Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It's kinda weird that all the Majini in RE5 confuse you for Robert Goulet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

So what's the post-release sentiment on RE6? I sometimes see the sentiment espoused that the game radically diverges from RE4/5, but doesn't have the courtesy of letting the player know that it's now a brawler with gunplay serving only to stun/combo-link. Is that true? Because that sounds super fun, and I liked what I saw from some mercenaries videos on Youtube, but I've also heard that it's a QTE fest bogged down with vehicle segments and cover shooting, all of which sounds terrible.

Does co-op save it like it does RE5?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I was cautiously psyched for ORC when they announced the concept. It's an awesome idea for a game. But man, the execution.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

What's a efficient way to kill those instant-kill bugs in RE5? Those assholes are kicking my rear end.

Surprised how easy the game is. Killing a roomful of liches isn't even challenging. Not sure if fighting ganados with guns. More irritating than anything else,

If I'm remembering right, try flash grenades.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

RE: Revelations seems pretty cool. Kinda weird that you can move while shooting, and I guess you're always sprinting now, too? My only problem is, is it normal for Jill to be vibrating/shaking around when she moves? Whether I'm aiming or just walking, her character model is jumping around like it's getting caught on terrain weirdly or something.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Played a little more Revelations now, and man, what a weird game. I'm glad I only paid twelve bucks for it, I guess. I bought it because a number of people had told me it was actually a refinement over RE5's gameplay, and I can sort of see what they mean (being able to move and shoot/reload is certainly new, though I'm not 100% convinced it's an upgrade in this particular series). The combat feels way worse, though. Enemies don't really get stunned or react to being shot, and a lot of them do almost feints where they look dead or like they can be meleed, when they really can't. You just have to learn their movements over time. The dodge system doesn't really feel natural for the same reason; the enemies' jerky movements makes it so that knowing when you can dodge comes down to just memorizing each monster's telegraphed attack animation.

The campaign goes a little more actiony in some directions (controls, mainly) and is a throwback to RE1 in others. Given how floaty and off the combat feels, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to play raid mode.

Also, I know it's a 3DS game and all (and healing was probably mapped to the touch pad), but the little green circle-wipe effect for healing looks really cheap.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How is the RE4 HD PC port? The screenshots make the lighting engine look terrible.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What's the need-to-know to enjoy RE6?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Actually, since the summer sale I've consistently had agent hunt players joining in. What a cool idea it is, it raises the tension a lot to know a human player somewhere has your number.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The key thing that would be missing is the tech progression; the BSAA is pretty much conventional guns and muscles all the way. (Though I've always felt that RE could use a big monster-man on the good guys' team, though I guess pretty much all of the mutagens make you go insane and eventually die in RE.)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

HERE COMES A LOT OF WORDS ABOUT RESIDENT EVIL STORY :haw:

Resident Evil 6 has a really bad plot, even by franchise standards. If you lay all the stories side by side and order the events sensibly, I mean, there's a narrative that makes sense there, but for a story that involves huge global bio-terror attacks, international missile strikes, the exposure of the illuminati, the death of the president, etc. there are no personal stakes for anyone involved in the story. The main character of Resident Evil 6 is clone Ada, the unplayable character that makes only fleeting appearances throughout the game. She was created as a deranged sex-toy homunculus by Simmons, and has an understandably tortured existence and worldview because of this. Simmons is a pretty standard stock character, the obsessive wizard/jilted mad scientist. This is the foundation of an okay plot, it's part Pygmalion, part Frankenstein, part Resident Evil super-virus hoo-hah. It's also a pretty intimate, personal story that doesn't really justify the scale seen in RE6, but you could swing it if you went really baroque with the tone. The problem is with how it's framed, how it's told.

Who is Simmons? We barely get to see this character. I played the campaigns in the order they were listed in the menu, and I had pretty much no idea who he was by the time he was dead.

What is Neo-Umbrella? I guess it was some kind of feint? This seems like a really weird name to invoke for a faction that suggests an ideology that Umbrella never had, and is also drumming up the corpse of a franchise "character" for little reason. I still don't know exactly what Neo-Umbrella was supposed to be.

