Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Quodio Stotes posted:

Yea they go through that in the video I posted. Its not just yakuza I know, its ingrained in the sport. If you watch the clip they found that they only stopped cheating for like a year after they got caught then went right back to it, its kind of sad. It happens in matches that arent 7-7 matches as well.

Interestingly, I'm not sure it would be such a big deal if it were only 8-6 wrestlers losing to 7-7 wrestlers at a high rate, without any evidence that the 7-7 wrestlers tended to give back the wins the next time they played. It would hardly be the only sport/competition where teams/individuals with nothing to play for often gave away points/games to competitors who needed a win. In fact, you might simply expect such results due to the fact that the wrestler with nothing on the line might not want to push themselves with injuries or fatigue from a long tournament. Which doesn't make it right (implicitly, it hurts competitors elsewhere in the competition who might benefit from the other results), but without a formal framework for the whole thing, it's a much lesser form of collusion.

Which also made me think that if you wanted to give this thread a snarkier title, it could be "Sumo - It's just pigs colluding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU