Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's in everybody's best interest to make a trip out to Alaska at some point in your life if wildlife is a big interest for you. I've seen tons of moose hanging around town, came across brown bears while on a run, lots of eagles and foxes, etc. It goes on.

With that being said these were all taken at the Alaska Wildlife Conversation Center in Girdwood, AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I would love to go to Alaska, I love the first shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no bad time to go to Alaska, it's amazing both winter and summer.

Biggest downside to summer is the epic hordes of mosquitoes.. but the weather and scenery make up for it. Oh, and expensive hotels that are stinky pieces of poo poo.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Going whale watching tomorrow! :dance:

I'm planning to bring my 70-200 F4L with 1.4x TC. Do I need the TC? I mean whales are kinda big. Not terribly concerned about shooting at F5.6 - F8 because we'll be shooting around 1300-1400 on a bright sunny day.

Would a CPL filter be helpful to cut down on glare off the water?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 4, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Musk Ox :allears:

Are there caribou there too?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

WierdFishes posted:

Musk Ox :allears:

Are there caribou there too?

Yep!

This summer I'm planning an extended trip to Denali National Park. Should be a good time.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

HeyEng posted:

...came across brown bears while on a run...

Oh gently caress that poo poo. I like living...

Please tell me that bear photo was taken from like a 800mm lens.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Going whale watching tomorrow! :dance:

I'm planning to bring my 70-200 F4L with 1.4x TC. Do I need the TC? I mean whales are kinda big. Not terribly concerned about shooting at F5.6 - F8 because we'll be shooting around 1300-1400 on a bright sunny day.
Last time I went I had my 100-400 and most of my shots were between 300-400mm. All shots were like this:

If you're lucky enough to be around when they're jumping out of the water you probably won't need the TC.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Lightroom tells me it was shot at 70mm. The time I ran up on a mama brown bear and her two cubs was frightening. They were about 30 yards away. That was close enough for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HeyEng posted:

Lightroom tells me it was shot at 70mm. The time I ran up on a mama brown bear and her two cubs was frightening. They were about 30 yards away. That was close enough for me.

Two close really, as mama would catch up to you and rip your head off before you finished turning around to run for the car.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's a fence in the picture.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

torgeaux posted:

There's a fence in the picture.

That bear would break through the fence like a marathon winner breaking the tape at the finish line just to get some fresh meat.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Took a walk yesterday, and ended up with a few shots for the effort.

This Petunia some how fought for life and grew from a crack in my drive way.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 5, 2012

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I went to Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem (Netherlands) yesterday. Very happy with these two shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to be in San Diego on a work conference later this month and it looks like I'll have at least one free day to go see the SD Zoo. From what I've heard here and from others, it's supposed to be spectacular. Can't wait. :toot:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
It's expensive, but it's pretty good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

You know, I didn't even think much about this and just looked it up. Holy loving :stare: you aren't kidding.

Syndromic Impostor
Mar 13, 2008

I must disagree; I was disappointed. I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, and we took a day to visit the zoo. Maybe it was just hyped up too much, but...I was not that impressed. Sure, I got a bunch of photos (some uploaded to a set on flickr, got a ton more waiting for processing). So yeah, it's nice and all...just not as awesome as I had hoped. More specifically, I was not impressed by the fact that a great number of the exhibits featured animals in very small pens or cages. Not worth the (very high) price in my opinion, but if you can afford it I would still recommend that you go. You can get awesome pictures, and maybe your experience will be better than mine :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia Zoo is hands down the greatest zoo I've ever been to, in Brisbane (well like an hour outside of Brisbane but that's the main city it's closest to).

My husband and I have done the cheetah and tiger walks (the tiger one was with my brother as well) which is really, really cool but pretty expensive if there's only one or two people. That said, it's completely worth every penny.

The other best part of it is the huge free-roaming kangaroo enclosure that you can go into. You buy food at the petting zoo for 50 cents a bag and all the kangaroos come to get the food from you :3:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
No whales on the whale watching trip. :(

But we did run into a bunch of bottle-nosed dolphins! Who came right up to the boat and played the terribly fun (for them) game of "let's jump out where the humies aren't looking!"

IMG_0100 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_0106 by The original David L, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That water is hypnotic.. it almost looks computer generated.

Is it from a polarizer?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

xzzy posted:

That water is hypnotic.. it almost looks computer generated.

Is it from a polarizer?

