Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
This thread has been really great and I'm enjoying watching the matches. One question: Is there anywhere I can find the results of previous tournaments in english? This Site has the current tournament's results, but I couldn't find a way to look backwards, other than just finding the person who won. I'd like to see who won each mach for previous tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Thanks, sumoreference is great!

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Uber Kosh posted:

No, keep it up! I'm not easily able to watch the streams, and appreciate the commentary.

I watch the streams and I still enjoy the commentary!

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
That was awesome. Ive only been watching since January, but best day Ive ever seen.

Even if its kinda lame I liked the leg-kick almost henka.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Hakuho: Yesterday's loss was surprising enough, as one of the announcers pointed out that it's the earliest he's ever received a second loss in a tournament since he was promoted to Yokozuna. This third loss - and against an opponent he's never lost to before - is really bad news for him. Whether it's injury or something else, he's really not himself this tournament.

Kintamayama said something about him thinking that Hakuho was going to go kyujo, which from what I can tell is a withdrawl from the tournament due to injury (either physical or in an ozeki or yokozunas case pride counts as well). It seems like this is a thing that a yokozuna can do. How big of a loss of face is it? If he does this two tournaments in a row would he be expected to retire, or is this not that serious?

Any chance hes actually hurt?

Wakanosato's throw was amazing, best move Ive seen someone his size do.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Fryhtaning posted:

I enjoyed today as well! A few superb matches and plenty of building drama, with the first drop-outs due to injury rolling in, and some other wrestlers nursing injuries. Hakuho starting to crumble. The tournament still being anyone's.

While watching Hakuho's difficulties is enjoyable in a schadenfreude sort of way, my favorite part of the last few days is watching Aran get his rear end kicked over and over.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Only a yokozuna can't be demoted. Even ozeki aren't immune. The announcers were speculating yesterday that Harumafuji is starting to get in danger of demotion.

My impression is that for an Ozeki to get demoted they'd have to have two bad tournaments in a row, barring something like going 2-13. Is that right?

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. Do they get a boost for each kinboshi, or just the first? It was definitely Toyohibiki's first, but Toyonoshima had defeated Hakuho twice in the past, so I wonder if that counts.

You get a boost for every kinboshi. However, I don't think Toyonoshima is eligible because he's Sekiwake. I believe only Maegashira are eligible for kinboshi.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
When do we find out if Takanoyama makes it to Makuuchi or if he gets stuck at Juryo 1?

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Has anyone ever seen a match where both wrestlers tried to henka and neither charged? I imagine it has to have happened at some point, and Id imagine its pretty funny/embarassing.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
So while you might very well have legitimate criticisms in there, its really had to get past the overbearing rear end in a top hat tone of your post to find them.

Fryhtaning wrote up a big rear end post post that introduced me, and presumably many others, to this pretty badass sport, so itd be pretty cool if you tone down the condescesion and maybe try not being a huge dick?

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Aran is becoming one of my favorite wrestlers now that he's sworn off Henka.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Why was Takanoyama's match shown on day 1, not in day 2, but then in day 3? I was under the impression that the uploaded videos showed all of the matches for the day. This could have been the case for some of the other sumo, but Takanoyama is the only sumo I'm specifically on the lookout for at this point.

The videos show all of the matches from the highest division. Takanoyama is one of the bubble guys who bounces back and forth between the top of the second highest and the bottom of the highest. This tournament he's in the second highest division. The only reason weve been seeing him at all is that kintamayama knows Takanoyama is popular so he tends to include his good matches even if hes in Juryo (the second division)

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
What is Iwasaki's story, or is he just really good? Im familiar with Osunaarashi but Ive never heard of the other guy (not that that means anything)

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
God loving drat it Aran. gently caress you

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Never using henka is almost as bad as always using it. Even Hakuho uses it rarely. Now if Aran goes back to 4-5 a tournament...

I feel really bad for Baruto, though. The current injury rules are basically bullshit. Baruto is probably risking a serious re-injury, and look at what's happening to Masunoyama as well.

Yes, but Aran should hold himself to a higher standard, given his history.

Dr.Radical posted:

Re: Injury Rules, I think I've said it before, but they really need to grant injury leave for rikishi and take it on a case by case basis. Someone who is clearly injured like Baruto or needs an operation like Masunoyama should get injury leave. Someone who has a run of the mill injury that doesn't screw things up much would not get injury leave.

