that he drops off.
(S) Tochinoshin - 2-3-10 - RIP :( Back to Maegashira for the former Ozeki.

(K) Asanoyama - 11-4 - should be promoted
(K) Abi - 9-6 - with two sekiwake, not strong enough to merit promotion, stays Komusubi
(K) Endo - 7-8 - demoted
(K) Hokutofuhi - 7-8 - demoted

Note: Not a single rikishi M1-M9 went better than 8-7. So no chance someone leaps into Komusubi.

(M1) Daieisho - 8-7 - guaranteed promotion to K
(M2) Myogiryu - 8-7 - already 2 Komusubi, probably M1

So here's what I am guessing the top of the banzuke will look like next time? Would be a lot leaner.

(O) Takakeisho
(O) Goeido (kadoban)

(S) Takayasu
(S) Asanoyama

(K) Abi
(K) Daieisho

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

babbys first basho over here

question about Day 15's Takakeisho v Hakuho:

why didn't Takakeisho try to do something with his left hand while they were locked up? no attempt to get a grip or anything. it just hangs there uselessly

They're using all their energy holding each other in place because they are two very big and strong men pushing as hard as they can.

Well, more likely Takakeisho is at his limit and Hakuho is holding back a bit and saving energy, because he is the greatest. He has a few matches like this where he just starves his opponent, when he's not able to instantly clown them.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

anakha posted:

IMO, that final match was indicative of present-day Hakuho who is no longer as physically dominant but still successful. He conserves his strength more and employs yokozuna-level mindgames/tactics at the tachi-ai (slaps, forearm shivers, that quick hand drop yesterday to get Takakeisho off-balance).

I think he knows his body/physical condition is no longer what it used to be and adjusted his style accordingly.

This makes me wonder though - will Hakuho decide to retire on his own with no prompting from the elders after the Olympics? I kinda don't want to see his career end like so many others have had - a losing record (with possible kyujo) then a retirement announcement. Call me idealistic, but a Jordan circa 1998 retirement would be the best way for him to go out.

Crazy to think about retirement when he just went 14-1 (with the one loss being a very uncharacteristic misstep, not getting beaten by a clearly superior opponent), and never even looked threatened in any of those wins.

I know he's getting old and has had injuries, but I'd like to see him go at least until he's not the favourite to win every tournament. Ideally it'd be after going 12-3 and winning in a playoff or something like that.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 25, 2019

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah you're right, I had remembered incorrectly that when Kotoshogiku had a similar situation they only demoted him from sekiwake to komusube, but that was only a 7-8 loss.

Fortunately for Tochinoshin, the upper maegashira fared pretty poorly this basho (Only 5 rikishi M1-M7 scored a kachikoshi, all of them on 8-7). So there should be space for him to make a soft landing, so to speak.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I just watch the NattoSumo replays. I could watch live, but there is a long time in between bouts and I only care about the action. I like that Natto shows all the replays, and all the mattas (and even the walk-up, before the biggest bouts) so you don't miss anything. I like Kintamayama's commentary but I feel that he cuts way too much, even the middle of bouts if they go on a long time. If two big dudes hug it out for a minute I want to see all the tension!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Hey I called it.

Ikioi and Kaisei are back, good luck to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

High school baseball is a special case. A lot of high school teams live and die by their ace pitcher, especially the ones that aren't the perennial powerhouses that are able to recruit talent. But yes they overwork pitchers like mad and there really ought to be strict pitch limits.

It seems there is a culture shift happening on that front. Roki Sasaki is the latest pitching phenom, and there was a *big fuss* this year. He threw some ungodly amount of pitches in a Koshien qualifying tournament including a 12 inning complete game or something crazy like that in the semi-finals. The finals were the following day and the manager decided to sit him instead of completely destroying his arm. (Again, this was just a qualifier for Koshien -- just making the Koshien tournament is a huge deal and a dream for most players, but there was still a long road to go.) His team got squashed in the finals and people were very upset at the team for not sacrificing a teenager to the baseball gods to the point that the school was receiving death threats :(