Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fryhtaning posted:

I could hear in my head every yaocho nutjob from sumotalk go silent as an ineffective Kotoshogiku put a huge dent in Kisenosato's yusho/yokozuna hopes, and then immediately hear them start up again as Hakuho got blasted off the tachiai by Takayasu.

In fairness (but seriously, gently caress Sumo Talk), Hakuho did kinda look annoyed like he had to lose to ANOTHER mook just to keep Kise looking good. If Kise loses today, I expect Hakuho just to sigh and fall over at the tachiai.

In other news, TAKANOIWA YUSHO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

IF (and a Gagamaru-sized IF that is) Hakuho lost on purpose, the only reason would be to better ensure that he has the satisfaction of taking Kisenosato out himself. Kisenosato's lack of killer instinct annoys the poo poo out of Hakuho. But even then, lolno.

Maybe he's testing the limits of Kisenosato's self-sabotage for shits and giggles.

Dr.Radical posted:

I got tix for day 14. Hopefully the tournament gets even weirder as it comes to a close.

Are you in the cheap seats or the boxes? The live broadcast has been a bit obsessed with filthy gaijin in the crowd the past couple of days (well, more than usual), so there's a chance you'll be on TV, if you're in the boxes.

Dr.Radical posted:

Day 14 is the day Kisenosato can clinch the yusho. His opponent is a weak Hakuho, still clearly having issues with his previous injury. At the last second, Hakuho's concerned oyakata swoops in with a giant fan on his back and takes Hakuho to safety, forfeiting the match. Despite his technical win, the YDC does not see this as a legitimate yusho, denying it as progress toward Yokozuna promotion. Kisenosato is crushed, spirals into a booze fueled depression.

Good thing you had the foresight to get tickets...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Cheap(ish) seats. Mid row tickets for second floor are still about $50, not exactly what I would call cheap. Me and my friends get tickets at convenience store machines like every other schmuck. On the plus side, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. I mean unless you're seated next to a bunch of loud foreigners who have no idea what's going on.

And yeah, I have seen a ton of whitey on TV lately. I wonder how they get the seats. Available masu seat tickets are not exactly in abundance, never mind the sand seats.

If you're quick with the online ticket site through the NSK, you can get masu seats - when I went in 2015, even though I ended up buying in the nosebleed section, I had the option of a box, but you'd need to be in on the day tix went on sale.

We ended up in the very back southwest corner (sumo west), but the view was great. We got to see the emperor too, and an old English lady (who I'm pretty sure was Doreen Simmons) explained some of the stuff going on for us.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

You just happened to sit next to Doreen? She's almost as much of a legend as Kintamayama on the sumoforums.

Yeah, we thought she was just an eccentric (yet helpful), old lady who really liked sumo - we hadn't watched any sumo before, so had no idea that there even was a Doreen Simmons. She was most unhappy that they hid the beer girls for the emperor's visit, cos she had to leave her seat to get one.

I didn't realise until a few months later when I was googling photos of rikishi and there was one with a familiar-looking old lady....

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

The masu seats are gone way faster than they were going in 2015.

That's pretty fast - I was comparing days and prices for an hour when I bought and watched the seating slowly creep backwards with each enquiry!

I'm starting to really like Mitakeumi. He was interviewed again today - his voice doesn't match his face, so it seems like he's being dubbed. I guess I'm enjoying his fearless sumo too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

He looked almost relieved as he sat down.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The second last match was a bit depressing - as the commentator said, there's two sad ozekis.

Takanoiwa's face after being rolled by Sokokurai was priceless. He knows he's had some good luck this basho, but it doesn't always hold!

I wonder if the yusho winner gets to keep the giant plush macaron...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I missed the live stream on niconico because my selfish wife was booked in for a stupid massage which I had to drive her to, but someone on sumoforums had the foresight to record (or steal a recording) of the TV coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaCrwYPfzc

Fluffs the lead in to the final shiko, but pretty good on the whole considering.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

And on a different note, I just found Hokutofuji on twitter. Oh, the sights we have to show you...

https://twitter.com/hokutofujidaiki/status/803127114333495297

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I could list the ones I have on my twitter account - its a mix of rikishi, a bunch of the lower division dudes, a few yobidashi and a gyoji (I think).

There's a few guys on Instagram too (Takanoiwa, for one), but I've haven't dug that deeply there yet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

Apparently Tokitenkuu (Mongolian who did all the leg kicks) just died. He was only 36 years old. I believe he had a kind of lymphoma that was very beatable, but it must have turned into something else. Very sad... same age as me.

Balls. I was sad he when he went intai, but I thought that at least he was oyakata and could stay in the sumo world and teach some newbie to susaharai or something. Welp.