Judgement calls like that are not good things to have in place. I dont think have the sumo board or whoever make the call on if someone is "injured enough" is a good plan. While its not hard to differentiate between "torn ligaments in knee" and "twisted ankle", the grey area on the middle is the problem. What about somone with an ankle spain? A severe high ankle spain? A back injury? (many times even real back injuries dont show up on MRI

a lot of this problem is wrestlers coming back too soon. Suck up your pride, take your demotion, and come back fully healthy and ready to kick rear end.

That said, Masunoyama should get an exception being that his "injury" is both non-sumo caused and 100% undeniably real.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Kikkoman posted:

Sumo wouldn't be as exciting to me if it didn't have those stakes. It's the constant danger of demotion and the crazy jumps that the wrestlers can make that creates drama. Giving injured wrestlers dibs on spots would take away from that, I think.

The bigger problem, I think, is people faking injury when theyre having a bad basho. Thats why I dont think it should go away. That said, Masunoyama should get a freebie since he has a loving hole in his heart.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

a false posted:

if it's there to prevent that and it doesn't prevent that, then what's the point? and where do you draw the line for who deserves a break?

Currently, while it doesn't prevent it, the only thing faking injury does for the Rikishi is save face. He still counts as losing every match. If he could say instead "oh, poo poo, I'm hurt, don't count these loses", it would happen much more and be much more destabilizing.

As for who needs a break? Don't draw the line. Keep the system as is. I was just lamenting the fact that Masunoyama, who has a legitimate, provable, non-sumo-related "injury" can't get it fixed without losing rank. He's the only person I'm aware of who I think should get an exception, but I agree that exceptions are problematic so he should probably just suck it up and take the loss of rank.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Just Winging It posted:

Harumafuji's spidey-sense is strong this basho.

gently caress Aran

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Uncle Jam posted:

Nah, that was enjoyably cheeky. Especially the second attempt.

Still looking good all around, although Baruto is going to need to completely restart his Ozeki hopes if he doesn't get it in.

That wasn't a bad attempt, all things considered, and I wouldn't be pissed if it was anyone else. But you don't get to say "I will never do this again" and then do it repeatedly. Once you say "never again", you should be done, or at least only do it once in a blue moon to keep people off balance.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Wrestler A (Rank, Current Tournament Wins - Current Tournament Losses) - Wrestler B (Rank, Current Tournament Wins - Current Tournament Losses))
Times Wrestler A has won past meetings between these two - Times Wrestler B has won past meetings between these two

So in the example you posted:

Daido is Ranked 13E, which is on the low end of Makuuchi. He has 6 wins and 5 losses so far this tournament.
Gagamaru is ranked 11W, which is higher than Daido. He has 8 wins and 3 losses.
In their previous meetings, Daido has won 1 time and Gagamaru has won 4 times.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
For all of the divisions other than top (Makuuchi), Ranks just go:

1E - 1W
2E - 2W
3E - 3W
ect ect

But in Makuuchi, there are what are called san'yaku ranks. These are above the normal rankings.

So in Juryo division, the highest ranked wrestler is ranked J1E, or Juryo 1 East. But in the top division, the wrestler ranked Maegashira 1 East (or M1E) is below a number of other wrestlers who are "Titled".

The titles are (in order of prominence):
Yokozuna
Ozeki
Sekiwake
Komusubi

So a Komusubi is higher ranked than someone ranked M1E. Sekiwake and Komusubi are considered "Junior" san'yaku ranks, and generally are attained the same way higher Maegashira ranks (getting 8 or more wins the tournament before and moving up a few ranks). Ozeki and Yokozuna have stricter requirements. While it's the sumo associations judgement call, the rule of thumb is that to become an Ozeki you must have 33 wins in the last 3 tournaments (average 11-4 or better), although promotion to Ozeki with as few as 30 wins is possible. To become a Yokozuna, you must win two tournaments in a row (generally).

Ozeki and Yokozuna also have special rules for being demoted. In the Ozeki's case, finishing with a losing record (7-8 or lower) doesn't immediately result in demotion, like it would for any other rank. They keep their rank but are considered kadoban, which means that if they don't get at least 8 wins the next tournament they will be demoted. This happened recently to Baruto, who is now a Sekiwake. A Yokozuna can never be demoted, but they are expected to retire if they can't keep winning 8-10 or more times per tournament.

I am probably wrong in various places here, feel free to correct me anyone!

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
As much as I want Kisensato, who's my favorite of the Ozekis, to win the Yusho, I really think that Hakuho's going to demolish him. Hakuho's a monster and is wrestling really well.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Let's see if he wins this tournament before suddenly discussing possible Yokozuna-dom.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
East is more prestigious. It always weirds me out that east is on the left and west is on the right in the banzuke.