The C-Virus. Necessary for the creation of Clone Ada, but squandered with the rest of the games enemies. The C-Virus does nothing thematically, it's just more big monsters. The idea of pod people hatching from hosed up cocoons and harboring deadly monstrous forms is a compelling one, but RE6 just has big armored doofuses come out of cocoons.

The J'avo. Who are they? Why do they exist? How do they function? It seems like they were normal paramilitary/mercenary groups that were tricked into being inoculated with a virus, which drove them insane. How are they still using their intelligence and (simple) tactics, then? What drives them? Does someone control them?

What are the stakes for Chris? At the beginning of the game, cherubic-C4-detonator-man is introduced, so that he can be killed, so that Chris can be mad. Chris proceeds to be mad and get amnesia (???). Eventually, Chris is maybe not mad anymore, I guess.

Where's Jill? Seems like she should be doing something, given what a big deal getting her back was in RE5.

The Helena character plays out a mini-version of the larger story, but what for? With a game as cluttered and hectic as RE6, there really doesn't seem to be time for this.

Jake's story is fundamentally sound, but seems like it maybe should have been its own game. It has its own clear character arc and narrative. If all of the stories were like this, and the game were an anthology of small Resident Evil games, it might be okay.

There's a lot I'm willing to overlook in a Resident Evil game. Notice that I don't care why there's ancient catacombs with chainmail-wearing zombie crusaders in a Chicago graveyard. It doesn't matter to me that the paramilitary squid monster can fly a fighter jet. Resident Evil 6 just strikes me as a supreme example of really bad storytelling. Its themes are weak and disordered. The characters are basically tangential to the narrative. The stakes of the story are inappropriate, there's no payoff. Nobody grows or changes by the end of the story. Though thousands have died in the course of the game, including the loving President, the entire game may as well have not happened, and things would still be the same. By contrast, Resident Evil 5 is brazenly idiotic, but actually manages to use its narrative, characters, and game mechanics to tell the story of the imperialist devastation of Africa through insane monstermen battles.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lamprey Cannon posted:

And it manages to do this by having literal spear-chucking, grass skirt-wearing, ultra racist caricature natives. RE5 may be many things, but a thought-out musing on imperialism it is not.

Invoking racist dark-continent caricatures as conjured-up shooting gallery targets invalidates it as a treatment of modern African history?

(The key scene of Resident Evil 5 is when you're forced to re-enact the Herero genocide through deliberate Holocaust imagery, and are given 5000 points for looting "dead wife's necklaces" from the corpses.)

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 17, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I do see what you mean, that you would have liked to see more than just monsters hatch and unfortunately we never saw what hatched from the one Ada found. (Probably Wesker).

If Resident Evil 6 was a good story, it seems like this would have actually been Simmons. We're told that there's still some of Helena inside of clone Ada, and that Helena was in love with Simmons, so it completes the bizarre romance going on for "Ada's" unanswered affections to have made a monstrous Simmons, just as Simmons' made a monstrous Ada.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wanderer posted:

If you think for one second that was a deliberate visual parallel...

Death of the author, homie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Nah, son. You don't get to ascribe a relatively complex and subtle historical analysis to a work independently of the authors' intention, especially in a work that's as blatantly tone-deaf to racial issues as RE5 is. "Death of the author" isn't axiomatic; it's a theory, and is rejected as often as it is specifically because of would-be critics using it to put meaning into a work that isn't there.

I don't want to belabor this point too much, but at what point does feeding mutilated African corpses into a furnace via a conveyor belt not evoke industrialized genocide? That's without even going into the deliberate choice to include lootable jewelry on the bodies.