Uncle Jam posted:

Girlfriend followed some rikishi on twitter and a makuuchi guy (who will remain nameless) that she hadn't followed, followed her and DM'd her.
Slightly surreal.

Weird. I can't say I've had that happen.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Be aware that "east" and "west" in regards to the dohyo are not the same as the cardinal points. Rikishi from the "east" will be on the left when you face "north", not the right.

(on TV, it doesn't matter, cos everyone's names get flashed on the screen, but when you're watching with the torikumi in your hands, it can be confusing.)

Also, make sure you take the most important photo:

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Okay, something is wrong with Hakuho. I have never seen him dominated like that, especially by the likes of Ikioi.

He was out-muscled at the start and he's obviously having trouble with his toe, cos he has trouble getting traction, but I think he was hard done by with that decision. He managed to throw Ikioi as he was getting oshidashi'd. Should've been a torinaoshi, but YMMV.

Takayasu is looking good - the extra weight is working for him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

For those on twitter, @dosukoikyokai is currently all about those rikishi climbing stairs.

For reasons.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rigel posted:

Kisenosato took a very big step forward the last year. He has looked like a yokozuna for a while and often wrestled like one, but his problem was that he would always wilt under the bright lights when he was ahead late in a tournament and choke whenever his big moments came. People were beginning to resign themselves to the belief he'd never get there until 2 months ago, and now he probably wants to prove he wasn't just handed his white rope. A lot of people think he should have had to win again this tournament before yokozuna promotion, so if he DOES win it, or at least lose a playoff, that'll silence the critics because everyone would then have to agree he really earned it.

I think winning the yusho and getting the rope has lifted a massive weight off his shoulders. I haven't seen Kise wrestle this strongly and consistently in the couple of years I've been following sumo. He's wrestling the way Hakuho wrestled before his injuries - neutralise the tachiai, settle in with a good grip, then destroy them. He looks very confident - I don't think he's had any of his usual tics this basho.

This confidence seems to be rubbing off on Takayasu as well - he's been like a wrecking ball. Sokokurai didn't know what hit him yesterday; his facial expression on the slo-mo replay was priceless.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rigel posted:

On the weekends I'll sometimes go ahead and stay up to the middle of the drat night to watch it live online

Where are you watching it, out of curiosity?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The match between Hokutofuji and Takanoiwa was pretty brutal. Kintamiyama shows a bit of Hokutofuji being groggy but he was left standing next to the power water for a while. I was waiting for the poor bugger to collapse. He seemed to perk up on the walk back down the hanamichi.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They mentioned on the live broadcast tonight that Takayasu would be considered for promotion if he went 15-0 this basho. While he does have that 7-8, his two bashos prior were pretty solid.

I realised today that I'd be pretty happy with anyone on the leaderboard getting the yusho - Kisenosato showing he deserves the rope, Takayasu stepping up his game, Terunofuji revitalised or Tochiozan getting another chance at yusho after losing to Kyukotenho all those years ago.

In other news, some good sumo tonight - the Terunofuji and Arawashi match was surprisingly hard fought Teru wins, but Arawashi shows him he needs to work on his belt skills rather than just muscle it.

Sadly, Takayasu loses to a cautious Kak and gets dumped on his bum right in front of senpai. Kise doesn't even open his eyes, but you can sense his disappontment in kohai...

I don't know if Kintamiyama is including the historical yokozuna v yokozuna matches NHK have been playing, but tonight's was a ferocious Hakuho v Asashouryu one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

It doesn't look like Kisenosato is going to be able to pull this one out. He can't do anything with that arm and now he's gotta beat Terunofuji twice in a row.

On the bright side, he looked philosophical about it - it sucks, but not much to be done. Kudos for even showing up though.

I thought something was weird when Teru had his hands down first - he normally waits for ages. Not generally fond of henkas but he did lay the mind game groundwork first.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Holy poo poo. Kise went all out in the torikumi match - kept Teru away from his arm and only used his left shoulder to block. Teru, I think, was mentally thrown. In the play off, it looks like Kise just went for a suicide throw - grabbed the arm and spun.

Terunofuji is physically strong, but he needs to learn some finesse.

Takayasu looking good for his ozeki run!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I would argue that if you've paid attention to Terunofuji before he was injured, he has plenty of finesse. Kisenosato just has almost ten years of sumo experience over him and a mental edge in these matches.

I definitely agree - perhaps I should've said he needs to learn when to apply that finesse, but that'll come. As much as I like a kimidashi, he often seems to rely on being bigger and stronger than his opponent and forgets he can do some good stuff on the belt. I think Kise was depending on that tonight.

