Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

It is cool to see Kise and Takayasu being super happy, especially Kise since his expression never changes when he's in the ring.

Kinda funny to see that Kisenosato was confused about what to do, then Takayasu started waving, and kise was like "oh OK, yeah I can do that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

From what I understand, there are 3 steps, and the second step (YDC) is the only one that is not a rubber stamp since they have veto'd promotion recommendations before, but the YDC reportedly was unanimous in approving Kisenosato's promotion today (2/3 approval needed), so it is going to happen. It'll be officially official on wednesday.

edit: this isn't confirmed yet, but someone in the media is reporting that Kisenosato will go with the Unryu style for his ring entrance ceremony. (same style as kakuryu)

edit2: confirmed that Kisenosato's style will be unryu. The YDC meeting apparently lasted only about 10 minutes. The justification they used for promotion (for those who need more justification) is to point at the winning percentage of the 6 basho before promotion. Under that measure, Kisenosato looks better than pretty much every other recent yokozuna.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 23, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It is now officially official. The sumo association just completed that ceremony where messengers were sent to inform Kisenosato and his oyakata of the promotion and Kisenosato accepts (in front of a crapton of TV cameras and flash photography, of course which ruins the ritual a little bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftkRzMLwxQ4

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 25, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato's first dohyo-iri was pretty rough, but he just started learning it yesterday so he'll get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaCrwYPfzc

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Banzuke is out. As expected, Kotoshogiku's demotion along with the basically mandatory promotion of Takayasu has create 3 Sekiwake slots. Still kinda odd to see only 2 Ozeki, even though we knew this was going to happen.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo/rankings/2017-spring-basho/

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Historically from looking through the sumo DB, when you are at 4 Yokozuna, something's gotta give and someone would likely be forced to retire soon.

In this case though, they seem to be so much better than the rest of the Sanyaku and generally healthy (I think?), they may all 4 make it through 2017.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Obligatory picture of the new Yokozuna holding up the banzuke.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kaisei (East M8) hurt his knee and is kyujo for the first time in his career. This will break his 739 match streak.

Everyone else on the banzuke is scheduled for days 1 and 2.

edit: ACL tear and meniscus injury, so he'll probably miss the next tournament as well. He's going to fall very far if he misses two tournaments, but if his injury is that bad, it makes no sense to wrestle. He can come back in July or September and start his climb back up to the top division.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 11, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

wow, on day 1 only one of the 4 yokozuna looked good

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If Geek can get 4 wins out of his next 5 matches, then I might start to believe. he needs to build a very strong cushion for week 2.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its late enough to talk about it now. Seems like Hakuho lost because of the rare, so-called "dead body" rule. If you had no real offense at the end and are thrown or pushed out to the point where you are flying and completely helpless, then you lose even if the thrower's arm (which he used to toss your helpless dead body out) touches shortly before you do. Its different if the thrower or pusher steps out first though, if a foot, toe, or heel touches first, thats just a lack of control and the thrower/pusher loses.

I still assumed that Hakuho would get the yokozuna privilege and at least get a re-do.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 16, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fryhtaning posted:

Wow, Hakuho is already out. Kisenosato already looks to be the favorite after just 5 days, with Terunofuji all of a sudden looking like he could be starting a tsuna run again.

I think we're seeing the beginning of the end.

who'd have predicted a year ago that Kakuryu might possibly outlast Hakuho and Haramafuji? Its premature to call the end of anyone's career now, and Hakuho might stubbornly hang on to break a couple more records, but its looking like Kak will just keep on turning in his usual often-overlooked competent acceptable performances while the other 2 old yokozuna's bodies break down around him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Platypus Farm posted:

Kisenosato looks like a loving terminator. He's a ton of fun to watch just relentlessly come at people. Also, I've been surprised at the lower ranked, smaller guys who are basically pure finesse wrestlers and end up tossing behemoths.

One question - how is it decided who faces who? Because it seems like poor Shohodai's entire position in life is to be murdered by the yokozuna.

Kisenosato took a very big step forward the last year. He has looked like a yokozuna for a while and often wrestled like one, but his problem was that he would always wilt under the bright lights when he was ahead late in a tournament and choke whenever his big moments came. People were beginning to resign themselves to the belief he'd never get there until 2 months ago, and now he probably wants to prove he wasn't just handed his white rope. A lot of people think he should have had to win again this tournament before yokozuna promotion, so if he DOES win it, or at least lose a playoff, that'll silence the critics because everyone would then have to agree he really earned it.