Just because a game is (possibly) mindlessly reiterating pop-culture imagery out of cynical commercial motive doesn't mean it isn't still actually deploying those images, with all their connotations and signifiers. We're in the postmodern era, that's what it's all about, even. Who gives a poo poo what Capcom wanted to say, I'm talking about what they said.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 17, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

We're coming at this from two different angles, then. Your writing suggests that you think I'm trying to mine the text for the innermost truth, the thing buried inside that changes the form of the text, and I'm not interested in that. I'm taking the imagery arranged by the game and juxtaposing it with historical events. I don't think it's at all unfair to read that kind of thing into a game about opposing burly white men who represent, on opposite ends, an international government agency and a pharmaceutical/oil conglomerate (the latter of which is creating monstrous figures in the name of eugenics), rampaging across the country, smashing people's homes up and stealing their diamonds, while plowing through different eras of caricatured native figures and dark continent trope scenarios.

Resident Evil 5 is like one of the most deranged games ever, and there's no reason to reduce it to "Japanese developers were racist and trying to copy other things" when what's there is so much more interesting than that.

(It's also worth nothing that death of the author literally means that authorial intent means absolutely nothing, that the text stands as its own product independent of its creator, and that the audience's participation with the symbols in the text creates the meaning therein. That's the whole idea. There are other, valid modes of interpretation- historicism, psychological analysis, etc- which take into account the author's life and intent, but those aren't what I tend to use, unless in a supplementary fashion.)

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 17, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Resident Evil 4 is a deeply faithful remake of Gymkata.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I don't get the people who say Revelations' gameplay was as good as a non-portable game. The enemies don't have any hit reaction unless you shoot them in the arbitrary weak point, the dodge system makes no sense, the weapons were lame (though some of the upgrade effects were cool) and in general it just felt uninspired, like some other company trying to make a RE clone.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh poo poo, when Leon is using the wing shooters, he can multi-quick-shot everybody around him for only one block of stamina.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anyone ever have an issue where a friend can't connect to Mercenaries No Mercy? They can connect to regular mercenaries, and can play no mercy single player, but just can't connect- sometimes they get a failure message, or the game outright crashes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Give me your Mercenaries: No Mercy tips. And don't just say "melee everything", cause you run out of gauge and start fatbreathing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Aces High posted:

[Jill] just looks loving haggard

lol

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The dude photobombing in the lower left corner.

e:fb

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, I have a decent PC, but for some reason RE4 HD runs like poo poo. I have to set it to 30FPS lock or I get super slowdown.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I'm playing RE4 again for the first time since I owned it on Gamecube and I really think it's still one of the top five best games ever made.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Resident Evil 4 was based almost entirely on a horror scene in a martial arts movie (Gymkata), so it makes sense.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Early in Leon's campaign is pretty much a sample of what we could have had with a remake of RE2 (hopefully without all the QTEs and heavily scripted segments though). The section with the other survivors was really cool and could have been amazing if it were more dynamic. Imagine what an incentive to play well it would be if you could get everyone out alive!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How on earth do you unlock new mercenaries stages in RE6? I have A ranks in all the three that you start with.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I've beaten all the campaigns and I only have the three stages.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I've done that, too. Maybe No Mercy doesn't count? poo poo's really stupid and obtuse, in any case.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Props to RE4's extra content for explaining where Leon's sweet bomber jacket goes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Will Rev 2 be on the RE6 combat engine?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

gently caress em then. I love Barry and all but Revelations wasn't very good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Compared to RE5 and 6. I played it on PC so it doesn't really matter to me if it's good for a handheld.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

So, I'd like to get the bonus costumes from RE.Net, and I've linked my Steam account to my account there, but when I try to transmit data from RE6, it just says that RE.Net failed to connect/was unavailable. Is this service just shut down now? I have Revelations too, but I don't feel like installing it again to try that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Looks like you just have to keep trying connections until it works.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, there's some real missed potential with the lack of extra costumes for agent in RE6 mercenaries. Like, I know he's a surrogate non-existant character for player 2 in Ada's story, but if you're not interested in him at all, put someone else in instead. It seems to me, though, that his extra costumes would've been a great place to add in some cameos from other games, or some really crazy/silly costumes. Instead if you're playing agent and you get an A rank you just get nothing. :geno:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Really, was he not in at release?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That makes a lot more sense, then. It also explains why he doesn't have grappling hook animations and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Actually the spooky Disney Safari ride through China was maybe the best part of RE6, weirdly enough.