Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

seorin posted:

Baruto: I wasn't so sure yesterday, but after today it's obvious he's still not back to normal. I thought it was a bad sign for him to let Toyohibiki push him back so hard at the tachiai, but getting pushed out today by Kotoshogiku shows he's really not the immovable wall of tournaments past. I really hope he can get his 10, but early losses seem to really demoralize him, so going up against the ozeki this early does not bode well.

I agree, also like I said,leg injuries are tricky. He may still be afraid to really absorb shock and drive with that knee. If he can't plant then he's gonna need to start henka-ing or sidestepping and using his hip a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Goeido vs. Baruto Baruto just doesn't seem to be in it. Looks like he immediately gave up when he didn't get his grip. No way he makes 10 wins unless he really turns it around and rattles off 7 or 8 in a row.

Toyonoshima vs. Harumafuji Now that's a great match! Really made up for yesterday.

Hakuho vs. Myogiryu Hakuho looked like he didn't know whether to go for the underhook or go over and while he was making up his mind he lost. Zabuton!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
The tournament is getting better. I agree with the Hakuho observation. I don't know about ego or any of that but he bounces back with a vengeance. Remember the basho before last, when he was knocking people out with that elbow? He seems like a gritty guy.

It looks like Harumafuji is also starting to find his groove, he recovered well and really dominated his match. I think that Baruto is now looking to adjust his game plan around that knee and take less shock and probably try that "Toro!" move again.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Here's Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK32lYy9so0

I'll withhold comments until others get a chance to watch.

EDIT: OK give me one here, Kotooshuu vs. Goueido was awesome!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 17, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAaAXW_ZQbs getting it here and will comment after!

Great effort today!

Baruto looks like there's a fire under his rear end now. Takonayama made a great twist to get out of the way and win, that was a great move. I wonder if the big(ger) league rikishi just don't fall for that stuff? Miyabiyama just couldn't buy a win, Kintamayama commented "if he chooses to continue". Is it usual for a rikishi to go 0-8 then withdraw?

Masunoyama my man just ran out of gas as you can easily see at the end he's dragging himself. I guess that's what happens when you have a bum ticker.

Kisenosato v. Shouhouzan: The staredown after the matta was awesome but the match didn't have the upset result I was hoping for.

Hakuhou did his thing (win) but Harumafuji looked sharp and alert. He's gonna be tough to knock off in this basho.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 20, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I think the question is really "Is this a mindfuck?" when speaking about Aran. He may have done that to keep everyone guessing and maybe catch a stronger competitor sleeping on the tachiai. If he henka-ed there his next opponent needs to beware and he can keep them guessing.

At least that's what I'd like to think.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Well it's on Baruto to run the table now. I am pulling for him but I don't see it happening. Is it a good idea to make Ozeki then not show at the next tournament to give time to heal? Or would he immediately be demoted?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

Also, Baruto didn't even look as if he was trying today. Probably because he hasn't fully healed just yet but still, being shoved out like this is just pathetic.

Maybe he wasn't. If he doesn't want to risk further injury in a match he is likely to lose, just go out easy and try hard against more favorable odds?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Ikioi - Gagamaru was a great match very spirited

Baruto was taking no prisoners there, hopefully he can win out!

Harumafuji won well but I really hope he's not injured, that would really be lame he had gotten into form from the after the first 3 days and looks great. Hopefully it's nothing serious,

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Harumafuji looks fairly unbeatable at this point, looks like his knee is in good nick

Like I said with Baruto, leg injuries especially knee injuries are tricky. One wrong step and it could be full blown terrible. That said, I'm glad Harumafuji did well and I hope it was nothing more than a little sore.

Baruto closing in on a return to Ozeki, I'm rooting for him!

I'm surprised at Hakuho there! That could pretty much wrap it up barring catastrophe for Harumafuji.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Aran vs Goeido is definitely match of the basho so far! So nice they showed it twice!

I agree with a false's take on Baruto. Now that there's no shot at Ozeki this time around he can take it slow with that leg.

