Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

William T. Hornaday posted:

I really enjoy your photos. I would love to have the access to animals that you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I have something to post here:

DSC_7902 by gustavonerdz, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Whitezombi posted:

I really enjoy your photos. I would love to have the access to animals that you have.

You can! all the photos I've shared here were taken from the public spaces of the various zoos.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Went to Sea World again this past weekend

Inland Bearded Dragon by faltion, on Flickr

Asian Small-Clawed Otter by faltion, on Flickr

Not a rock by faltion, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Faltion posted:

Not a rock by faltion, on Flickr

This took me a second, I was looking at the turtles on the left, then "wait what's he walking on-Oh holy poo poo"

That's awesome

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

You can! all the photos I've shared here were taken from the public spaces of the various zoos.

What are you shooting with? The fences here prevent shooting a lot of the animals. :bang:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Whitezombi posted:

What are you shooting with? The fences here prevent shooting a lot of the animals. :bang:

The gear I usually bring to the zoo is a 7D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 580EX II, and 12 mm extension tube.

I pretty much won't even bother trying to take photos at 90% of zoo exhibits. I'll walk up, look at it, say to myself "There's no loving way that I can possibly get a good photo out of this," and just move along to the next one. Maybe the lighting is too poor, the background sucks, the lighting is too harsh and contrasty, the vantage point is too high or low (i.e., not at eye level,) the animals are too far away, the mesh/glass/fence is impossible to cleanly shoot through, and so on; if any of these are the case and can't be overcome in some way (I've accumulated quite the sack of tricks,) I won't even bother. So be aware, the photos I share here typically go through a pretty thorough vetting process before I even think about picking up my camera to take them.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Please share your tricks!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
BBC Radio 4 show on wildlife travel/photography.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d84dy/Excess_Baggage_Wildlife_travel/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The latest episode of Frozen Planet was a "behind the scenes" look at wildlife photography too, if anyone is interested in a little bit of detail on how those guys got their shots. Granted most of their work was video, but it's still photography.

Those guys are truly insane. I grew up in Alaska so I generally know how do deal with freezing weather, but they took it to another level doing poo poo that I was told would kill me if I ever tried.

On the other hand, they got some spectacular footage out of it.

I'd sell organs for a chance to visit Antartica.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Faltion posted:

Went to Sea World again this past weekend

Asian Small-Clawed Otter by faltion, on Flickr

Haha, awesome! Man, nothing beats the connection we have with other mammals. I know exactly how that otter feels.

Wild"life"?

horse by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

bat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

snake by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Some of the photos I'm happy with from my trip to the wildlife park. I'll be going back when we have better weather. Also, next time I'll go on my own so I can spend more time waiting for the right moment, rather than have to hurry along for friends. Although that being said they were quite patient.

The first shot is just something that was funny on the day. I think we were both cursing one another for standing in each other's frame. Second one is the best from my day. Third one looks a little soft to me, but I like the reflection thing, so I included it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
A couple of smaller Wyoming critters...

jumping spider

IMG_6846 - Version 2 on Flickr

horned lizard

IMG_6830 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Good week for lizards.

Wary Lizard by torgeaux, on Flickr

Dont Look Back by torgeaux, on Flickr

About 5 Feet Long by torgeaux, on Flickr

Close Big One by torgeaux, on Flickr

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Buceph posted:

Hahaha! This is evolution.jpg. Look how similar they are! Just afterwards, the guy checks how the picture came out and the monkey checks out its dick.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went for a cold walk yesterday, and as I was stalking a robin my camera's AF zoomed way past the bird onto this brown blob in the background:

I managed to sneak pretty close while he was eating until he finally got fed up with me and held this old dracula pose for about 30 seconds before swimming away:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Those teeth are weirding me out, were you making some post adjustments that caused that?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

neckbeard posted:

Those teeth are weirding me out, were you making some post adjustments that caused that?

Beaver teeth are normally gross like that.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

No adjustments. I thought for an animal that uses tree bark for dental floss they would have much whiter teeth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

No adjustments. I thought for an animal that uses tree bark for dental floss they would have much whiter teeth.

They wouldn't care anyways, because their teeth never stop growing.. they chisel them down on trees, which wears them down and keeps the teeth sharp.

The orange is actually their healthy color, it's some specialized enamel.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

The gear I usually bring to the zoo is a 7D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 580EX II, and 12 mm extension tube.

I pretty much won't even bother trying to take photos at 90% of zoo exhibits. I'll walk up, look at it, say to myself "There's no loving way that I can possibly get a good photo out of this," and just move along to the next one. Maybe the lighting is too poor, the background sucks, the lighting is too harsh and contrasty, the vantage point is too high or low (i.e., not at eye level,) the animals are too far away, the mesh/glass/fence is impossible to cleanly shoot through, and so on; if any of these are the case and can't be overcome in some way (I've accumulated quite the sack of tricks,) I won't even bother. So be aware, the photos I share here typically go through a pretty thorough vetting process before I even think about picking up my camera to take them.

