Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE6 is the biggest Capcom project ever, 600 people involved

I guess I'm still kind of surprised to think of RE as Capcom's flagship. Megaman is dead but he's always sprung to mind along with Street Fighter, but I guess times have changed. Or rather, I guess I just can't get out of the mentality of 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My first cynical reaction was, oh good Capcom pushed the release forward a month because a bunch of content just became DLC.... but then I watched the trailer and I don't care the reason. Man I love resident evil.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Whenever I play the Darkside Chronicles bits with RE2 and 3, I dream of how awesome remakes would be. Does Nintendo have REmake rights? My gc copy works fine but HD would be neat if they could rerender the backgrounds.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Downloading RE6 demo from Dragons Dogma now, finally. Haven't watched any demo gameplay or any leaked stuff so I'm excited to experience it for the first time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Rocco posted:

ahahahahhahaha WHAT? I can't fault it for that? I can't fault it for something completely unclear to me as a new player?

How would I know what it meant without any context?

Doesn't the option say allow / disallow? Maybe it's because I play fighting games where certain people can be disallowed in MP chat rooms, but it seemed sort of obvious it referred to allowing you/your partner to use infinite ammo perks somehow. It doesn't seem THAT unbelievable for you to laugh at him, what else would it mean? Obviously they aren't going to just have a 'god mode y/n' toggle fresh out of the box. Your context is the other options defining the rules of the play session like allowing voice or allowing network play, IDK but it isn't that much of a stretch to say you can't fault it for not enabling the cheat from the start.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE2 HD with the love that REmake got (and the graphics that RE0 HD has) would be so amazing. Make us fear the lickers once more.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PureRok posted:

I'll be glad when this VR fad is over.

Everyone will skip straight to glasses with embedded lenses and laugh about how people used to keep enormous 60" screens in their living rooms just to watch videos.

e: my interest in RE7 will fall as quick as it rose if the next footage of the full game is just this with an FPS HUD and a machine gun. Hopefully they can find a middle ground between the scripted action-less stuff in this teaser and a shooter.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Perhaps you should form your own opinion. It's not hard to find people talking poo poo about any given subject matter. Almost everything I like has a legion of people proclaiming it's terrible, up to and including every Resident Evil game up to this point. The only thing I can think of that can't be poo poo-talked is pizza.

If you specify "new york style" or "chicago style" or similar, you risk hatfield/mccoy style gunfights from breaking out in some parts of the country.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

acksplode posted:

I immediately said "gently caress this" and deleted the demo. PT might've raised my expectations for a first-person horror game demo but this was boring and hardly scary.

No offense or anything, but how does this disappoint you if PT raised your expectations? They're basically the same thing exact game to me. PT doesn't even have the mildly branching paths/endings that the demo does. They both just resort to "face in ya face" at the end.

I enjoyed both the first time through but neither has much to offer a second time, which would be a big bummer if the whole RE7 follows this model. It's cool once, but you know you're on rails. (I tried following the disappearing guy my first time and hit the invisible wall right away which kind of took away from the mystery - same with the guy walking past the doorway, I ran right after him and he instantly disappeared. I think they expected you to freeze there for a second)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm more intrigued by RE7 than I would've been if it was more over-the-shoulder mob shooting, which was great in 4 and alright in 5 and wearisome by RE6, which I only finished one of the campaigns on.

But I'm also not super excited by that footage so far, I like PT and the demo but I don't know how well that kind of scenario works stretched across hours. Agree with others that, while combat (especially if it's FPS) is pretty low on my priority list it also isn't clear if we'll be collecting weird keys and gems and puzzle stuff like the older games (I assume?) or if it's a pretty environment sneaking game.

Ideally it can recapture my early days with REmake where you are in a house with maybe 5 nasties and you only have 2 bullets and the nasties don't stay out of commission forever. About navigating across space repeatedly and carefully, but without making your family dudes into basically the alien from Isolation and require constant crouch-hiding.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

A neat peek into how the layered transparencies were handled to allow the player to go behind them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I kinda wouldn't mind never seeing old RE people again because I'm kinda sick of most of them, but then I don't know what exactly I consider the soul of the RE franchise if not them. Otherwise it's just some zombie game with the RE title.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Going through doors was an effective zombie escape move in the old games too...