Harumafuji looked good today so maybe it was just a bit of a knock but he'll clinch with a win tomorrow anyway so he may take his foot of the gas just in case.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
His matches are fun to watch but I feel like he's bound to be stuck between the levels. If he bulks up it may help but won't he lose some of that quickness and fancy footwork?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Uber Kosh posted:

Just bought my ticket to Day 7 of the March basho in Osaka. So excited!

Super jealous, take plenty of pictures for the thread!

Mao posted:

Are the training methods and such of the stables also bound by such traditions? Or, do they have a lot of the things found in major western sports machines like nutritionists, doctors and 'sports medicine' people that are constantly testing for the latest and greatest workouts and regimens to give their wrestlers that edge in strength, speed, weight, or what have you?

To me the conflict between how traditional the sport is vs the new advances in medicine and physiology could be an interesting topic, as well as how the sport is adopting to it.

That's a good question, from the Nat Geo/Discovery stuff I've seen they never mention any hi-tech equipment or medicine. They look like they train the old fashioned way and eat chanko and drink beer. I most definitely could be wrong here and someone more familiar please enlighten us!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I'm sorry to post just this, but do the even numbered months go by the slowest?

Well, I was looking to see the whole list of techniques but my eyes glazed over. I didn't realize there were so many! I just knew oshidashi etc. Well I'll be busy reading up!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 17, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
What kind of recovery time does surgery like that require? If it's extensive then there's no point to waiting to get hurt then doing it. Better to get it done, recover, get back while he's still young enough to bounce back.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
The lack of Kintamayama's coverage is killing me. I usually watch on the bus on the way to work now I have to try to sneak matches in here and there. Thank you for the sumogames link though, really helpful!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

As for that Gagamaru bit, I guess the gyoji didn't see or didn't bother to call a matta.

As for Hakuho, maybe assholeishness increases asymptotically as he approaches Asashoryu?

Outfuckingstanding. That's what a yokozuna does, adapt and overcome, whoosh!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I'm finding it fascinating watching the lower divisions. A lot of it looks the same as makuuchi, but with the slower pace and no crowd energy it's an odd experience. These are pretty much teenagers, right?

And you get bouts like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsdLQ8g7Ng

Classic 400lbs monster vs. 150lbs kid. Always interesting. Now, I know the gyoji makes winner declaration in a unique voice but that gyoji sounded like he had gravel in his throat. Is it important for them to get that high pitched strained voice down pat?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think we've been a little spoiled by a succession of some of the most dominant yokozuna in sumo history in Hakuho and Asashoryu. Not every yokozuna is going to be like those guys.

I just started following sumo with the OP in this thread so I guess I've come to expect that all Yokozuna will perform like Hakuho. I guess that an unfair assumption.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Basho starts on Sunday right? About time! It's also Japan Day in Central Park on Sunday (and Mother's Day). I wonder if they will have any sumo-related things there.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
What a great toss by Harumafuji! Too bad for Baruto though.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This. I've said it before, but Asashoryu and Hakuho were/are two of the most dominant yokozuna in hundreds of years of sumo. The requirements for yokozuna are not particularly strict, you just need to be an ozeki who is consistent and lucky enough to put together two consecutive tournament wins (or an "equivalent" performance). You don't need to have a 90% win rate like Hakuho.

Yeah, I came into following the sport with Hakuho killing everything so even though I now understand it's unfair to hold all yokozunas to that standard it's still like, "WHAT'S UP WITH HARUMAFUJI?!"

What does Baruto need to do to regain Ozeki? Also, I'm still rooting hard for Masunoyama, anyone performing at his level with a hosed up ticker is always gonna be a great guy to cheer for.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
This basho has been incredible. I can't wait for tomorrow! Hakuho's match was excellent. People were really going at it, really entertained!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
The tension is mounting now! The Gagamaru match was definitely messed up but you have to try even though the gyoji missed the call, but to be honest I'm finding myself rooting for Gagamaru. After Aran abandoned his henka'ing ways I'm rooting for him as well too bad he's not having a good tourney.