The rankings between Komosubi through M#1/2 are brutal. They usually have to fight all of the yokozuna and ozeki in the first week. If you are a newer wrestler rewarded with a promotion to those ranks for doing well in consecutive tournaments, those are often automatic losses in the first week, so its a struggle for them to find 8 wins. (eg Sokokurai, East M#2 started day 1 with an ozeki, then days 2 through 5 were all 4 yokozuna, then he was able to take a breather with ikioi at M#1 before he had to take on the force of nature that is takayasu on day 7. His struggle continues day 8 against the highly-motivated Kotoshogiku. He's now 2-5, not favored to win Sunday, and will probably be yet another guy tossed back down after working hard to reach M#2)

If those guys get out of the first 8 days 4-4, thats great. The difference between K through M#2 and, say M#5 is enormous. I like to think of those ranks as the "are you for real or not" ranks for younger wrestlers climbing up, and most can not hang so its a pretty rapid turnover of guys getting thrown back down the banzuke for the next tournament, replaced by other successful wrestlers hoping they can prove themselves near the top of the mountain.

edit: as someone else pointed out, if you are drastically underranked, like you are on the leaderboard at M#11 or something late in the 2nd week, they won't let you just cheese a yusho down there, they don't want to block you from earning a lot of wins, but if you are a threat to win the tournament they will pull your rear end up in the last days to fight real wrestlers and make you earn it.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 19, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Checking in on Wakaichiro from Texas, he's doing much better this time around (currently 3-1, and his loss was probably winnable) with a couple months of training. Last time he had to rely on his size and started losing when he faced beginners who knew what they were doing. He'll be going for his KK as early as tomorrow, which should get him up to the next division.

They haven't bothered trying to straighten his hair yet, but they did trim his glorious afro back a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkYc9oE12c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FBT34fRnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyxMgUJsWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wj7e1LfNU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah, listening to the [english] commentary on Jason's channel that he posts with some matches, it's really easy to tell when the commentators are disappointed in someone's performance.

I also like Jason's channel. I usually start out by watching a youtube clip of the full makuuchi division from someone that is not too obviously simple to find (some dude in Japan gets banned from youtube once or twice a year, and comes back on some other user name), quickly skimming by matches between losers and uninteresting wrestlers. I like it because I get to see the ring entrance ceremony at the beginning.

Once it gets to the matches Jason covered that day, I stop that and start watching his videos. On the weekends I'll sometimes go ahead and stay up to the middle of the drat night to watch it live online, but thats difficult after we spring forward because its about 2am-4am central. I imagine it would be easier in the pacific time zone.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 8 is over. It was a very interesting and fun day of sumo.

Kisenosato didn't just win, he apparently pulled off an extremely rare kimarite thats only been done a few dozen times in modern history. You'll want to see a replay, its not flashy but I definitely don't see that move often. Takayasu is still a scary force of nature, Kak is still cruising under the radar, and Haramafuji sadly pulled off one of his signature sorta-henkas against a rank and filer.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Where are you watching it, out of curiosity?

This thread has the 3 current known working streams.

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/36347-live-streaming-haru-17/

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 19, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Konstantin posted:

If Takayasu gets the yusho or loses a playoff to Kisenosato, what are his chances for promotion to Ozeki? He has at least 10 wins in 4 out of the last 5 basho while facing the top guys.

If Takayasu gets a 15-0, especially if he beats Kisenosato in a playoff, then it'll be interesting. Traditionally, you always get promoted to yokozuna with back-to-back yusho. Someone who goes 15-0-P would obviously be a threat to repeat, and it would be super awkward to promote someone to yokozuna who is not currently an Ozeki.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The latest chatter is that it was probably not a dislocation, but it might be some kind of muscle tear in the chest or shoulder. If thats it, it'll probably be something he'd try to tough out in the last 2 days.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

we'll see....

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

well, we pretty much know whats going to happen. I've never been angry at the yusho winner before, so that'll be new for me

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Checking in on wakaichiro, he won 2 of his last 3 matches to finish 5-2, so he'll obviously be promoted to the Jonidan division

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJX8E5jJtQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqovRtQKqho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcGQjkgxfSQ

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The internet hivemind thinks he has ruptured a pectoralis major muscle. If thats the case, the medical literature recommends 12-16 weeks of rehab after surgery, and the chance of reinjury is high if you rush it. So, he needs to skip the May tournament if thats what he has.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Special prize announcements:

Takayasu has won the Shukun-sho (outstanding performance)

Takakeisho will win the Kanto-sho (fighting spirit) if he wins his bout today. Not sure if anyone else will get it if he loses.