That's exactly how it went with me. Plus having the girlfriend and 2 kids along.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

That's exactly how it went with me. Plus having the girlfriend and 2 kids along.

Oh man, I never let anyone come with me to the zoo. And I can barely stand being around all of the other people's children there, let alone being tethered to a couple of them all day. Props to you.

Elendil004 posted:

Please share your tricks!

I may try and write something up some day.

Anyways, here's a tortoise.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
I went to Taronga Zoo a few weeks back. Really wish I had a 70-200, all of these were shot with a 24-70 2.8.

_DSC2741 by greatapoc, on Flickr

_DSC2748 by greatapoc, on Flickr

_DSC2795 by greatapoc, on Flickr

_DSC2952 by greatapoc, on Flickr

_DSC3072 by greatapoc, on Flickr

Unfortunately the Tigers were behind the ugliest glass in the world.

_DSC2971 by greatapoc, on Flickr

And the wonderful view that the animals have...

_DSC3026 by greatapoc, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Anyways, here's a tortoise hellspawn that would like to eat your children.

Fixed that for you. Probably the scariest tort...hellspawn I've seen.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

greatapoc posted:

I went to Taronga Zoo a few weeks back. Really wish I had a 70-200, all of these were shot with a 24-70 2.8.

We absolutely loved our day at the Taronga Zoo. A+++ would go again. One of the highlights of my Sydney visit.

goat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

emu by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

greatapoc posted:

_DSC2748 by greatapoc, on Flickr

komodo dragon by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Edit: I think these were all shot with the 105mm f/2.8 Sigma on my 10D

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pronghorns. Right outside the town dump, luckily I wasn't facing that direction.

Lander_Pronghorn3 on Flickr

Lander_Pronghorn2 on Flickr

Lander_Pronghorn1 on Flickr

Another wildlife

coiled_rattler 064 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 3, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Pronghorns are great. I've got some not-as-good shots from about a month ago I need to dig up, edit, and upload. Nicely done.

Just got back from a long trip, which included a couple of stops a couple of days ago in Manitoba. Squirrels are still popular around here, right?

Gopher 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Narcisse Snakes 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Narcisse Snake-loving Chipmunk 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rat Snake3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Rat Snake2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

I finally got to take my new camera with a fitting lens to the zoo.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The extra chimp on the ground makes that photo twice as awesome!

Still sorting through a billion pics from Yellowstone last weekend, so here's a deer from a day visit to Glacier NP a few days ago.

glacier_deer 208 on Flickr

glacier_deer 209 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kayaking + nature photography is just awesome. Here's how close my wife could get before the animal finally spooked:

Another shot:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Played at the zoo some more.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
:tbear:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/the-damage-waiver-bearly-covered-this-one

edit: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1114874

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 21, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Came here to post that!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That first photo is quite epic.

Bear is all "those settings are totally wrong for this light, let me fix them for you."

Though on a serious note, leaving the camera behind probably saved the photographer's life. It's really hard to survive a bear encounter once they decide to approach you. Running only makes them more interested in chasing.. and it's a race they'll win.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Though on a serious note, leaving the camera behind probably saved the photographer's life. It's really hard to survive a bear encounter once they decide to approach you. Running only makes them more interested in chasing.. and it's a race they'll win.
This is why you always go into the wilderness with a buddy. Not a friend, a buddy. So you can trip him or her and make your getaway while the bear mauls them. Works for all species of North American bears (black, grizzly, polar) but has not yet been fully tested in other parts of the world.

Plus, if you don't encounter a bear, you have somebody to lug around a big ol' tripod for you.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I was trying to figure out flickr and posted a Texas Horned Lizard!

DSC_3022 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

So, here's another of the same guy (I shooed him out of the road after this).

DSC_2996 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And here's a Chihuahuan Spotted Whiptail.

DSC_2917 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I missed a rattlesnake warming up on the road - it was the one time that day I decided to leave my camera in my office.

Edit:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Another wildlife

coiled_rattler 064 on Flickr

This is really great. Did you startle him when you were hiking?

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2012

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More or less- someone on the crew went to take a leak in a little gully, and when she started climbing out she was face to face with this guy. This year was so warm we saw 5 rattlers, more than we've seen the past 6 years combined. Most of the ones we found got real upset real fast- that's not what I'm used to from rattlers in California or timbers back in the east that have always seemed really mellow.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Wow, that would be a shock! Weird that they're so quick to get defensive, too. The rattlers around here have just started coming out. I've only seen two so far, but a lot more smashed on the road. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^ about half the ones we saw were on the road- thankfully not too much traffic.

Finally got through the rest of my Yellowstone photos. A few furry guys...

Yellowstone2012 315 on Flickr

Yellowstone2012 323 on Flickr

Yellowstone2012 296 on Flickr

Yellowstone2012 306 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 25, 2012