Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Nice article about Kakuryu. The natural underdog has finally become a force to reckon with.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/sumo/AJ201204030059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I know next to nothing about sumo, though. Do you know how I'd go about finding out when Tamaasuka competes and how I could get tickets for those events?

I've heard that tickets are much easier to get for big events with sumo's declining popularity; I'm assuming that would be doubly true for events that don't have big headlining yokozuna/ozeki?

There's a lot of intro info in the OP - check it out when you have a little time to kill.

Basically, if he isn't injured, he'll be wrestling 6 times a year in the major tournaments, 3 of which are in Tokyo (where you are I'm assuming, since you met him literally blocks away from where the Tokyo tournaments are). Juryo and makuuchi both wrestle 15 matches over 15 days, so he'll wrestle once a day over a two-week period, against a different wrestler each time. In other words, you'll be there several hours just to see him wrestle once - but seeing several dozen matches live is loving awesome anyway, even if you're just there for one person.

What's surprising to me is that he's wearing a t-shirt... I thought they had strict rules 24/7 about attire and appearances?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

tarepanda posted:

Buying tickets shouldn't be a problem once I know which ones and where to get them, since I have a Japanese bank account and live here, etc.

The next tourney is in May, and it will be at Ryogoku, so your timing is good! Ticket info and other important dates are up on the official site. I'm thinking you'd want to be there around 2pm to catch Juryo (and then Makuuchi), but someone else might want to chime in to give a better time estimate.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wrj3kW7MsI&feature=g-all-u

Ariaiba is no longer doing sumo videos. That sucks because he did ALL the matches. I liked his page, shame.

What a drat shame. Like you said, he was the only reliable source of every individual match.

Fortunately, Kintamayama seemed to get all of the digests last tournament, and I even saw that he commented on Araibira's farewell video, so hopefully he keeps up the good work.

Sucks about not having easily searchable individual matches, for sure. At least for the purposes of this forum, we can link to them using the timestamp of the individual matches within the digests.

Someone did make a good point though... ffs the sumo organization should make this stuff more accessible. Hell, just having an archive of the daily streams would suffice for starters.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

yskohyama had digests up quickly as well, so I hope we're in the clear for getting our highlights online this tournament!

Baruto would have lost if that was anyone but Toyonoshima, who is probably the smallest now that Takanoyama is in juryo. Standing straight up and letting the wrestler have full shoving privileges so you can attempt practically a Zangief suplex - not very smart. Still rooting for the guy to win every time he wrestles...

I'm convinced that roughly 87% of Kotooshu's matches end up with some kind of ungraceful finish. I'm surprised the first two rows don't clear out when he's entering the ring. Jesus.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSm7wWpRc88

Today's stream turned out pretty bad. It's not Kintamayama's fault, but it still sucks. We miss you, Araibira. :smith:

Speaking of Harumafuji, I really think they made the wrong call on his match after watching the replays. There's probably something I didn't see, but it really looks like Harumafuji is still mid-air when Gagamaru touches down. That they didn't even call a mono-ii is very disappointing.

If you can read the names in kanji or can recognize the wrestlers by face (both of which I'm a little shaky at), yskohyama's channel has been rock solid for these first two days. Coverage of each match is slightly longer, too.

I could have sworn that Harumafuji won that match, too. Strange it wasn't even reviewed yet Okinoumi's was when I thought it was obvious that Okinoumi stepped out a beat after his opponent fell.

I may have imagined it, but did Hakuho give Aran a quick smack to the chest after he deposited him out of the ring? He looked a little pissed and cocky about that win. Trying to remember if there was some bad blood between them... but no, I believe it was Harumafuji who Aran henka'd, which caused Harumafuji to henka Hakuho? Couple tourneys ago, I think.

So glad to see Kotooshu dropped on his head... dude is way overdue on getting a losing record. Not a great start for the top foreigners this tournament, in general, except Baruto.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

Fake edit: holy gently caress I wrote a novel. I think I just really missed sumo for the last 6 weeks. :(

Tell me about it.