No word on the most prestigious technique prize (gino-sho), it could go unawarded.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The task of performing the dohyo-iri looked painful for kisenosato. He's doomed. His only chance is if he and his oyakata have somehow figured out a winning technique that does not require his left arm and could beat Terunofuji twice. Either that, or he steals a round somehow in regulation, and then Kise henka's teru in the playoff, which would be awesome though extremely unlikely.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Takakeisho won his bout and secured the fighting spirit prize.

There is still no word on the most prestigious prize for technique, It is starting to look like they may not award that prize to anyone.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I haven't been this surprised about something sport-related in a long time. I can't believe he beat Teru without the effective use of one arm and without the ability to push.... twice. I guess his match against kakuryu was him verifying to himself that he was crippled for the last 2 days, so he had to go into the last day with not just one, but two different plans to win with technique.

edit: I just checked, and the gino-sho (technique prize) was indeed not awarded to anyone this time around.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 26, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Promotions and demotions for May look pretty obvious this time at the top. Even if Kotoshogiku decides to retire, there are no spots available for Mitakeumi to move up, and 9 wins is not going to force them to create a 3rd or 4th sekiwake slot. He'll be Komosubi again. Shodai will fall out, opening up only one komosubi slot, which will clearly go to Yoshikaze. Terunofuji saved his rank, and Goeido will be kadoban.

There will be a lot of turnover at the bottom, we have at least 4, possibly 5, and maybe even 6 (if you count Kaisei) who should all be demoted to Juryo, and we have at least 4, maybe 5 in juryo who are promotable. Usually they don't line up like this and we either have several demotable candidates but not quite enough promotable from juryo and vice-versa but this time the stars are aligning for a lot of change.

edit: oh and Takayasu will obviously be on another Ozeki run in May. He didn't quite get there last year, but this time he gave himself a much larger room for error, just 10 wins in May would get him to that magic number of 33 wins, which would be enough, especially now that we're down to 2 ozeki.

edit2: I do not believe Teru will be on a Yokozuna run, even if he goes 15-0 in May. Until someone retires, the YDC will use any excuse they can find to pass him over, and in Teru's case there are plenty of reasons to say no if they need one. Obviously a win in May would put him on a Yokozuna run in July, you can't say no to P-Y-Y

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 26, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kotoshogiku (age 33) has announced that he will not retire. More than likely he'll keep going as long as he's competitive, and if he has a disastrous start in a future tournament where it looks like he's headed for the rank and file, then he'll probably retire at that point as a sekiwake to avoid demotion.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That reminds me, back in the PRIDE days (Japanese MMA promotion), their fight contracts specifically said that they will not be tested for steroids.

Not that we're any better, everyone knows that boxing, football players, etc are juiced to the gills since everyone knows when they'll be tested, so only idiots fail those tests. The only professional combat sport that is probably clean-ish is the UFC, and they still have positive tests every month.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fryhtaning posted:

10 for Takayasu to make Ozeki. I think he'll do it, barring all of the Yoks being in top form in May.

I didn't see his bad collapse coming last year, so who knows, but 10 wins really seems within reach. He won't fight kise regardless (he really should sit May out anyway if his injury is as bad as feared), but I gotta believe Takayasu can beat 1 of the other 3 yokozuna. Maybe Terunofuji could be tough as well, but beyond that he looks like a big, powerful, confident wrestler with wisdom and technique to still get wins when someone throws a curveball. 10 wins looks really doable.

If he gets there, that would be a really great accomplishment for his heya, to have both a new successful famous yokozuna AND a new ozeki, I imagine it would help their recruiting quite a lot.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 27, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

hot date tonight! posted:

Honestly if you can't forgive the Terunofuji henka, I don't think you should forgive the Kisenosato henka attempt either.

Strongly disagree. Context matters, there's a reason why the entire stadium and most of the internet condemned Teru. I would even go so far as to say a henka is fine MOST of the time, but you can't do it on day 14, against Kotoshogiku, at 8 wins, with the compelling story and the fans who pay their salary for entertainment wanting to see if he could get there. He was rightfully condemned, and I'm not fine with just seeing him lose the yusho, I would like to see him lose his rank in 2017. Teru probably could have beaten him straight-up, and he owed it to the fans to give him a fair fight.

