Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm starting to get more into sumo now. Enjoying the current basho really getting behind Tochinoshin and Hakuho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hakuho v Nishikigi bout from day six was awesome!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

Hakuho is incredible

He is a beast!

Quick question. Before the wrestlers face off they'll dash to a corner and wipe themselves down with a cloth. Any reason they hurry to the corner rather than just walk?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I always assumed it's just to hype themselves up before the match.

Ah cool, just big sumo energy!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Omnikin posted:

day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS9GqiYQHW4

Hakuho's matta, lol. He booped his opponent on the head with his belly. Pro power move.

Ichinijo's gonna turbofuck Aoiyama tomorrow

Shoudai got a win! :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Some really good bouts on day 11. Really liked Hakuho/Takakeisho, Shouhouzan/Abi and of course Aoiyama/Ichinojo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ikioi looks like he could do with some healing time. Kaisei and Endou is the first torinaoshi I've ever seen. Even for sumo Ichinojou is a big bastard!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That is the first time I've followed a basho all the way through and watched as much of it as possible, really enjoyed it. Hakuho is great to watch. It sounds like a few people in this thread have been to a basho, how long would you spend in the arena on any given day of a basho?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers. I'd definitely stay there all day, I'd be very interested in seeing the lower levels see what some more basic sumo looks like.

Martytoof good luck getting those tickets, sounds like a good time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was looking at Hakuho 's past record and at one tournament he has a record of of 2𣛧0. I know the first number is wins and the second losses, what does the third represent?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

Kyujo (out with an injury)

Great, thanks.

Konstantin posted:

Despite not being able to lift objects with his bad arm, Hakuho has decided that he doesn't need to see a doctor, and will just rest it for a few days before deciding if he will participate in the meaningless exhibition events between bashos.

Terrible, thanks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Oh you know, requesting to be part of the presentation ceremony for the Emperor's Cup.

Just be glad he doesn't want to fight the winner.

Bit late but I've been reading about sumo and agree with what people have said about Hakuho not getting surgery, I hope it doesn't end his career. Also enjoyed him being cheeky with the clapping.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Interesting video about the Trump visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1B7stRkYDg

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like Hakuho is applying to become Japanese. Looks like we'll have to wait for the first foreign coach a while longer.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hakuho got a slap on the wrist for that whole clapping thing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

I think he had said he might have done it earlier but he wouldn't renounce his Mongolian citizenship while his grandfather (maybe father?) was alive. Whichever guy it was died about a year ago and he waited a year after that to start this process. He still wants to perform a ring entering ceremony at the Tokyo Olympics so I don't think he's voluntarily retiring for at least a year.

Yeah he said he wouldn't change while his father was still alive.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking forward for the upcoming basho. Hakuho says his arm is ready but he hasn't started practice bouts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah it's disappointing he won't be there but he hasn't been doing practise bouts so it was always on the cards.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good first day. Did we all see the slap Aoiyama gave Tamawashi? He'll be feeling that for the rest of the year. Great win for Enho, hoping he can keep doing that for the tournament. Tochinoshin with one down and nine to go, hoping he gets back to Ozeki. Takakeisho doing the business as an Ozeki with a good win as well.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

Kakuryu threw Hokotofuji into the shadow realm during there bout. It was like something out of Pros vs Joes.

Yeah, he wasn't taking any poo poo in that bout really showing what a yokozuna can do. Ichinojo manages to get back to winning ways and Tochinoshin is another step closer to Ozeki.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

Day 4: Is it too early to not really be worried about Tochinoshin and start wondering if he can win the yusho? Yeah, it probably is a bit early for that.

The lads 40% of the way to his target, I'm pretty excited that he'll get it. I'm really interested in how Enho is going to do, he said he wanted ten wins and the technique award that's a pretty big ask but he's 3-1 so I'm hoping he can end 9-6 at least.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 15, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

It was so exciting to see Takakeisho win with solid yotsu-zumo, and then so crushing when it was clear he'd hurt himself. Looks like he'll be kyujo with a knee injury. I hope he's able to heal up in time for Nagoya.

