Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Ozeki->Yokozuka is the only promotion that necessarily considers tournament wins, namely two back wins or 'equivalent results'

Just to add on to this, the traditional standard is back to back championships, both as an Ozeki. I guess an argument could be made if you were sekiwake, yusho to Ozeki, and then Yusho again. That has never happened before that I know of and its hard to say what they'd do. My guess is if its an older experienced wrestler that everyone loved, they just may give him the tsuna, and if its a younger guy, they'll go "nice job kid, but not yet".

A back to back yusho "equivalent" is usually yusho->runner up->yusho or sometimes runner up->runner up-> yusho, if your 2 second places were extremely good records that normally could have won the yusho.

Kisenosato was promoted with less than that as a sort of lifetime achievement award for his amazing success and longevity as a multi-year Ozeki. Thats a rare exception, you need to have exceptional extenuating circumstances to get the rope with less than those standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Takayasu is kyujo for Day 1. If he doesnt come back, he will be kadoban in November.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Konstantin posted:

I doubt it, Tochinoshin has a wife and kids in Georgia, and has no plans to stay in Japan after his career is done. He probably doesn't want to spend years grinding it out in the rank and file until his knee gives out for good.

Its for that very reason that he will grind it out. He comes from a very poor area, and his family depends on his income.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Martytoof posted:

If somehow we have Tochi and Goeido go kyujo, has there ever been a basho with no ozeki or yokozuna?

I kind of want this to happen now, just so we can watch it unfold.

OK, I went deep into the sumo database for this. Once I got back to the 1970's, 1960's etc I went "oh gently caress it, I'll go all the way."

In the modern 6-basho era of sumo, it has never happened. We've never had so much as a single day where all Ozeki and Yokozuna were out, but we did come close a couple times where we were down to one Ozeki.

In the older 2, 3, 4-basho era of sumo where we still had day by day records (so 1910 and later) it also never happened, but we came close in January 1910 where every yokozuna and ozeki had at least one day absent. But, there was no single day where everyone was absent.

We likely had a lot of basho with some days where we had no yokozuna or ozeki in 1909 and prior (but no way to know for sure because we have no record on which day each guy was out). This is because January 1910 was the first tournament where a "champion" was recognized. Before 1910, you basically just competed for fame and maybe money but there was no championship to win, so if you weren't feeling it that day you didn't show up, and absences were very, very common.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mbovo Sumo on youtube usually starts streaming pretty early even before Makushita. You'll have to watch live though, he deletes the stream right after the final match.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 5, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, that was one of the most inexplicable Hakuho losses I've ever seen.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bentai posted:

So, match fixing in this tournament then?

Nope. Hakuho makes a crapton of money just for being an active Yokozuna. The penalty for being caught doing that in Japan is hilariously severe. Last time something like this happened, a lot of careers came to an abrupt end.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Day 8 match between Ishiura and Nishikigi resulted in one of the rarest kimarite in sumo, a Mitokorozeme (a "triple attack", wrapping a leg around one leg in a sweep, while grabbing the other leg, and also while pressing your head against your opponent's chest).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujmK3lwk0s

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 18, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If you want to watch it live, D i (d space i) streams it on youtube, then immediately deletes the stream. There's also a couple people on twitch.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Hey so I'm interested in watching sumo and I only vaguely know the rules. One question I have is how do they decide who puts their hands down first? From watching it seems like when all 4 hands touch the ground then the bout starts. In instances like this video (20:15 if the link doesn't work) is it just a matter of patience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBYtfe2ZU4&t=1215s

at 24:30 it kind of happens again

And they get stuck in one position for like a full minute. That's crazy.

There are no hard rules on who puts their hands down first, but obviously whoever puts their hands down second to decide when the match begins has a (small) advantage. There are some unwritten rules and customs on this.

Generally, if there is a significant difference in rank (like a Yokozuna vs a rank and file wrestler), the higher ranked guy is almost always going to insist on their opponent putting their hands down first, and the lower ranked guy usually understands. If they are close in rank, its less clear unless one guy wants to be stubborn. Then you also get mind games like when one guy is down and the other guy makes him wait forever so that the tachiai is (hopefully) a bit unexpected, which often results in a matta or the guy down saying "ok enough of this nonsense, lets reset". Sometimes the higher ranked guy will put his hands down first, as if he's saying "whatever, you are no threat, lets just get this over with"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Why is henka regarded with such disdain? I'm watching a video where they say one guy is even expected and known for it.

Also the next bout is two guys slapping the poo poo out of each other and all over the ring. Very exciting.

Depends on the context. The odd random henka from a rank and filer early on, or if someone is desperate to get their kachi-koshi in the last 2 days? OK, and his opponent should expect it.