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Creamed Cormp posted:

The gunplay looks awful, and as long as Capcom doesn't release some good shotgun decapitations gameplay videos, I'm not interested in RE7

Awful gunplay is just part of the return to the series pre-4 roots.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I was still mentally capable of experiencing the sheer terror of playing SH1 on psx again. I wish games could scare me like they did when I was 14.

Just insult people on an MMO until some kid calls a SWAT team to your house.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE is just adopting the ways of all the dead Konami franchises.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Neither of them are amazing now, but RE2 was a pretty big step up from RE1 in the graphic detail department at the time too.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The original RE was only 6 years old when REmake was made (which is now 14 years old).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The YouTube comments claim that boss song was called ship battle in the data. That sounds like an RE thing to have.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So if I have it right...

- Beginning Hour is not a sequence from the main game, but instead is a prequel.
- Beginning Hour features two narratives:
--- The player navigating the house in 'realtime' and, in the true ending, escaping the house but no one believes their story
--- a VHS tape the player can view showing a trio of filmmakers exploring the house previously, ending with one of them being killed
- Kitchen is a sister experience to the Beginning Hour VHS tape and occurs afterward. The person in the kitchen chair is the controllable cameraman from the tape, and the man on the floor is the host. Both are killed. Kitchen was made as a sort of proof-of-concept for going all-in on VR in the full game.
- the main game features a protagonist named Ethan who does not appear/get mentioned in either of the demos.
- the antagonists are partially shown in them, however - Jack in the BH demo (several endings, the basement), and a woman in the Kitchen. We know from trailers that Jack is the patriarch, Marguerite the matriarch, an elderly woman in a wheelchair is also there, and the son Lucas who is mentioned in newspaper clippings.
- at some expo a third Lantern demo was shown featuring another playable character, Mia, hiding from Marguerite. Apparently Mia is the missing wife of Ethan. Some speculation that (possible full game spoiler here?) Mia is actually the mutated woman in the Kitchen demo and may change appearances.

I will say I like that they're playing it close to the chest, and it's also cool how they got people to come back to the demo a couple times with updates. Getting really excited for this game actually.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Couldn't you probably get a more immersive and realistic VR smell for the Bakers house by putting your dog in your lap and aiming it's butthole at your face?

Our pets try to provide this experience for every game.

I hope RE7 is legit terrifying. The only moments I would say RE bordered on actually scary were parts of the REmake (Lisa and her house, Crimson Heads) and the freezer lab in RE4 with those mouthbreathing creeps. And maybe the first time Chainsaw man got in your face in RE4 and you didn't know what to do.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just beat RE4 again and I love/am saddened by the credits showing the Ganado villages before Sadler arrived, all happy farmers and children... then the music turns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weHtgqZ5Bs

A lovely melancholy backstory in about 60 seconds. I wonder if we'll see something similar with the family in RE7 pre-crazy (especially if it turns out they were Umbrella experiments again or whatever).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Some rose-tinted glasses going on, but I'm midway through RE5 (first time since launch) and I think RE4 does a much better job in combat arena design. No problem with them aping the highly memorable village siege sections from early RE4 in the early Africa levels in 5, but the sandy alleys & streets felt more rigid and less organic than the Spanish village. A lot of 5 feels kind of linear compared to traversing the same village sections across the first few hours of 4 - 5 feels less memorable in terms of place. Mostly though, RE4's controls and mechanics feel a bit tighter (not a fan of the 'active inventory' in 5) and the level designs suit them better.

So many personal RE4 highlights:
- first village
- sniper valley with crossing bridges
- 4 water pools room (love this one)
- garrador trap cage
- twin garradors in small hallway after the clock tower (another fun one)
- round staircase tower climb to Salazar
- regenerator lab
- assault on the base with Mike

So far in RE5, less is sticking out to me...
- beach/docks fight has some cool elements
- dark mines w/ one person holding the lantern
- licker mines w/ long glass walkway
- conveyor belt fight

Can't quite put my finger on it.

I got 6 when it came out and beat Leon's scenario but just didn't like it at all so I never played the others. I've considered revisiting it after finishing 5 HD, but I just remember it feeling so all over the place.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
On my PS4 menu, this is so unsatisfying:

Resident EvilŪ
resident evil 4
RESIDENT EVIL5
RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard

They can't pick a dang stylization and stick with it.

