Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Counterpoint, the battleship sucked rear end so it was to the remake's benefit that it was cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So as a side-tangent, obviously there's been lots said and written about RE1.5 and the myriad failed early attempts at RE4, but has there ever been anything substantial leaked or released about the original RE0 on the Nintendo 64 before development switched over to the gamecube?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Instead of remaking RE1 they should remake RE0 but make it a good game this time

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Honestly, and I quite liked the REm4ke, I feel like instead of remaking RE4 which is still perfect and basically the best game ever made, they should have just "remade" one of the scrapped versions of it. RE4make works great as a companion piece and I loved my time with it, but yeah.
Neither it nor REmake need(ed) remakes. Code Veronica sure does. They'll never touch it in a million years, nor do I think Capcom would handle it well, but honestly the original story idea of the Ashfods being ex-Nazis rather than British nobility also fit better with the real history of capitalism and its relationship with the Nazis, especially pharmaceutical companies, and especially with where retcons ended up taking Umbrella from amoral megacorp to actively eugenicist comic book villainy.

Like CV and RE5 are both really close to - by accident, no doubt - saying something intelligent about capitalism and imperialism and eugenics but never quite manage to do so.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mr E posted:

Instead of remaking RE1 they should remake RE0 but make it a good game this time

Enjoying Revelations 2 with a friend, would love for a 0 remake in that style, even if they have to break up the game into chapters. Would also allow them to remake the mansion on the sly.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So as a side-tangent, obviously there's been lots said and written about RE1.5 and the myriad failed early attempts at RE4, but has there ever been anything substantial leaked or released about the original RE0 on the Nintendo 64 before development switched over to the gamecube?

There is some footage out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSW5F_OlQqM

...and a fan demake that uses the GC assets ported to RE2 engine on PS1, but nothing more substantial to my knowledge.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Electromax posted:

There is some footage out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSW5F_OlQqM

...and a fan demake that uses the GC assets ported to RE2 engine on PS1, but nothing more substantial to my knowledge.

Outside of the changes to the assets, this basically looks exactly like what we got.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Afaik we (as in the public)never saw anything of RE0 beyond some train stuff. Some screenshots of Billy, Rebecca, zombies, Edward, zombie dogs, all on the train. I can't imagine the project got massively far into production before shifting over to gamecube. I don't even remember seeing anything about Marcus or leeches.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Afaik we (as in the public)never saw anything of RE0 beyond some train stuff. Some screenshots of Billy, Rebecca, zombies, Edward, zombie dogs, all on the train. I can't imagine the project got massively far into production before shifting over to gamecube. I don't even remember seeing anything about Marcus or leeches.

Wesker was originally intended to be the villian, but they couldn't make the timeline work (and if Capcom noticed, it must have been incredibly egregious). There's concept art of "Weskers Creature", which I belive ended up becoming the Eliminators, but I can't remember if it got as far as a model.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm replaying RE2 Remake after over a year and it's still drat near perfect. The ideal merging of classic RE atmosphere and pace with "modern" movement and combat. Doing Claire A and I realize I've never really unlocked the "special equipment" in the locked case after descending from the Main Hall. Looks like the SMG, which would be very nice to have.

Also, my brother and I have been hammering away at Revelations 2 Raid Mode for years now on and off and only now have we gotten to "endgame". It's crazy how much mileage this thing has.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 28, 2024

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dino Crisis 2 on PC just got a Classic Rebirth mod like the first game and the PC ports of the original Resident Evils 1-3 did FYI.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Selenephos posted:

Dino Crisis 2 on PC just got a Classic Rebirth mod like the first game and the PC ports of the original Resident Evils 1-3 did FYI.

. . . Dino Crisis 2 got a PC release? That actually happened? When?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Selenephos posted:

gently caress YES. Is there a Steam Deck guide for it or any links you got? God I love DC2 so much. My only complaint about it is that there's no New Game+ mode that lets you pick characters freely or whatever. It should lean harder into its arcade nature.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

. . . Dino Crisis 2 got a PC release? That actually happened? When?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

gently caress YES. Is there a Steam Deck guide for it or any links you got? God I love DC2 so much. My only complaint about it is that there's no New Game+ mode that lets you pick characters freely or whatever. It should lean harder into its arcade nature.

Sorry, don't have a Steam Deck but apparently the other Classic Rebirth modded games work on Linux pretty well and Dino Crisis 2 Classic Rebirth uses the exact same installation method (though you do need to extract data files from the disc).

https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/dino-crisis-2-classic-rebirth/

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Getting it running is pretty easy, from desktop mode: install from CD via Lutris(available via Discover), which will create a winesetup and an almost empty directory( it doesn't actually install the game only a dgvoodoo file), then follow the "HOW TO BYPASS THE INSTALLER" instructions and "HOW TO INSTALL" with that as the target directory(I did those steps on my Windows desktop and transferred over the files, don't know if Universal Extractor 2 works on linux/via Wine). Set up Lutris as a non-steam game and launch DC2 from there, just remember to have steam deck developer mode on so you can switch away from the debug terminal to the game window in game mode.