I don't hate Kotooshu, but I think it's pure luck that the guy is still an Ozeki at this point. He has come close to demotion too much for someone who once won a tournament. In addition, he has no technique or balance and routinely looks foolish against an opponent that he should have no trouble with. With 6 Ozeki now, it'd be a drat miracle if he wins his 8 again, and he shouldn't.

I like Tochinoshin too. He's one of those guys that keeps going from the top to the lower makuuchi between tournaments, so his record fluctuates to the extreme. He can't beat any of the Ozeki, but he plays really well against the rest of the makuuchi.

Also could have sworn Hakuho was thinking of adding a knuckle sandwich to his kimarite, but converted that into a show of altruism at the last second. What the gently caress is wrong with him? Is he going to tear his skin off and transform into Asashoryu on the last day of the tournament, like "gotcha, suckers!" ?

Kise's got personality and an impressive arsenal. Best of the JP wrestlers, for sure.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Toyonoshima vs Kakuryu was an example of sumo at its finest. Balance on both sides, slapfest turned grip-switching belt tussle.

Glad that Aran is 0-4 already. Taking bets on his imminent first henka...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Nice throw by Ama aka Haramafuji

Also I'm really disappointed in Homasho (I forgot how they spell his name). I dont know why ive taken a liking to him but hes 0-4 :(

He's a bit like Tochinoshin in that he tears up the middle, but stinks against those above maegashira. So when either of them make komusubi or maegashira #1 or so, they get pummeled especially in the first week when they mostly face wrestlers higher than them. I look for Homasho to start tearing up the middle in the second week, most likely.

Personally I like his technique, his pre-match chest thump routine, and his almost over-the-top Japanesity. Nobody bows like Homasho.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

pigdog posted:

If he moves like Robocop or C3PO with a slight case of Down's, then that's Takamisakari. :)

Christ, how did I not know about this before? That is some hosed up poo poo. Makes Asashoryu look tame.

Yeah what is going on with Hakuho? I still think it's Asashoryu wearing a Hakuho suit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

The ozeki matches were pretty typical tonight. While Kisenosato's win was pretty likely, I think he pulled it off skillfully. Harumafuji's headbutt had to hurt; he was wincing in pain as he walked off. I thought Kakuryu did a good job as well, but Kintamayama is criticizing him for hatakikomi. Is there anything wrong with hatakikomi outside of a henka?

I think it's like his comments about Hakuho's left hand where he was concerned that he was nursing an injury. If Kakuryu is doing a lot of hatakikomi, he might not be able to thrust and shove well for some reason.

Homasho just can't wait to wrestle someone ranked lower than him and who isn't an Ozeki...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I agree that Baruto got way too cocky. Nearly getting lifted out of the ring himself should be a wakeup call that just because he is the biggest and strongest doesn't mean that he can win just from being so.

Seriously, Myogiryu? I just had to look him up to see who this mystery wrestler is who has already beaten 4 ozeki. He lost to all 6 ozeki, Hakuho, and Yoshikaze last tournament, but beat everyone else. Now he's 4-3 against the top 7 wrestlers. Amazing.

Speaking of Yoshikaze, looks like he finally gives a gently caress again. Wonder what was going on for him to suddenly have life again.. no injury heals that suddenly aside from maybe a jammed wrist or something.

Was also shocked as hell that Aran didn't henka Kakuryu... maybe the yakuza finally got to him and told him what would happen if he did that again.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Lock posted:

The NHK English broadcasters were saying something about a sprained finger, for what it's worth. No idea how accurate that is.

There was rumor of a sprained left finger, but then he made a massive throw with his left hand, so so much for that.

More likely he is pressing too hard because he wants to win. What record is the next major one for him to break? He's years away from Kaio's total wins just due to the time needed to set such a record. Maybe he's trying too hard for something just out of reach. He is obviously already rich, so individual matches mean nothing to him...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

Maybe it's because I'm new but I didn't think today was boring! No real back and forth battles, but some spectacular falls. And we get to see the rising frustration and desperation of a Yokozuna on a losing streak.