Also, Kise wasn't pulling a henka with the intention of immediately ending the bout, Teru knew it was coming. He did it just for position, to get his left arm away from him.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 27, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dr.Radical posted:

Again with the "Henkas are ok BUT." You're pissed enough about it that you want a dude to lose his rank. Why not just say you want it outlawed? It's either ok all of the time or ok none of the time. It's just another technique.

You act like the Henka was an accepted part of the sport forever, that it was something ancient rikishi did, and that we have stone tablets carved of matches from long ago showing a well-executed henka.

That isn't the case, its a relatively recent thing, and the public have reluctantly accepted it because it was something guys in the sanyaku didn't do, low ranked young wrestlers would resort to it in desperation. Then eventually foreign wrestlers decided they give no fucks, japanese wrestlers retaliate, and we see it all the time now. Its probably a part of the pushback and limitations against foreign wrestlers who the already famously xenophobic public think "don't get sumo". It COULD be banned, a lot of people think it should be. I'd like it to be something that exists because it can serve a purpose (its a check against a reckless tachi-ai), but its not something you do to literally the most popular wrestler in sumo (except kise now obviously) who was the only guy who ever got a pop from the crowd, trying to save his career on day 14. If thats too much to ask, then yes I guess then we can't have nice things (or the henka) and perhaps it should be banned.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

Kise won the first match with Terunofuji with a henka. Why does it matter how long people have been using henka? Sports change.

He did not win with the henka. Any match which does not end within 2 seconds, by definition, was not won with a henka.

He did it to get better position to get his injured arm away from him, Teru obviously expected it, and of course after the day 14 crap, almost no one would have given a drat if Teru went flying past like a bull

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 28, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

What do you mean, "Lol, sure", your argument is crap. You only "win with the henka", if the match is ended almost immediately because they went flying past or were off-balance and get easily pushed out.

That did not happen in either match, so the match was not won with the henka, obviously. You want it to be the case because then you can smugly claim a double standard, but wanting something to be true is not the same as something being true.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Konstantin posted:

How could you even ban henkas? I can't think of a way to objectively define them that wouldn't be horribly vague and lead to a ton of controversial calls.

simple, if you intentionally avoid the tachi-ai, in the judgment of the referee or the 5 judges, you are disqualified. It would become one of many other fouls that result in a DQ.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

He henka-ed at the start and he won. He might have lost with the normal tachiai. It's not that big of stretch to say he won with a henka, but sure, whatever, he didn't "win with a henka" if you narrow the definition down to nothing.

Your idea of "winning with the henka" is shared by almost no one. We all know what it looks like.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

He won in a match where he used a henka. That was the meaning I was intending and I think that's pretty clear from context. I'm sorry you misunderstood. Now we've cleared up that misunderstanding. You're saying all henkas should be banned, right? So are you angry that Kisenosato won and would you be happy if he had been disqualified instead?

The first match was a prolonged struggle, and near the end kise maneuvered into position for a slap-down.

The second match was a suicide throw that somehow worked because I guess Teru just did not expect that Kise would commit to such a risky all or nothing move.

Any attempt to argue that either match was won with the henka is both silly and obviously driven by a motive to win an internet argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

So you're saying that Kisenosato didn't henka at the beginning of the first match?

Of course he did. It did not lead directly to a victory, but if it had, I would not have given even the slightest poo poo. I'll quote myself here, because I do find it odd that I'm so vigorously attacking a henka when I'd normally be fine with it:

quote:

I would even go so far as to say a henka is fine MOST of the time, but you can't do it on day 14, against Kotoshogiku, at 8 wins, with the compelling story and the fans who pay their salary for entertainment wanting to see if he could get there.

There are unwritten rules in most sports. In this sport, you do not loving henka in the final days against someone who is trying to save or regain his ozeki rank, and you also do not henka for the yusho (I'm looking at you, Hakuho) in the final couple days, unless there's a special weird circumstance, like your opponent is a scumbag who didn't observe those unwritten rules, or you are crippled and need to gain position (both true in kise's case).

Ideally, no one in the sanyaku ever uses a henka, but that obviously breaks down when you can't trust your opponent to uphold the dignity that the public expects from top-ranked rikishi.

In a related note, the YDC just announced today, unexpectedly, that Teru is ***NOT*** on a Yokozuna run in May. They will not promote him even if he goes 15-0. He'd obviously be undeniable if he won both in May and July, but I do not think they would have so boldly and publicly squashed his promotion chances like this if Teru had not violated all the unwritten rules and norms and metaphorically spit on Kotoshogiku's career like that.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 28, 2017