Also, at the end of it all I'm pulling for a Japanese yusho, it's probably a good thing for the sport.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

anakha posted:

gently caress yes. That crowd reminded me of a puroresu crowd during the height of wrestlers like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, etc. in the 90s. Really added to the atmosphere of the bout.

You made me sad. I miss puroresu.

But that was indeed a great match! I was all tense before the tachi-ai and then when they stood back up and glared at each other I found my self clapping and yelling like an idiot.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Masunoyama was gut wrenching to watch. I thought "Well, this is it he's not getting up."

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

YES!! That was an awesome day.

Oh man, slaps were flying, bodies were flying! Staredown, what an awesome day. Maybe the pace is gonna remain high here. Can't wait for Day 6!

It sucks about those injuries though, I wouldn't be surprised to see some rikishi pulling out, shame.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

anakha posted:

I hope Harumafuji is only dealing with some mental issues, as he's looked way off the past three matches.

Just doesn't look good, how much is left in the tank? I mean there's no demotion right? You win or you call it a day?

Hakuhou, Beastlord of the Sumomen.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Somebody dig up my post about knee injuries. They are always super tricky and to not be able to take time off to properly heal and rehab; that's a career killer. Real shame to lose him. I liked watching him in his best form.

Here I am:

Funkysauce back in January posted:

I hope for a Baruto comeback but leg injuries can be tricky and long lasting. If he does well this basho and stays healthy I'll see it as a big step in the right direction.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 12, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Glad for sumo being back!

Harumafuji didn't looks so sharp on day 2 but it's a long tournament.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Shouhouzan, you loving goon.

Oh look, another epic Kotooshu crash into the dohyo :psyduck:

I find myself liking Shouhouzan now.

What is it with Kotooshu being a crash test dummy? He's gonna get really badly injured one day. Those things being said, just a great day, can't wait for tomorrow!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I think I went on record before, let me restate, "I am a fan of Shouhozan."

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Kikkoman posted:

edit: [/spoiler] but Yoshikaze kicking the gyoji right in the mouth was hilarious!

He caught him good too. How old are the gyoji anyway? They may get some serious bumps if they aren't careful!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWniSsXfuA0

After watching today, it seemed to me even at full speed that Endou got a call his way. He is still great to watch and will definitely keep an eye on him.

Harumauji vs. Kisenosato another great match to watch! Kisenosato looking really sharp.

Hakuho I hadn't seen until now that foot yank, I thought it would have been called something else. Kintamayama seemed to think so as well.

Also, it hit me this week at some point that Kintamayama means Testicle Mountain. 金玉山 I mean that is the kanji, can a better Japanese speaker please sort me out?

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Masunoyama undefeated!How can you not wanna see him do well?!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
This basho is going well so far for the sumo I like except Shohouzan. I hope my boy Masunoyama can bounce back from that loss today.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Does Endou even have one? I can't see it in the video.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

Thanks for ruining the basho, Kisenosato, you yokozuna wannabe motherfucker.

I was thinking the same thing, unless he can repeat the feat tomorrow.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Well I just got caught up and loving wow.

I hope Masunoyama's back in January and I want to see Shohouzan keep that fire and turn it into results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Omnikin posted:

Harumafuji's out for the entire tournament due to ligament concerns in his ankle

Well safe than sorry. Look what happened to Baruto (knee); it's not worth going in half-healed and really ruining yourself. Ligaments take a while to heal and doing full effort competition on a dodgy one may be career-ending.

Dr.Radical posted:

Nah man, lunch is chanko-nabe!

Last time I went I got there around 12 and that was pretty much perfect. I had plenty of time to check the place out, get booze, food, etc. I also sat in front of a group of (what sounded like, at least) English teachers who were really loud and obnoxious. They were there for like an hour and then left before the last 2 or 3 bouts. Complaining about other foreigners makes me sound like a horrible nerd but gently caress it. It took me out of things when I was trying to enjoy some good matches.

Where they British, Australian or American? I'm a dick and want to know.