I also want to say how much I love the thread title. At first I thought it was just a dumb typo, but now that I get the joke I think it's the funniest title on the forum. It gives me a good giggle.

I enjoyed today as well! A few superb matches and plenty of building drama, with the first drop-outs due to injury rolling in, and some other wrestlers nursing injuries. Hakuho starting to crumble. The tournament still being anyone's.

I started the thread as "pigs colliding", due to the defining quote from the scandal times, but someone else came up with the perfect tweak. It'll be really hard to top that one enough to change it again imo.

seorin posted:

Kisenosato vs. Kotoshogiku was pretty much the match of the day and I have to give Kotoshogiku some credit for a good match despite his injury - if you watch closely, you can see him reach down to brace his knee at one point when it starts to buckle. If he were in top shape, he likely would have won.

I honestly can't believe Hakuho lost again. He looked pissed. The interview with the winner is always hilarious, though. "You beat him for the first time in a long time. How do you feel?" "*pant* *wheeze* *gasp* *pant* Happy."

Credit is due to Kisenosato as well, since a lot of rikishi would still have lost to Kotoshogiku with that effort. Kisenosato is incredibly balanced and hard to move and he just wore out Kotoshogiku for the win. If Kisenosato gets the yusho, it'll be well-deserved.

We're really seeing a new side to Hakuho, aren't we? Turns out he's kind of a sore loser, I think. His personality is Haku-ho-hum when he's going 14-1/15-0 and yusho-ing, but when he actually loses he looks like such a poor sport compared to, well, pretty much any other rikishi. Do us all a favor and keep us up to date on what the local papers are writing, because I'm very interested in what's going on with him!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

He's already 0-9 so demotion is guaranteed. If he went 0-15 would he be in danger of getting dropped from makuuchi completely?

Nah, he'll probably drop down to #10 or so. He went 9-4 as #4, so making GBS threads the bed for one tournament won't send him down to juryo. I'm sure he'll henka his way to a couple or few victories to soften the fall a little bit.

seorin posted:

Aran did alright last tournament. He went 9-6, which means he actually got promoted, and that's why he's had to face off against all the ozeki this tournament.

Only a yokozuna can't be demoted. Even ozeki aren't immune. The announcers were speculating yesterday that Harumafuji is starting to get in danger of demotion.

7 of the 9 wins being hatakikomi, and iirc at least 3 being outright henka. Dude is just getting bit in the rear end, so I have to confess schadenfreude on Aran myself. The recent henka backfire was especially delicious.

Harumafuji is in danger indeed since he's only 5-4 and hasn't faced most of the ozeki yet. However, he probably should have gotten the win against Gagamaru and 2 of his other losses were to giant-killers Toyohibiki and Myogiryu, so I think he should be able to pull off an 8-7. Will they outright him from ozeki after one tournament, or will he get a second chance?

The sumo org must be making GBS threads themselves at all the permanent kinboshi salary boosts from this tournament. I wonder where they'll draw the line before insisting on retirement.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

TotallyGreen posted:

You get a boost for every kinboshi. However, I don't think Toyonoshima is eligible because he's Sekiwake. I believe only Maegashira are eligible for kinboshi.

You're right, I totally blanked on that. I thought it was non-ozeki only, even though I have it in the drat OP as otherwise.

Hakuho has been beaten by a komusubi, both sekiwake, and one maegashira (Toyohibiki), so there has actually only been one kinboshi.

I think even with 0-15, you wouldn't get demoted from ozeki. Such demotions have been very rare. Any losing record puts you on "kadoban" (do or die), from which an 8-7 even puts you back in safety.

Dropping out early of course would put you on kadoban, which has happened to Kotooshu 4 times, for example. He followed up each with a winning record so he is still an ozeki for 6 years running as a result.

Harumafuji came close to being demoted last year when he dropped out and went 0-4-11, then followed up with an 8-7. He'd have been the first one to be actually demoted in a long time had he gone 7-8.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

I do wonder about that Hakuho match. Is Hakuho just that overwhelming, or was Kakuryu not even trying?

When Hakuho gets his arm under like that, it's game over. Just look at Kakuryu's left arm flopping uselessly in the air as he tries to make anything of it.

Yeah, Homasho losing to Aran was a double whammy. At least it was finally some good sumo from Aran, so we can't disrespect that too much. Homasho is on the wrong side of 30, so his best days are likely behind him.

A few amazing throws/tackles today, especially Harumafuji's. You could see him completely reverse gears on Goeido's move and transfer it all back against him.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

Homasho vs. Baruto was some drat good sumo: Homasho put up a good fight, but Baruto stayed patient, didn't get too cocky, and transitioned a rocky start into yotsu-zumo, where he has the biggest advantage. Kotoshogiku needed that win, and I knew he was going to try for it on the lighter Harumafuji, because it was probably his best chance to go for it with his knee injury; bad news for Harumafuji, though, who sinks ever closer to make-koshi.

Kisenosato's match was obviously the focus of the night. He seems like he's starting to feel the pressure and I think he slipped up a bit. He never should have let Kakuryu get a belt grip in the first place, leading to the rematch. He did a much better job of that on the second attempt, and it's why he was able to win. It was definitely a match worth watching, and it was kind of funny to have Hakuho's extremely predictable victory over Kotooshu following it.

Kakuryu went at him like a bull seeing red, so kudos to Kisenosato for keeping his cool and forcing the rematch. Kakuryu probably didn't have much left in the tank after that, so the outcome was all too predictable.

Foreigners Harumafuji and Kotooshu have got to be feeling the pressure now... and I'm sure the JP are torn on how they feel about that since they are two of the most-loved foreigners in sumo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Has Kintamayama stopped posting the vids?

Nooooooo

For some reason, I thought yskohyama was also in the OP. Need to add that one... (Edit: added.)

It's all in Japanese only, but if you can recognize faces or their names in kanji, his feed is as good as anyone's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/yskohyama

Day 13 is up and split into two sections. Obviously the more important ones will be in part 2.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 18, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

Wow, how strong is Hakuhou to manhandle Baruto like that?

Kisenosato always has the smuggest face after his wins, so no matter what he does he's going to look like a dick.

He has the most asymmetrical face ever. Course, if you watch his final warmup routine, it shouldn't surprise you much (smacks his own face with enough force to break mine). He also has crazy Tourette, if you watch him closely. Between that and the :smug:, he's the ultimate goon rikishi.

Jesus, this basho is crazy. I've never seen it come down to the last day like this before. I want Kisenosato to win for the sake of sumo, because I want to see another yokozuna soon and that creates the best chance, but seeing Kyokutenho win it and going out on top would be pretty sweet too. That'll be pretty hosed up to see Tochiozan win the whole thing while only having to wrestle 3 of the top 7 wrestlers. When is the last time some rank-and-filer won just because the ozeki and yokozuna were too busy beating the poo poo out of each other? Either way, it'll be nice to see Hakuho not win it, which can only happen via playoff if all 3 of the leaders lose.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

This was the first Basho that I've followed, and an amazing one at that. I used to watch the ESPN2 show when I was a kid, but it's really awesome being able to follow it. Are there any Bashos that anyone would recommend to watch?

There are 6 every year in Japan, every two months. Unfortunately, that means after every 2 weeks of action we're all sitting around waiting for 6 weeks for the next one to start. Next will be July - you can find all that info on the main page listed in the OP.

As far as "sumo" in other countries, which I've only heard of happening in Mongolia, I have no idea how those would be followed.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

This thread pops up with the Basho, don't worry I think there's enough interest to keep it around!

We'll be bumpin' once the tournament starts.