Yeah I had a polarizer on to help see underwater. The water was kinda weird that day too. Had this really smooth undulating characteristic with microwaves on top.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

This is great. How low to the water were you?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

No whales on the whale watching trip. :(

But we did run into a bunch of bottle-nosed dolphins! Who came right up to the boat and played the terribly fun (for them) game of "let's jump out where the humies aren't looking!"

IMG_0106 by The original David L, on Flickr

I'd take dolphins at 10ft over whales at 100 yards or whatever the legal minimum is any day of the week, but then again I just volunteered for a work trip partially because it involves taking a ferry that I once saw dolphins from.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Got to drive part-way up to the east entrance to Yellowstone today. Bighorns were all over the place right along the road.

IMG_2326, on Flickr

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The one on the left has a broken horn. :(

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Before I put it up I have a cool(I think at least) picture of a Red Tail Hawk on a rabbit it took. There is fur all over the place but no gore, so I was wondering if people would be opposed/put off by this?

The bird in question is a wild red tail but kept by a falconer(well austringer in this case,) I however see some zoo pictures(great by the way,) so I figured that wouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Needing no further encouragement then Hornaday

_MG_5193-Edit.jpg by David Jachym, on Flickr

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 11, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Post it.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Ferris Bueller posted:

Before I put it up I have a cool(I think at least) picture of a Red Tail Hawk on a rabbit it took. There is fur all over the place but no gore, so I was wondering if people would be opposed/put off by this?

The bird in question is a wild red tail but kept by a falconer(well austringer in this case,) I however see some zoo pictures(great by the way,) so I figured that wouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Needing no further encouragement then Hornaday

_MG_5193-Edit.jpg by David Jachym, on Flickr

If people have a problem with nature at its finest in the wildlife thread they can :frogout:. I think that is an awesome picture. It wasn't staged in any way right? The only reason I'd know it's a captive bird is because of the strap on the leg.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man that rabbit had one lovely day.

Hopefully you don't get to watch what happens to your corpse after you die.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Drewski posted:

If people have a problem with nature at its finest in the wildlife thread they can :frogout:. I think that is an awesome picture. It wasn't staged in any way right? The only reason I'd know it's a captive bird is because of the strap on the leg.

Not stage in the sense of staging something for a photo but the falconer pulled her out of the brambels she was in so she wouldnt break her feathers. While in the brambles she would get pissed at a vine and try to attack it/thrash arround and fixing feathers is a pain in the rear end. I just waited for her to raise her crest while lieing on the ground nearby. As for the rabbit it was a wild rabbit she caught, not a "stunt" rabbit so to speak. As to what happened afterward yes I watched however didn't record for postarity. If biology/zoology class didnt bother you then a hawk eating probably wouldnt either. If it makes you feel better the rabbit especially this time off year win most of the time.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Here's another one from the same day.

IMG_2384 - Version 2 on Flickr

VVVV a very sad looking unicorn. I think the other two are laughing at him.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 13, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The one on the left has a broken horn. :(

Obviously not, the SomethingAwful Dorkroom Wildlife Photos thread now has a unicorn in it. :colbert:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Can never have enough moose love.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Here, here. I mean, Alces alces.

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!
Went to Costa Rica a few months ago. Found a Titi monkey:

CostaRica_120125_0572 by justinlindh, on Flickr

This guy showed up at the beach. I'm not completely sure of what he is, but he didn't mind my camera:

CostaRica_120122_0172 by justinlindh, on Flickr

These guys were hanging out next to our boat by Cano Island (a protected nature reserve):

CostaRica_120124_0455-Edit by justinlindh, on Flickr

Turns out dolphins are QUICK. Getting a good shot was tough.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

eXpired posted:

Went to Costa Rica a few months ago. Found a Titi monkey:

CostaRica_120125_0572 by justinlindh, on Flickr

Squirrel Monkey. :eng101:

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

Squirrel Monkey. :eng101:

Hah! You're right! This whole time I thought that those guys were Titi's, which is apparently the national Costa Rican monkey or something. Now I'm not sure if we saw Titi's or not. Would this guy be one?

Dirty Damned Ape by justinlindh, on Flickr

Also, here's another interesting specimen... our guide called it a "stick bird". It took me about 2 minutes of staring at where he was pointing before FINALLY seeing it.

That's a bird in there. It's called "Stick Bird". Not making this up. Look closer. by justinlindh, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Capuchin monkey.

(Not an ape :science:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Pretty sure the lizard is a green iguana (or relative) and probably a female, judging by the relative lack of dewlap and jowls.