Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so i found this thread two nights ago and i loving love sumo now, y'all've done an incredible job putting down the information i need to understand these Kintamayama youtube videos

i guess takanoyama must really love sumo, to not have chosen another less weight-intensive form of wrestling. was he just assuming he'd start being able to put on weight at some point, but it never happened? or can skinny sumos make it, as a career choice? nevertheless he seems pretty well regarded, and has looked pretty skillful to me i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnGpG27p3Do

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it appears there's a pretty shocking level of disregard for injury in sumo. i guess some of it's tradition-based, but it sounds like not letting them sit even one out is new.

so i haven't actually followed sumo or posted itt for years but whatever happened to that one guy with something wrong with his lungs who gasped for breath like he was dying after every match that went over 10 seconds? is he still going? did he retire after a full career?

also, that czech (i believe) guy who i guess just couldn't get over like 220 lb and had a few highlights of his wins, how long did he keep it up?

it seems to be a lot easier to find highlight videos in hd on youtube these days. i watched day 15 of the last basho and i'm excited to follow this strange sport a bit. i appreciate the bumping and shoving and the martial arts aspect as well as the traditional/religious aspect

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also the secret service constantly does embarrassing moronic poo poo so that's a match made in heaven

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just caught up with this thread, i used to enjoy this back when that german dude was uploading 240p youtube videos. it's a lot easier to follow this nowadays. like was said recently it's fascinating how this whole thing works, even if it's not exactly savory sometimes

edit: what are the rules for fantasy, just grab the right number of people from the right ranks or is there a 'salary' component? i kinda wanna make uninformed guesses

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

cool, i'll throw some names out there. feel free to tell me to change them if needful

Y/O: Hakuho, Kakuryu, Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi, Tamawashi, Abi
M1-5: Asanoyama, Endo, Kotoshogiku
M6-10: Chiyotairyu, Myogiryu, Takagenji
M11+: Tochiozan, Chiyomaru, Sadanoumi

these are basically random but biased toward people i vaguely remember better than the others

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

and so it begins. the fantasy thing is already making me more invested in the basho, that's awesome, thanks

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is it just me or does he henka a lot? might just be me, i think he did it a few times last basho and that was the first i watched for years

i love how they don't make that move illegal, they just tut tut about it for centuries

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

only caught up yesterday, that's why I can't comment during the basho. I'm surprised I did as mediocre in the fantasy as I did. I think I learned a little about what kind of schedules people get so I'm sure I'll do even worse next time

anyway it was a fun one imho

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

what's the meaning of tsukebito, are we talking steroids or gambling or what?

looking forward to the basho

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for the explanation, yall. i guess this is a good aspect of the moral hysteria that seems to surround the rikishi

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

didn't watch the first day till now. i always avoid spoiling myself and cant post during the basho but it's a fun, odd sport

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

finally caught up on youtube. thanks for the in depth discussions in this thread, it makes it all more interesting

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think that (edit for :synpa: - match fixing) usually happens on the last day for guys who are at 7-7 going into it

somebody linked a science paper itt a long time ago that showed an anomalously high winning percentage for 7-7 people, it was a pretty comprehensive analysis. anybody know where i could find that?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Konstantin posted:

That was a sound strategy Yutakayama employed against Enho. You know he's not going to charge forward and yorikiri you out, so just stand there, don't give him any openings, and react to what he does. I wonder if other rikishi will try it?

first time i ever saw that, it was interesting. i guess it's less than entirely honorable? the ref (i don't know all the terms) didn't seem happy

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

he has that slappy style of sumo too, he's basically the ideal human

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I watch that one YouTube guy (natto?) but if I had a stream I could maybe watch live for once...,....,........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

nomo was the first of the modern Japanese players in baseball but I'm gonna be pedantic and mention Masanori Murakami, the very first one, who did okay as a reliever but went back due to contractual obligations and wasn't followed until nomo thirty years later:

wiki posted:

In 1964, his team sent him, along with two other young players, to the San Francisco Giants single-A team Fresno as a baseball "exchange student". He was originally only scheduled to stay in the United States until June, but the Hawks neglected to call him back to Japan, and he stayed with the Giants for the rest of the season. In August of the same year, he was promoted to the majors, and on September 1, 1964, he became the first Japanese player to play in the major leagues
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanori_Murakami

I have very little to add on the sumo, but I'll be watching

edit: there's more relevant info on Japanese sporting culture in this good article about the best Japanese mlb player of all time, ichiro Suzuki:

quote:

Japanese culture in general -- and Ichiro in particular -- remains influenced by remnants of bushido, the code of honor and ethics governing the samurai warrior class. Suffering reveals the way to greatness. When the nation opened up to the Western world in 1868, the language didn't even have a word to call games played for fun. Baseball got filtered through the prism of martial arts, and it remains a crucible rather than an escape. Japanese home run king Sadaharu Oh wrote in his memoir: "Baseball in America is a game that is born in spring and dies in autumn. In Japan it is bound to winter as the heart is to the body."

I don't know if that no word for fun games thing is for real but it's a nice article
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22624561/ichiro-suzuki-return-seattle-mariners-resolve-internal-battle

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 5, 2020