Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I ran into a sumo wrestler yesterday after I got off the bus. He was super kind and talked with me for a bit. He said his name was Tamaasuka. Again, he was a super nice guy.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dr.Radical posted:

You met a former makuuchi (top division) wrestler! That's pretty awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamaasuka

Edit: Also where do you live, if you don't mind me asking and where did you see Tamaasuka? Getting into sumo makes me want to go back to Japan so loving bad to go to a tournament, see if I could get into a sumo practice in the morning, etc.

I got a picture with him, too. Such a nice guy. He and his family were waiting at a stoplight while going home from a public bath or something. This was in Ryogoku. It was all chance since I stayed on my bus too long and missed my normal stop.

Meeting him made me want to go to some matches and cheer for him, honestly.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've read/heard that Baruto is one of the nicest guys ever, but it's really hard to believe in things like that when they're about famous people you've never met.

I know next to nothing about sumo, though. Do you know how I'd go about finding out when Tamaasuka competes and how I could get tickets for those events?

I've heard that tickets are much easier to get for big events with sumo's declining popularity; I'm assuming that would be doubly true for events that don't have big headlining yokozuna/ozeki?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Fryhtaning posted:

There's a lot of intro info in the OP - check it out when you have a little time to kill.

Basically, if he isn't injured, he'll be wrestling 6 times a year in the major tournaments, 3 of which are in Tokyo (where you are I'm assuming, since you met him literally blocks away from where the Tokyo tournaments are). Juryo and makuuchi both wrestle 15 matches over 15 days, so he'll wrestle once a day over a two-week period, against a different wrestler each time. In other words, you'll be there several hours just to see him wrestle once - but seeing several dozen matches live is loving awesome anyway, even if you're just there for one person.

What's surprising to me is that he's wearing a t-shirt... I thought they had strict rules 24/7 about attire and appearances?

I live in the area, so it would be very easy for me to hop over there to watch a tournament. My working schedule is very flexible, too.

Buying tickets shouldn't be a problem once I know which ones and where to get them, since I have a Japanese bank account and live here, etc.

I don't know about attire... but I wouldn't want to get him in trouble. He and his family were obviously heading home from the bathhouse, though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I only saw a quick summary of the scores while we were flipping around looking at tornado coverage, but I did see that my man Tamaasuka won a match!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

seorin posted:

I know tarepanda is interested, though, so here's what I did find:
Today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzqSZ7tLEZw
While the stream shows them conferring for the mono-ii is when my TV broadcast shows those replays I'm always talking about. I didn't see it today, though. Sometimes I don't even get to see juryo at all even if I'm home.
Tamaasuka vs. Takanoyama?! (old): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BIWu71rTK8
I also somehow found a compilation of every match of Tamaasuka's from January this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgAeUZd7Eo

Thank you! That's really awesome.

I can't believe how I went from "I don't give a poo poo about sumo" to "THIS GUY IS AWESOME BECAUSE HE'S FRIENDLY."

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Perhaps he has some kind of minor injury?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Oh, someone before asked about henka. I think it's really weird, actually, how henka is looked down on in sumo... because we have similar moves in kendo that are actually admired because they're very difficult to pull off well.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
When I first started learning Japanese, I got a HUGE kick out of translating (real, not sumo) Japanese names as if they were Native American names. You know, Dances With Wolves and all that?

"Small Flower by the Tall Bridge"

"Strong Man from the Field" etc

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dr.Radical posted:

Yamamotoyama actually refers to his actual last name, Yamamoto so that would be Yamamoto Mountain

Are you serious? Yamamotoyama?

His stable must have hated him.

(I know a Japanese person named Kondou Fujichika. I've always suspected that her father was upset about getting a girl.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Funkysauce posted:

To all the Japanese speakers in the thread, where did you learn the language? I've been self teaching on and off for years now but I don't think that it works for me. I know a bunch of words and the kana memorized, but can't seem to find fluency or a good way to practice. Sorry for the derail.

Anyway I'm going to be in Tokyo in October (no basho booo) but plan on swinging by the museum and trying to get a stable visit. Any thoughts?

Three years in college for a foundation, been living in Japan since I graduated.

Study a bit every day, be consistent, don't try to cram, and find ways to use your Japanese (i.e., write a lot on lang-8 or talk to Japanese people on Skype or whatever) -- if you don't use it, it's really hard for your brain to build any kind of useful context for all of the stuff you're cramming in, which in turn retards fluency.

Also, there is a Japanese language thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030) and a subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/learnjapanese). The former tends to be more populated by intermediate-advanced learners who just want to argue about or discuss obscure things and shoot the poo poo (not that there's anything wrong with either of those, it's just where people are at) and the latter is populated by lots and lots of beginners.