Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brut posted:

Who are you referring to and what were the causes of death? The most recent death I remember hearing about was Kakuryu's stablemaster, Izutsu-Oyakata and that was some kind of cancer (prostate I think?).

They don't tend to talk about this kind of thing on the official broadcasts, and as for sports science I feel like lately they're actually going backwards, I'm just gonna quote Wikipedia:
Not all from the last year, but:

Chiyonofuji and Izutsu both had pancreatic cancer - obesity and diabetes are both risk factors.
Kitanoumi had colorectal, again obesity is a risk factor.
Tokintenku had lymphoma, but that was more poo poo luck than anything.
There was an oyakata three-four years ago who died for cardiac related reasons at 40, but his name escapes me.

I read an article a couple months ago about Gagamaru where he said he was in denial about diabetes for ages. I'd say that's be par for the course for a lot of wrestlers. At a glance through sumodb, yokozuna Kotozakura battled it for years.

Shiroc posted:

The injuries and macho idiocy of this sport do fill me with lots of conflicted feelings. I really enjoy the actual bouts but I hate how terrible it is to all of the rikishi.

Even without the macho bullshit, it's a pretty harsh thing to do to your body, pretty much the exact opposite of what you'd need to do to live long as possible. And the average weight of rikishi has been creeping up for decades.

Seeing a whole bunch of little guys coming through is great - maybe reversing that trend would minimise some of the health issues with the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rigel posted:

Any objection to this dirty western way of modern sports science thinking can be met with "here's a good sumo wrestler, his name was Kisenosato, he was the great Japanese hope of sumo. Lets see how his career turned out....."

There's a 2019 sumo round up in English, with an interview where Kisenosato talks about this. Phone posting, otherwise I'd link.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rigel posted:

The only thing I am lacking is a sufficiently goony January sumo basho title for the thread, so please feel free to make some submissions now. I'll probably post it in a few days.

Kenning posted:

Watch out! You're going to get a <profound injury> in your <core skeletal/muscular structure>!