As an aside, I think a lighter (and faster) Teru (say around 170kg) with confidence in his yotzu sumo would be nigh unstoppable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apraxin posted:

I think it's always been a problem for Kotoshogiku that he sets up himself up to be henkad, maybe more so than any other high ranker. His preferred style is to go in hard and low at the tachi-ai, smash his opponent back, and then either straight up bulldoze them out or get a belt grip and do the bumpety-bumpety. But he often telegraph really obviously that he's going to do this and has no plan b - sets up way back at the tachi-ai, low posture, eyes down, etc - and the best counter for it is to henka. You can see that most times someone gets henkad the opponent is either trying to slap them straight down or dodge the initial charge so they can come in from the side and hit them while they try to re-position. But with Giku, the opponent just moves out of the way and he goes pinwheeling all the way across the dohyo and off the other side.

I mean, it really sucks that it happened at such a career-defining bout, but at the same time I don't really think it would have been fair to tell Terunofuji 'yeah, he's gonna use his strongest moveset against you, but you can't use the most effective counter'.

And really, it was only a career defining moment because of Kotoshogiku's recent performances. Terunofuji didn't cause Giku to underperform during his two previous bashos nor to lose matches this basho he probably should have won. Teru has his own issues with injury - he looked strong this basho, but the last two days clearly showed he's not 100% confident in his body holding up.

Apraxin posted:

In lighter news, SumoTalk ... and ushered in a new age of darkness:

God, I was vaguely wondering what SumoTalk would make of all this, but not enough to inflict it on myself.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

In all this henka talk, I think we're missing the most important part of Kise's yusho:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/845929623506464768

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

That Endo ACL injury might end up being one of this decade's biggest what-ifs.

Probably not - before the injury, he did well in lower makuuchi, but badly up towards the meat grinder. After the injury, he did well in lower makuuchi, but badly up towards the meat grinder.

Now it looks like he's getting back to strength - he's doing well in lower makuuchi, but badly up towards the meat grinder.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

Kind of like Ikioi, but with less flair.

Lol, yeah. I don't understand Endo's appeal. Other than being more handsome than the other guys (not a huge bar to hurdle, really), he seems pretty milquetoast.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

In fairness to Endo, he had all of 4 bashos in the meatgrinder ranks (5 and up) before that ACL injury in March 2015. I'm willing to cut guys a little more slack for their first few times in those ranks. Even Takayasu had poor showings his first 5 or so bashos at those ranks before breaking through in July 2013 (which was followed by further poor showings until last year).

Yeah, but he wasn't particularly exciting in the way Terunofuji was (and hopefully will be again) or Mitakeumi (or any of the new guys) is shaping up to be.

If Teru had been forced to retire or plodded along in mediocrity (as it seemed he would before last basho) after doing his knees - that would be a massive what-if.

Endo was doing okay and is still doing okay - which is nice - but it feels he would have just been doing okay if he hadn't injured himself.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

He used to hit himself in the face to get psyched up before the fights, it made him blink a lot. My wife and I still call him Blinky.

We went with Twitch.

Fryhtaning posted:

I used to :stonk: at those because those "warmup" faceslams would literally break my face.

Huh, I never noticed that his forehead twitching tapered off since he started doing that less. Coincidence that he has also been much less jumpy at the tachi-ai since?

I'd always thought the tics were the outward expression of his mental state - he'd be sitting ring-side and twitching as well. They've all but ceased over the past year as his confidence has improved.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

What's the antipathy for Mark Buckton?

I think I read the article where he was whinging about people on YouTube sharing the recordings of the bashos (ie Jason and Kinta) from a link on Sumo Forums, which was a bit of an eye roll. Is that fairly representative of his oeuvre?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

He gives strange hot takes that he masquerades as deep analysis of sumo, and its in a widely distributed newspaper that is being read by people who mostly don't have deep interest in sumo. He portrayed a lot of things being more problematic than they really were. Deep analysis for that audience is fine if you give some background info about the recent actions of heya, wrestlers or whatever but he'd just jump into it pulling stuff out of his rear end. On top of that there's a bunch of native English speakers deeply involved with sumo who could've written much much better articles than what he did.

Also since he tweets like 10 times a day I had to go through a shitload of his tweets to find that and every tweet drips with this strange smugness. Like I'm 80% convinced JapanTimes decided to not renew his contract and he just framed it as him ending it because that's just the kind of guy he is.
Like:
https://twitter.com/MarkBuckton1970/status/849629773613547520

I see what you mean about the tweet smugness - I feel like he's ruining my memories of Taiwan by mere association.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

If you're gonna follow one sumo related twitter feed, I recommend yobidashi Shigeo (@PyT9AUoQrqx0TtU):

https://twitter.com/PyT9AUoQrqx0TtU/status/853494718881177600

His pictures on tour are usually funny - you may have seen his ongoing series where he pretends to wrestle various rikishi.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 16, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I believe the zabuton are technically tied together in Kyushu (Fukuoka), but I could be wrong. They still move, it would just take, you know, an entire row to coordinate a massive zabuton toss.