If, for some reason, he isn't does he get demoted?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good day 5 Tochinoshin, Kakuryu and Asanoyama keeping their records pure and Enho sitting pretty on 4-1!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Assuming he doesn抰 come back by the end of this tournament and eke out another five wins (which would probably be suicidal to attempt health-wise, but hey that抯 sumo) and then also sits out or has a losing record in Nagoya, yeah he does. He抎 get the chance for an instant return with 10 wins in Aki (like Tochinoshin has now), after that he抎 be starting from scratch again.

I'm hoping he's back from the next one, and that Tochinoshin is back to ozeki!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Takakeisho must be sitting at home shaking his head at how badly the Ozeki are doing this tournament, both on 3-3 records and recording losses to Maegashira rikishi.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Tochinoshin's performance so far has been a real joy to watch. And yeah, having him face Ichinojo in the first week seemed a little weird (a great bout though it was).

Apparently Takakeisho is scheduled to return for day 8 and face Aoiyama! I hope he won't aggravate his injury... it seems really questionable when his initial kyujo announcement said that three weeks' recovery was recommended.

Tochinoshin and Enho have been great to watch.

Man, I hope he's not coming back too soon last thing I'd want to see is him aggravating the injury.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

Is there anywhere to see a list of the current scores/results of the basho? I would still like to keep up with it somehow

As well as Nattosumo for the video http://sumo.or.jp/En/ has a live result tracker on their site.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

First kinboshi of the Reiwa era!

Yes, what a busy day!
Tochinoshin and Kakuryu both losing and Asanoyama winning so we have three at the top with 7-1. Takakeisho returning in a losing effort. Ichinojo and Kaisei both out. Tamawashi is probably still grinning after beating Kakuryu. Enho still going strong 6-2! Tomorrow sees Takakeisho take on Tochinoshin.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This was a good match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03YPBSKisE

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tochinoshin is so close.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wonder if Asanoyama can get a new PB, he's on 9-1 and his best is 11-4 so he only needs 3 more wins. He has Sadanoumi next.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anakha posted:

He wasn't given the moniker IchiNo-Show for nothing.

He's back tomorrow. Hopefully his return is better than Takakeisho's. Today's events are very interesting Asanoyama now on top 10-1. Tochinoshin getting Ozeki blue balls losing to Abi. And Kakuryu losing to Myogiryu! Can't wait for tomorrow.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know, Tochinoshin better get the tenth tomorrow (he has Asanoyama ). Ichinojo winning on his return though!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 23, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

Also Tochinoshin WAS loving ROBBED.

Just seen the match, loving daylight robbery!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHENKA

Welcome back, baby!

Yeah baby, sumo is good again awoouu!!! (wolf howl)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I can't believe that he did it and it worked.

Hope Asanoyama is ready for the Trump cup!

Filled with donuts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really need Enho to win on the last day and go 8-7.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm hoping over the coming weeks all the injured wrestlers heal up and we have a full set going into the next basho. I want to see Takakeisho/Tochinoshin et al against Hakuho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've enjoyed the sumo I've watched so far and have a few questions:

1) So there are six divisions in sumo, makuuchi, juryo, makushita, sandanme, jonidan and jonokuchi is that correct?

2) Do all new wrestlers start in the jonokuchi division?

3) Wrestlers in the makushita, sandanme, jonidan and jonokuchi divisions only seem to have seven matches per tournament rather than fifteen. Is this because there are so many wrestlers in these divisions, if not, what is the reason for this?

4) If you get to makuuchi or juryo you are then salaried, I'm guessing the salary for makuuchi is higher than that of juryo, do we know the typical salary for wrestlers in these divisions?

5) What do wrestlers in the makushita, sandanme, jonidan and jonokuchi divisions do for money, do they have to get part time jobs or are there jobs in the stables they can draw a salary on?

6) How does promotion work, I assume you win a lot you go up, you lose a lot you go down. But how often do you have to have a winning/losing record before you are promoted/demoted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers and the new information. Has there been wrestlers who have slipped a couple of divisions and then managed to return to their original division a couple of tournaments later?