I'm really interested to see if Hakuho makes a comeback, or if he is truly on the decline. Some of his losses were very close, but it's loving Hakuho.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Can't believe Toyonoshima almost took out Hakuho before the rematch.

Good to see Baruto being patient against the weaker foes... and good showings by Myogiryu so far, but still an 0-2 start.

Also glad to see Thumper (Homasho) off to a great start!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Really enjoying this basho so far. A few major disappointments and a number of amazing matches. I would not be surprised if this comes down to a playoff between Haruma and Hakuho. I will be rooting for Harumafuji, of course, as I really would like to see someone make a run for yokozuna sometime soon. Since Baruto is a choke, Kotooshu is floating along like a turd in a sewer, and the rest of the Ozeki just haven't dominated at any point, it seems like Harumafuji looks like the one with the best shot. But being slightly older than Hakuho at 28, he's racing the biological clock at this point.

Poor Kyokutenho. I think it's a given that he retires after this basho... he probably should have after his yusho. Too bad he's going out at 0-15 at this rate, instead of as a tournament champion.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Realistically speaking, with the level of sumo he's displaying Harumafuji is the only ozeki that has a shot to make it to yokozuna. I don't think his age is the biggest hurdle that's going to keep him from getting there though, I just really doubt whether or not he'll be able to win two basho's in a row as long as Hakuho is around. Having said that, with his current form, this basho presents a golden opportunity to get at least that first win and if he has any serious ambitions towards promotion he really should seize it.

He might not get 2 in a row, but he can absolutely take another route that has been taken before... in a span of 3 tournaments, win 1 and be runner up in the other 2. Seems to be a caveat with none of those falling below 12 wins either. If he wins this one, he should ignore Hakuho and focus on winning the other 14 matches in the next two tournaments. Course, he went 8-7 last tournament, so he could easily choke again.

Seriously, Aran has been winning with great technique. That was horseshit and I'm glad it blew up in his face. I really don't get why henka are so frequent in sumo considering how staunch the Japanese are about honor and saving face.

Taka put on a hell of a show lately, but he looked like he gave up on that last one. Just went straight into a shoving match, where he has no chance. Really?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Pvt. Public posted:

I'm hoping my current plans comes good and I get to meet with and possibly eat and drink with a couple makuuchi wrestlers during the January basho. If so, I drat sure plan on asking about it because I certainly despise their existence and it boggles my mind why it is tolerated in modern sumo.

Also, I am quickly becoming a fan of Shouhouzan.

You might get killed for even implying that they're doing something dishonorable. Godspeed.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

I was under the misapprehension that winning two in a row was a hard and fast rule, apparently only a guideline. It still seems the only surefire way of actually getting promoted to me, as Takanohana in '93 and Konishiki in '92 met those criteria and didn't get promoted. Onokuni in '87 seems to be the last one to be promoted without winning two in a row.

Maybe if it's sandwiched... I'm not sure, really... obviously it comes down to a vote by the council, but it's at least established that the minimum is a yusho and two jun-yusho over 3 tournaments.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

A bit off topic but how long it take for you to get the language down?

Also, I thought that was a great final match. I'm really gonna pull for Harumafuji in September.

Same, just because I need to bust this first Yokozuna nut. Hakuho could dominate another 5 years if Harumafuji can't close the deal.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

tarepanda posted:

Oh, someone before asked about henka. I think it's really weird, actually, how henka is looked down on in sumo... because we have similar moves in kendo that are actually admired because they're very difficult to pull off well.

I get it, somewhat. You're giving up your forward momentum to punish what you believe will be a hard-charging opponent. It's like throwing a changeup in baseball, an equalizer to keep your opponents from getting overzealous and sitting on your fastball.