Hel fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 30, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Played a bit of the RE0 PS1 demake demo. Interesting idea but not very well pulled off. There are a lot of problems with the way the backgrounds accidentally overlay the foreground and its activation radius for pick-up-able items is way too small. Seeing the 240p fried cutscenes was funny though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RE9 confirmed it seems:

https://twitter.com/ResiEvilCentral/status/1786346350436581579

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Whoa if true. That level of development feels like it could go either way, but they've been doing so well in general that it could make for something great.

That said, the source is tagged by community notes saying they've been wrong before, so who knows how trustworthy this is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa if true. That level of development feels like it could go either way, but they've been doing so well in general that it could make for something great.

That said, the source is tagged by community notes saying they've been wrong before, so who knows how trustworthy this is.

Ah, didn’t see that. We’ll see how it goes I guess (though I can believe the part about the two games being in development at the same time honestly)

In any case I’ll be curious if 9 is a return to basics (third person, maybe get the main cast back in center stage, etc) or if they’ll do another FPS style game like the last two. 8 did receive a third person version after all

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 3, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect they're going to stick with third person. They really only went first person for the VR stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect they're going to stick with third person. They really only went first person for the VR stuff.

100%. The fact that they added 3rd person in the RE8 DLC tells me they're done with that experience.

And I don't know how I feel about that, because I was super against it until I actually played through RE7 and that poo poo was amazing scary.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I'd bet good money on it being third-person for sure. As soon as I can find someone willing to do high stakes gambling over minor videogame questions

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well it's a missed chance to do RE5 remake first, then release RESIDENT EVIL SIX (the IX in yellow) as a reinvention of RE6 that somehow acts as an all-redeeming endcap to both trilogies.

That said, something on the RE2-4 quality but not a remake of an existing game or a weird mismash like actual RE6 would be sweet. And RE4 shows you don't even need first person to potentially turn it into a kickass VR game later.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RE6 does not need to be redeemed it is perfect in all of its hosed up ways

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It would be interesting if true that RE9 started development alongside RE8, because wasn’t RE8 originally a Revelations side series title? That suggests that RE9 may have been the “real” RE8, and that RE8 was promoted to the main series due to development issues with what would become RE9.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Re9 being in development for 7 years means it was started on right after re7 (and like you just said, 8 got promoted to help fill in a main series title while they tried to figure out what they want out of 9)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wonder if it'll be first person or third person. My guess is they shift back to third person for the main series and make occasional fps spinoffs in the future but who knows.

E: should actually read the thread. Regardless thats my 2 cents

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hopefully most of those 7 years involved figuring out to to reimplement more wrestling moves

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hopefully most of those 7 years involved figuring out to to reimplement more wrestling moves

I will use basically any excuse to post my favorite RE gif of all time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really like RE7 and 8, but so much of that revolves around the VR modes, which if I was a betting man, are probably done for due to PSVR 2 bombing. Plus RE4 is the best one and that was adapted from a third person entry, so who cares. I really want a new mainline entry with about the length and quality of RE4 remake. While I'm doing wishful thinking, I'd really like to see something with the size and scope of RE4, but with more of a focus on horror and exploration like RE2. Like, the same level of ambition as RE4, but with more freeform exploration and emphasis on survival horror. that would be my perfect RE.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm sorry, but we've had about 7 years on good to great Resident Evil games, so we're due one that absolutely sucks rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I'm sorry, but we've had about 7 years on good to great Resident Evil games, so we're due one that absolutely sucks rear end.

Resistance and Re:verse still existed!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah I don't think Resident Evil has ever had a clearer vision of what it's identity is than it has in the last decade. I think worst we could end up with a mid entry like RE8 which was still very serviceable. I think capcom has really figured out what works and what doesn't at this point. Although I think they really should do something slightly new with RE9 as well which I guess could be risky.

Edit: Single player Resident Evil. RE multi is forever cursed.

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight
I hope RE9 is in third person so I can play it without puking my guts all over my living room.

I don't know if it's just the VR stuff or the way it's optimized or what, but I can't even watch footage of 7 and 8 without getting motion sick.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you just not play FPS in general or..?

I've never understood why FPS makes some people sick. It's the same thing as a TPS just a different way to look through the camera.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I will use basically any excuse to post my favorite RE gif of all time.

:yeshaha:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d kind of like to see an old face we haven’t seen in a while return for 9 like Rebecca or maybe even Ashley since the remake turned her into a semi decent character.

I assume we’re done with Ethan now at least considering how 8 ended

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm going to guess JIll.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's time for a new Jill game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The number 9 resembles the letter "q". The Japanese word for 9 is also pronounced "kyuu", phonetically the same as "q".

So RE9 is going to be REq.

So my galaxy brain says it will be called REquiem.