But except for 5 these are 3 games I'm never gonna uninstall. Not enjoying 5 as much on replay but not bad by any means. If the RE2make is the same level of polish as the original REmake, can't wait.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vakal posted:

Once RE 2 Remake comes out, Capcom can dissolve for all I care.

Something about this post is really funny on a meta level.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder/don't wonder what the closest analogies to what Umbrella does in the RE games is in real life. You hear about human atrocities during WWII and human/animal experiments in the Soviet Union, I assume there are clandestine labs somewhere trying some awful stuff with rats or pigs or whatever now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I read the outbreak part of The Stand recently and I've had it on the brain too

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We're lucky everyone in the RE verse loves leaving notes for strangers.

Including you, I guess, with the typewriter.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was more worried about RE4-ifying the remake, not RE7-ing it. I like all 3 games but if they remake it like that FF7 style it won't be the same.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In a twist, RE2 will actually be done in unannounced RE8 style, which is itself a radical departure from all the others and is an RPG like Sweet Home.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE1 writing was whatever but that one itchy tasty Scott note really creeped me out as a kid.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I have not played it in like 2 decades but I remember Parasite Eve 2 being vaguely similar to RE and DC, but with an RPG bent. Never played the first one. You were in some kind of western motel town and eventually found the requisite evil labs nearby. The environments and models reminded me a lot of RE2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I would love to see RE8 (or an RE7 spinoff like CVX if you want) return to the swamp, that was a really cool setting compared to faux-gothic mansions and offices.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

unfortunately i think if they just go straight back to the swamp it might come off as a derivative lazy attempt at a cash in

But imagine the goo has spread through the crocs and wildlife and started to seep into the sleepy bayou town nearby, so it's like RE4's village with RE7 intensity.

Either way I hope there's another first person game coming, but not necessarily REmake 2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Was this cool RE2 Tomb Raider mod posted already?

https://youtu.be/X8YmlBddhpE

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1372341056784769027?s=20

Playing around with a look at the camera angles in the original RE2 for this place. I have a folder full of the ripped backdrops for a long time now but never actually tried to see if a feasible layout is possible. Wanted to try something besides a grid layout or whatever but I'm not sure about this either.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I played some RE7 VR over the weekend + 8 demo, turned it off at like midnight and let the dogs out only to hear grisly screaming and snarling when they caught a rabbit in the backyard. Had to go out and clean it up and put me in a weird headspace. Hope RE8 meets PSVR2 down the road.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The late-game miniboss flamethrowing propeller beast was extremely cool. Reminded me of MGS3 as the fight got more dire, perfect blend of camp action and proper intensity.. I finished with 4 handgun bullets and little else with health in the red. While it's obviously no Doom, they did a fair job making the FPS action work better in this game with their enemy patterns/designs while keeping the tactile feel of the world I liked in 7. The major on-foot encounters the fur beasts, axe giants + head werewolf, propeller man, final boss I generally liked more than 7's, although a couple bosses Lady D dragon, giant robot were more dull.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I realize how much I take graphical advances for granted as I get older after moments like, after beating 8, I decided to replay 7 (from PS5 to PS4Pro) and thought from 2017 memory they look roughly similar graphically, I can't tell the difference anymore. But seeing them side by side and especially looking at non-photo mode screenshots I took of Village, 8's lighting and stuff made 7 feel like a PS3 game by comparison, and I still loved 7 on replay (I did it in VR originally, this was my first 2D playthrough). Capcom are some masters of atmospheric lighting in both games, but the heavy dark/light contrast in 8 especially in the last major area... I think of REmake HD looking so good, but any of these RE8 screenshots would've been gorgeous static backdrops for classic style RE games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was inspired by beating this to go back and get the platinum on 7 with all the madhouse coins. Overall the bosses in 8 put 7's to shame. Conceptually the Jack fights are cool but none of them are very fun mechanically. The Lucas fight from Chris DLC was better and more akin to 8's. But the final boss is hardly even a boss... they hadn't quite figured out FPS combat for 7, 8 feels much better. The fat molded also aren't very fun as mini bosses compared to the big lycans or the later one.