The difference is that 90%+ of sumo matches have a classic tachi-ai, so if you often look for a henka, you're going to get steamrolled most of the time. So then you yourself become an easy henka target because looking for a henka puts you at a disadvantage. I think Hakuho's henka was actually an example of one done right. Kisenosato kept false starting so it was obvious to the world that he was going to blindly charge at the tachi-ai. But cheap henkas just to get a cheap win... I agree that they are not good for the game.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How do you define "cheap"? That's kind of ridiculous, to me. If a wrestler gets caught by a henka, it's their fault -- there's a reason it often doesn't work on the more elite wrestlers. What would really be "not good for the game" is if there were no henkas at all, since it would strip a layer of nuance and technique away from sumo.

Again, I don't understand how the thread can simultaneously love Takanoyama and dislike henkas, since most of the time henkas are the only way he can compete.

Takanoyama is pretty clearly an exception, because if you expect him to charge you head on you're an idiot.

I dunno, it's not an easy argument to firmly stand on either side of. Aran is not a hard charger and he does it often enough that it's your own fault if you fall for it. Hakuho did it perfectly to stuff someone who was tipping his hand for the whole world to see right from the start. Kisenosato is incredibly balanced and it was still obvious he was going in with a head of steam. That's all good henka, I would argue.

I think where the valid criticism comes is where it becomes, to use another baseball analogy, a beanball war like it did last tournament or the one before.. where someone got henka'd and then returned the favor to someone else. I can't remember the details exactly, but I know Harumafuji was involved and possibly another Ozeki. Also doing it to eke out your kachi-koshi because you're playing like poo poo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wow, this is pretty unheard of if true:

http://www.infomongolia.com/ct/ci/4604

Kind of a misleading title, though... But guaranteed Yokozuna if he wins 13 (or the tournament with less)? Before this yusho, he had gone 8-7 in 3 of 5 tournaments, with only 11 wins in the other 2. Now they won't even require him to have a third great showing if he wins 13 or 14 but doesn't take the yusho? Wow.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

There are a whole lot of hairy chests up top now.

I hope Myogiryu owns, and that the earth opens up and swallows Kotooshu. And of course, I hope I finally get to see the next Yokozuna by way of a Harumafuji yusho.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

euthy posted:

Does anybody have a link that lists English translations of the rikishi's names? I haven't had much luck myself with Google.

A lot of names don't really translate to English well, unfortunately.

At the most basic level you can find the kanji characters and put them into Google Translate or a kanji dictionary to find out. You can go to the Japanese version of the main sumo page, or go to Wikipedia to get the kanji.

Example, Hakuho - 白鵬

If you plug that into Google Translate, it'll simply say "Hakuho". If you put them in one kanji at a time, you'll instead see 白-white and 鵬-peng (a Garuda-type mythical bird). So that name is fairly simple.

Some are less so, like Kisenosato - 稀勢の里. If you plug that in, you'll get "village of rare vigor." Probably only a Japanese-fluent person would understand the true meaning of that name, but dissecting it by kanji again shows that "rare vigor" could translate to something more like "great strength".

For some wrestlers, it means nothing aside from a way to kanji-ly represent a non-Japanese word. Baruto (把瑠都), when pronounced by a Japanese person, sounds like "Balto", since he is from near the Baltic Sea. The individual kanji translate to "bunch", "takeru(?)", and "capital". No meaning whatsoever.

Then there's the east Asian trend where individual characters are passed down from generation to generation for given names, such as Nobunaga Oda's descendants all having names with the "Nobu" character - Nobutada, Nobunari, Nobuhide, Nobuhiro, etc. Stables will often do that either with a character common to their stable or to the stablemaster himself. The best example is Sadogatake beya where everyone is Koto-something - Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku, Kotomitsuki, etc. That is in honor of the original founder, Kotonishiki. Once again this typically has no meaning - i.e. Kotoshogiku (琴奨菊) - 琴-Japanese harp, 奨-recommended, 菊-chrysanthemum.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

To all the Japanese speakers in the thread, where did you learn the language? I've been self teaching on and off for years now but I don't think that it works for me. I know a bunch of words and the kana memorized, but can't seem to find fluency or a good way to practice. Sorry for the derail.