A henka from someone in the top ranks near the end of the tournament when it matters for the leaderboard and he's not desperate for a win? Legal, but not cool at all, and the audience/fans/sumo media will let him have it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

So this is where the thread is at. Y'all don't want to join the other combat sports? Not obscure enough already?

Yes, this thread probably belongs in the combat sports subforum.

Marching Powder posted:

Huh? I must have watched an old video or something because in the video I saw Tochi made it back to ozeki, but I'll be watching Takayasu keenly because it's a simple story with an underdog protag.

In May 2019, after back to back losing records as Ozeki, he was demoted to Sekiwake and given his one-time-only chance to get back with 10 wins, which he did (10th win on the 14th day was a henka, which everyone was fine with because he was truly desperate). However, due to his never-ending ACL injury, he again had back to back losing records in July and September, got demoted for November, and was not able to get his 10 wins. He tumbled all the way down to the rank and file for the January tournament.

Here are the storylines for January:

Hakuho (the GOAT, and when when we say GOAT, we mean the best in all recorded history going back hundreds of years) is the defending champion. If he's healthy, he's always the heavy favorite.

No one is currently on any kind of Yokozuna or Ozeki run for January. Goeido is kadoban, he needs 8 wins to avoid demotion. Takayasu has been demoted to Sekiwake, he needs 10 wins to regain his Ozeki rank. If he fails, then he starts all over from scratch on the road to promotion back to Ozeki.

Asanoyama had a good tournament at Komusubi, was tied for 2nd behind Hakuho, and was promoted to Sekiwake. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up, and he's still fairly young.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 3, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Some early updates, most of the rikishi will be going for degeiko this weekend and early next week. (degeiko = practice matches between wrestlers in competing sumo stables, where they go harder than normal practice, but not as hard as a basho)

Hakuho: He says he feels great, and could compete right now.

Kakuryu: no news

Takakeisho: he is recovering from a fever, possible flu.

Goeido: He says his ankle is recovering, but he's taking it slowly and carefully. He plans to perform at the YDC soken on 1/6, and has started visiting other heya for degeiko. He only recently started working on his tachiai, there's not much time left to prepare.

Others: Takayasu says his back is "getting better" he hasn't done much serious training yet. We'll see....

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

I read somewhere, might have been in the OP, that anyone who beats a yokozuna and is elligible gets a gold star award and that also comes with a 20k a year LIFETIME pay rise. That seemed sort of absurd to me until I looked at Hakuho's wikipedia. Yeah, sure, beat that guy and get 20k.

Speaking of Hakuho, wasn't he the guy Tochi beat via henka earlier in 2019 to get his rank back? DId Tochi get a gold star for that? Or do you have to beat a Yokozuna the, uh, proper way?

Gold star victories are only available for those ranked in the Maegashira. So yeah, if a random rank and file guy beats a yokozuna, he deserves that lifetime bonus. Its only about $2,200/year US dollars tho. (240k yen) Tochi would get a gold star if he beat Hakuho or Kakuryu in january, since he fell all the way down to the rank and file.

Back when Kisenosato was still struggling as a wounded yokozuna on his way out, he was making it rain kinboshi, lots of random guys got nice lifetime pay bumps from him before he finally retired.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 3, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kakuryu would have been without a doubt considered a great yokozuna. Except.... well, he came up during Hakuho's peak, so he's merely pretty good.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

So.... sumo guys die super loving young huh? Like, way earlier than fat, unfair people (or so it seems). Is anyone studying this?

Not necessarily. Most sumo wrestlers quickly lose a ton of weight after they retire. All those shimpan in the black robes during the matches? All of them were sumo wrestlers. Not all of them do though, ex-kisenosato is still pretty drat heavy, but maybe it is just taking him more time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ishiura got into a fistfight with one of his stablemates Hokaho (Ms16W). Yokozuna Hakuho stepped in to break up the fight.

Based on the (translated) reports, it appears that Ishiura instigated it, and it sounds like it was pretty much almost all his fault. Their oyakata reported the incident to the kyokai, so I bet Ishiura will be out of the tournament.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

There will always be injuries in any sport but it doesn't need to be to the degree and scale that sumo currently has. Developments in sports medicine and dropping the idiocy would dramatically improve safety and wrestler longevity without impacting the actual bouts in the ring.

Any objection to this dirty western way of modern sports science thinking can be met with "here's a good sumo wrestler, his name was Kisenosato, he was the great Japanese hope of sumo. Lets see how his career turned out....."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I am putting together a new sumo thread for the combat sports subforum, because the current sumo thread is very old and outdated as hell, and this probably belongs in that subforum anyway.

The only thing I am lacking is a sufficiently goony January sumo basho title for the thread, so please feel free to make some submissions now. I'll probably post it in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If i hosed the new thread up pretty badly, please let me know here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909337

I borrowed quite a bit from the old OP, just updating with new info.