I think the Fukuoka zabutons are giant 4 person ones, so you'd only need to coordinate the people you're sitting with. Might have trouble getting distance though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Its nokotta or 残った which means 'remains' or 'both guys are still in the ring' and basically as long as he is yelling both wrestlers know they haven't stepped out yet. It is kind of like a inverse whistle. I think its done this way instead of a sound when someone steps out because it covers up the grunting noises a bit (no containing Tochinoshin though)

The stuff at the beginning of the bout can be:
matta nash(i) : no more waiting (i becomes a bit silent)
te-o tuite: please put the hands down
te: hands!

Also:

hakke-yoi, which is roughly "show some spirit".

Kimura Yodo, the gyoji on the screen capture for the day 8 video (and objectively the best gyoji) notably uses this during the tachiai.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

And back to noob questions: What was the meaning behind the arrows the gyoji handed out after some bouts? Are those indicative of some of the special prizes being handed out?

They are special prizes, just not the SPECIAL prizes (ie the sansho).

The last three matches of the basho are called kore yori san-yaku.

Before the matches, the three dudes on each side get up and do some shiko together - I don't know if Kintamiyama usually puts that in his digest. This is called sanyaku soroibumi. It looks cool if they're in sync, but somebody usually ruins it.

The winner of each of these matches gets a prize called yaku-zumo ni kano. The winner of the first match gets arrows, the winner of the second gets a bow string and the winner of the third gets a bow.

The bow, incidentally, is related to the bow dance at the end of each day - apparently some yokozuna was awarded the bow and improvised a dance on the dohyo to celebrate.

(Thanks to Sumo Forum glossary for the proper terms - I always forget!)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mary Annette posted:

Care to elaborate? I can't see the upside to this strategy, short of it being a tax write-off or something similar.

There's probably more to it than this, but Shikihide-oyakata's policy for recruiting is based on "love for sumo" not talent.

Hattorizakura, probably the most persistently awful wrestler ever, is from Shikihide:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12268

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, Shikihide is a contraction of Shikimori Hidegoro. Thanks Sumo Reference for that tidbit.

Shikimori is one of the two surnames that the gyojis use, for those who came in late.

I wonder if the contraction is used to avoid confusion...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Sorry, no-one is ever going to take the 'most persistently awful' title from all time MVP Kasachikara.

A twenty-seven year career, No. 371 on the all-time win list, and his highest ever rank was Jonidan 68.

I don't know - Kasachikara already had 18 wins at the same stage of his career as Hattorizakura. I mean, he'll need to persist for another couple of decades, but he's certainly got the (complete and utter lack of ANY) potential to make it!

WindyMan posted:

I think there comes a point where you've just got to respect the guy for doing what he wants to do in life.

Yeah, I've kinda got a little place in my heart for those older guys struggling in the lower divisions.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Probably shouting into the void, posting here between bashos, but in reference to the brief discussion about rikishis who go to college, versus those who start young:

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003662709

This was posted on Sumo Forum just recently.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kibner posted:

Following this thread is what made me give that sumo manga a chance. It's... not terrible for a shonen. Pretty enjoyable, actually. Not high art or anything, but a quality read for its genre and intended audience.

Is that the one with the small dude who wants to do "yokozuna" sumo? I forget the name and I'd like to catch up.

Everytime I see Ogarumo oyakata on the live feed, I always read it "onigaruma" thanks to that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kibner posted:

Yup, that's the one. Hinomaru Zumou. I think they are making an anime out of it soon?

That's it, cheers!

Dr.Radical posted:

There's another one called Notari Matsutaro that was made into an anime in 2014 called Abarenbo Rikishi Matsutaro that might interest you as well.

I watched an episode and a bit of that last night - seemed pretty cool. Super retro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Started getting into sumo last year, and now I'm obsessed. It's such an interesting sport.

Did anyone else think Arawashi took a dive in his day 8 match? It seemed pretty obvious in the slow motion replay.

A bit late to the party (major renovatons, so only just set up my computer) - Arawashi does a breakfall when he realises he's going down - he's done 2 or 3 this basho that I recall. It makes some of his losses look more spectacular than they are. I guess if you're light and agile enough to avoid a Kagayaki-style belly flop, you'd probably do the same. Apparently his shoulder is prone to dislocation, so maybe its to avoid further loving it up.