Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
P1011726 by Ross Payton, on Flickr

P1011756 by Ross Payton, on Flickr

P1011610 by Ross Payton, on Flickr

P1011823-Enhanced-NR by Ross Payton, on Flickr

Weather was finally nice so I went out on a walk today and took my camera with me. Using a lumix gh6 with the kit lens and a ND filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I really like this one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Me too, big boy, me too

Same place, different parts of the trail, a week and a half apart. The Ranger knew of 3 adults with 2 joeys living in the park, but my photos of the big boy were proof of a fourth :buddy:

The Reservoir has been open as a Recreation Park with walking trails and kayaking for 3 years now, and they just upgraded all the trails to a nice level gravel from the original fire tracks and service roads, plus the wet year has made the grass green and the border creek full of water. Good times!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

BEES! BEEEEES! BEEEZ!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Twice in the last week I've come upon coyotes that I first thought were sick/dead/dying but they ended up being healthy if a little annoyed at the wellfare check. We have sooooo many mangy ones here so these two are a real treat to see.

Do not disturb-0901

Side eye-0906

Wildcat sleeping coyote-0983

Wildcat coyote-1021

Wildcat coyote-1034

Wildcat coyote-1058

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

:allears: I love coyotes, I'm so glad you got these beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
In focus squirrel, therefor good picture.

Saving for the Snow by B. B., on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

In focus squirrel, therefor good picture.

Saving for the Snow by B. B., on Flickr

Love this!!! I love squirrels

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm going be in Southern Africa in over the holidays this year, and plan on taking some photos.

I'm thinking of getting a telephoto, but I've got a very limited budget (£200 is my hard limit, ideally less) and am split between bringing my Canon EOS300 (Film EF mount w/ AF) or a Nikon D7100. I'm leaning toward the Canon as the Nikon is heavy AF.

Any advice? I'm thinking if canon I'll get a 75-300 f/4, as they don't seem too bad and are in the middle of my price range. I know for Nikon there's the 70-300 VR? I looked into rentals but they work out to be more than the cost of outright purchasing one of these lenses.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Which 70-300? There is a bunch of them on Nikon.

Keep in mind as well, the D7100 is a APS-C sensor, so that is going to actually be a 105-450 equivalent. Great if you are doing a safari or something, but really restrictive if you want to shoot anything indoors or close up.

The AF-P DX 70-300 is only £150 pre-owned, and while it's very plastic and doesn't even come with a hood, for the price it's pretty great.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/af-p-dx-nikkor-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-3-g-ed-vr-lens-review-30569

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 10, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The reality is £200 is pretty much the floor for any sort of telephoto, if not below it, so you're not going to have a smorgasbord of choice. The 70-300 f/4-5.6 type lenses are the ones Canon and Nikon sell as a kit with their consumer bodies, so there's a ton of them about. Honestly, I had a look at mpb for used EF mount lenses below £200 and there really wasn't much else. There's Sigma's 70-300 version and Tamron's 'jack of all trades' 16-300. I don't know which is better.

Even something like the mk1 100-400 which sold in large numbers, had a lot of critics, are long past the point of being serviced officially/spares being available and have flooded the market due to the superiority of the mk II plus the general switch to mirrorless, still sell for £500+ (a quick calculation suggest the RRP in 1998 would have been about £1000.) It's like there's a psychological barrier below which people just won't sell telephotos for.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 10, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mega Comrade posted:

The AF-P DX 70-300 is only £150 pre-owned, and while it's very plastic and doesn't even come with a hood, for the price it's pretty great.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/af-p-dx-nikkor-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-3-g-ed-vr-lens-review-30569

I've heard good things about these as well but the AF-P lenses have some weird limitations with older DSLRs like the D7100. Namely, the lens won't hold a focus point when the meter powers off, and you can't turn off VR.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm happy with my Tamron 70-300 VC USD. OP if you're near Vancouver you can borrow my Tamron 300-600 or whatever it is.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Tussle by B. B., on Flickr

Golf course companion on the 12th hole.

New Clubhouse Construction by B. B., on Flickr

Coyote golf course by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 6, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

møøse giving me stinkeye

Curious about opinions the white bar at the bottom. I was shooting across a clearing and the meadow was in full sun while the moose were in shadow. I did what I could with a linear gradient and wiggling sliders to get some form of highlight recovery so I wonder how bad it looks to everyone else.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

møøse giving me stinkeye

Curious about opinions the white bar at the bottom. I was shooting across a clearing and the meadow was in full sun while the moose were in shadow. I did what I could with a linear gradient and wiggling sliders to get some form of highlight recovery so I wonder how bad it looks to everyone else.

It’s fine. Not perfect but not noticeable until you told me to look at it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol I thought of this thread title while plodding through the 8,000 photos I have from our safari trip

a little dude came up a lil hillock like a royal herald announcing the arrival of the biggest fuckin bull elephant I've ever seen

this was the last pic I got in this encounter before our guide very quietly goes "ohwowquietquietstillstill"

he was coming to give us a stamping, but stopped one trunk's length from my face figuring a quick HUFF and head toss / ear flap would suffice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Prairie Dog Butt2 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Feeding Hyena by B. B., on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
(1 of 2)-2 by david childers, on Flickr

Muad'Dib!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Still kicking myself for not taking the camera with me on the first dive as we saw a gigantic spider crab. But it was my first dive with new gear, so I wanted both hands to be free just in case.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That lobster photograph is making me laugh. I don't even know why!

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Was walking along a trail and heard commotion up ahead. A Northern Harrier was circling a spot I couldn't see. As I approached, a coyote appeared running in from my left and the Harrier left the area, soon followed by the Cooper's Hawk which had originally caught the poor Meadowlark that ended up as the Coyote's dinner. The Coyote watched me as I walked by, making sure I wasn't trying to steal the dinner he stole.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

That's a wonderful shot. Love the story too.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
some recent holiday snaps

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 6, 2024

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/vishalfoto/status/1780013486699160055

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Vishal has taken more bangin photos before he started college than I will in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Reminded me of this insane shot

https://www.worldpressphoto.org/collection/photo-contest/2020/antonio-pizarro-rodriguez/1