While I was rooting for Kisensato, Hakuho winning is cool by me. He's a lovable heel for me, in that I always root against him, but drat, he's a pleasure to watch.

Kotooshu, on the otherhand, can get hosed. Way sad that he managed his kk. I don't like Kotooshu or Kotoshogiku, but at least Kotoshogiku is amazing at one thing (his bear-hug then belly-bump out move). Kotooshu is just depressingly vanilla.

It will be interesting to see if Gagamaru's turned a corner, or if his great tournament was just a result of being down at M11. Assuming he's up at M4-5 or so next tourney, I wonder if he can stay balanced or if it'll be another belly-flop tourney for him.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Anime Reference posted:

I suspect the fact that I first got into sumo while Hakuho was in his prime means all future yokozuna will be ruined for me.

Sure, but even without Hakuho there's no way that Kisensato (who I like) deserves Yokozuna without for going 14-1 twice in a row (without the Yushos).

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

anakha posted:

That raises an interesting question for me, one which I've never really thought about until now.

How much betting goes on with regard to sumo? Its it anywhere close to the degree that sports betting has permeated the US?

I believe betting on sports is illegal in Japan.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Well, unfortunately this tournament really turned me against Kisenosato. I feel bad because he was my favorite Ozeki, but the obvious favoritism he receives just isn't cool. I get that it's rough to have your national sport dominated by outsiders, but the current restriction on foreigners (one per stable, even if they become citizens) is bad enough, it's bullshit that Japanese wrestlers also get special treatment on top of that.

Watching Baruto destroy people next tournament from M10-14 or so should be amazing. I'd be surprised if he did much worse than 12-3.

Osunaarashi is crazy, because in addition to his obvious notoriety (Egyptian, shot up the ranks at lightning pace), he looks straight up stronger than anyone else he's wrestling against. Not even "a bit stronger", but ludicrously so. His technique is pretty bad though. Hopefully he can get his KK from the top of Juryo next tournament and we can see him in Makuuchi in November.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Dr.Radical posted:

No Endo talk? I'm surprised. The dude destroyed Juryo this basho. I'd like to see how he does in Makuuchi. I think he'll probably be like Chiyotairyu. Really talented but ultimately needs more experience to become great.

Re: Baruto, I read someplace that he's going down to Juryo..........

Edit: And I think y'all need to be more patient with Chiyotairyu. He's only been in Makuuchi for 8 tournaments and has gotten up to M2. As you know, most rikishi hit a wall when they get up into the high M's. I think Chiyotairyu only missing his KK at M3 by 1 win is pretty encouraging.

Endo's cool, but Osunaarashi overshadowed him for me (even though he beat him), just because of the storyline. Looking forwards to seeing Endo in Makuuchi though.

There's no way that Baruto goes to Juryo from M6. Worst thing they'd do is stick him at M16 or something. That said, I really want to see the 15-0 destruction that would come from Baruto in Juryo.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Ahaha. Oh god. If he goes 14-1 it'll be a disappointment.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Noooooooo.... That's terrible

It wasnt that long ago we all thought he'd be the second Yokozuna.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
If you look at Hakuho at about 9:10 into Kinta's video, you can see a good bit of blood coming from the area around his eye. Even Gods can bleed, evidently.

But yeah, Hakuho is so good it's unreal.

No idea on the hairpull, seems like it could go either way. It certainly wasn't obviously one.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Uncle Jam posted:

I think these days an announcement immediately starts to not throw the zabuton but people do it anyway. I mean come on.

The best was back 3-4? tournaments ago when Hakuho lost like 3 times in 5 days and purple cusions were everywhere, all the time.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I just want Osunaarashi to get his KK. Then this will have been a good basho. It'll be an awesome basho if 14-0 Harumafuji beats 14-0 Hakuho.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I'm fine with Kakuryu's promotion. As far as Im concerned, 14-1 with a playoff loss to Hakuho is as good as a Yusho. And he did beat Hakuho last tournament, he just couldn't do it twice in a row.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Haha, those are the best sekiwake ever. This basho will be awesome

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Yeah, that's some serious bullshit.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
That was a crazy-good first day

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
M13 to M3 for Endo - Gonna be a rough ride. Hopefully he's up to it. It's never fun to see 12-3 followed by like 3-12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
For people like me who got into sumo because of this thread, I'm finding it really interesting to read up on the current wrestlers and follow some of the links to historical stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_sumo_wrestlers