Anyway I'm going to be in Tokyo in October (no basho booo) but plan on swinging by the museum and trying to get a stable visit. Any thoughts?

I'm the exact same as you, and I'm pretty much stagnated. I really don't think I could get over the next hump in Understanding Worth A drat unless I made it a serious hobby by immersing myself in anime and/or foreign language exchange, or living in Japan. I have 2 or 3 apps for learning kanji on my phone I'll kill 10 or 15 minutes with here and there, but even that is reaching the point where the kanji themselves are starting to have loving arcane meanings. And I'm still at less than 300 kanji memorized.

I know a lot of beya allow visits for observing early morning workouts. Unfortunately I didn't experience it myself. I would check out Sadogatake beya - it's big, famous, near Tokyo, and probably is used to getting a lot of requests for visits since they have 2 active Ozeki (Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku). I've seen a couple of articles written up about experiences with visits there, too. You might need someone fluent in Japanese to help you with the setting up of the visit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Myogiryu needs to learn that Kisenosato is probably the the rikishi most balanced on his feet. Can't get cute with the tactics like that.

Very strange on the non mono ii with Baruto. Real bummer since that's a huge blow this early on with the talent up top.

Loved seeing my chest-thumping boy Homasho show some fine sumo against Goeido.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Great day for sumo, although no major surprises. Kisenosato's inability to be thrown off balance amazes me more the longer I watch him. Not counting Harumafuji's recent resurgence, I had always thought Baruto had the best shot at being the next Yokozuna. But now, between Kisenosato's rock solid technique and being the only rikishi with Hakuho's number, and Baruto's inconsistency, Kisenosato definitely has the better shot long term.

Interesting shove by Myogiryu. Homasho is a class act and didn't come aggressively off of that false start. No reason to be pissed at the end of that match.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Poor Baruto getting the poo poo end of everything this basho. That was a :swoon: win, then he has it taken away and hurts himself the second time.

Harumafuji is lucky that Shouhozan was in full-advance mode when he charged him like that, considering how many others fell flat on their face trying to push forward like that.

Best win of the day was Homasho fo'sho. Both of his wins have been extremely impressive, and Kotoshogiku usually has his number. Mancrush reaching epic proportions...

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mornacale posted:

A request from the gallery: could the first commenter or two after each video use their spoiler tags such that they leave the match names visible and the comments spoiled? I try to follow along with folks' commentary as I watch, but when it's all in one spoiler tag or the names aren't visible it's easy to unintentionally read ahead.

You mean like how Funkysauce did it?

That is an excellent idea. I shall make haste in following suit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Oh you meant leave the comments spoilered, not spoiled. Derp.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Kyokutenhou, managed to get another win, already doubling his score from last basho. Wonder what's making him so erratic.

Amazing how much better you wrestle when you don't even have to wrestle Ozeki, isn't it? He was M7 when he yusho'd, and he only had to wrestle one Ozeki, Kotooshu (which is like wrestling another M7). Then he went to M1, where he had to wrestle all 6 Ozeki and Hakuho, losing to every one of them. Now he's back down to M11, where he may not have to wrestle any Ozeki at all. He is in the same boat as Tochinoshin, Aoiyama, Gagamaru in that he can dominate the rank-and-filers but stands no chance against the top.

Just Winging It posted:

Homashou, bags his second ozeki of the basho by beating Kakuryuu with a commanding performance.

'at's my boy!

Shouhozan sure is impressing this tournament, and finally has a scalp to show for it. Even if it was the sorry excuse of an Ozeki himself, Kotooshu.

Edit: Also, I think these injuries hurt Harumafuji, especially if he is the runner-up. a 14-1 or 13-2 runner-up record would be a fairly slim chance as it is, but if two of those wins were freebies against Ozeki, I think the council would weigh that against him. Kotoshogiku might be back in time for his matchup with Harumafuji, though.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 12, 2012