Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Informative post. Thanks for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Are some wrestlers known to be dirty? What is the penalty for being caught doing something illegal? A simple forfeit?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I guess I am using this video as a source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=S9E7NUgEbSo&NR=1

Is there significance or ritual for the wrestlers to squat and and stand up and squat and stand up like that before actually beginning the match?

Also, when the fight ends the judge throws the victor a little bauble that he picks up. Then the victor squats and waves his arm across the front of his body for the judge, do you mind explaining that sequence to me?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Is there any media/public backlash against non-Japanese participants? I feel like such a traditional sport would have its fair share of assholes wailing about the "de-japanisation" of the sport, or whatever.

e. \/\/ That is partly what spawned my question. I was just looking for more specific details regarding what traditional/conservative Japanese reactions are/specific examples, justified or not. And what does "acting Mongolian" particularly entail? \/\/

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 7, 2012