Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
There was some really strong afternoon light and I feel like it matched the scene pretty well but I think y’all are right that the saturation/vibrancy is a touch much. I will try and dial it back some and try and balance it a little better.

Tsavo East where it was shot was tough because it had deep red dirt (and red elephants) contrasting with golden fields and the haze and change in grass and vegetation in the hills always came out blueish tinged balancing that has been a real struggle for me.

Edit: looked back at my adjustments on Lightroom and I didn’t touch the vibrancy/saturation but I did use dehaze which definitely brought up those golds and blues especially in the fields/mountains.

Swarmin Swedes fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Big cats in the rain

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That second shot is :captainpop:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were around RMNP last month and I would have loved to hang out around the burn scar because it was fascinating, but the rangers are pretty dedicated at booting people from the side of the road. As such I couldn't wait for a more flattering elk shot, but I still kinda dig the return of life to a ruined landscape. If anyone's in the region I recommend going, it's fascinating right now (in the national park you can't really explore the burn, but the nearby national forest has open roads, we spent a day in the Stillwater Pass area and loved it).

Then I saw a cute little pika.

And finally an elk with a pretty nice rack. :pervert:

I'm kinda unsure about this one, there's no eye, probably too many out of focus branches, and I could only get an angle from this single spot. But I kinda like the less common angle so it kinda works?

And apparently I like squares.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

We were around RMNP last month and I would have loved to hang out around the burn scar because it was fascinating, but the rangers are pretty dedicated at booting people from the side of the road. As such I couldn't wait for a more flattering elk shot, but I still kinda dig the return of life to a ruined landscape. If anyone's in the region I recommend going, it's fascinating right now (in the national park you can't really explore the burn, but the nearby national forest has open roads, we spent a day in the Stillwater Pass area and loved it).

Then I saw a cute little pika.

And finally an elk with a pretty nice rack. :pervert:

I'm kinda unsure about this one, there's no eye, probably too many out of focus branches, and I could only get an angle from this single spot. But I kinda like the less common angle so it kinda works?

And apparently I like squares.

That environment would make for some really stark but beautiful photos! (that reminds me, I need to check the photos I took in kananaskis a few weeks back.)
I'm a big fan of cropping to whatever shape suits the composition best, rather than feeling locked to 3:2. Square often looks good for animals, I guess it's the portrait kind of aspect to them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DSCF2661 by King Dugga, on Flickr

I got a slightly better composed shot of these guys, but unfortunately they're just slightly out of focus. They were eating grit in the road and this was a slow drive-by shooting of them so I couldn't get picky.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Back in July, I went birding at a state park in Arizona. While I didn't see many birds, I saw tons of lizards:

Did something happen to its tail?

Is there a good book or website for identifying lizards (or herpetofauna in general)? I think the first one might be a Plateau Fence Lizard. The fourth one looks a bit like an Arizona Striped Whiptail, but didn't have a blue tail. Identifying lizards seems more difficult than identifying birds.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The Stebbins guide for western herps is the classic. There's very likely something more detailed for just Arizona or SW desert herps if that's what you were asking about.

I think some lizards can regrow their tails but they don't get the same scales on them so it's obvious where the regrow happened.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gyuto Coyote-7629 on Flickr

Gyuto Squirrel in Shadows-7394 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Drive home from school drop-off was nice today. Not great light, the dark one was hell to keep in focus.

Wide Foxes by B. B., on Flickr

Family by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a pretty fox. Hope you run into those two again!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I love shooting animals but it's the only time I really feel like I'm running up against the limitations of my gear. A cheap old crop sensor body and a 200mm lens requires a lot of compromises that I can usually get around when practicing portraits / landscapes, etc., but there's a ton of potential shots that I just straight up can't make happen.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I love shooting animals but it's the only time I really feel like I'm running up against the limitations of my gear. A cheap old crop sensor body and a 200mm lens requires a lot of compromises that I can usually get around when practicing portraits / landscapes, etc., but there's a ton of potential shots that I just straight up can't make happen.

I assume these are zoo shots?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

jarlywarly posted:

I assume these are zoo shots?

Yep! Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City. Wasn't sure if zoo shots are kosher or not in this thread since I guess it's not technically "wild" life, so apologies if those are not in the spirit of the thread.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yep! Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City. Wasn't sure if zoo shots are kosher or not in this thread since I guess it's not technically "wild" life, so apologies if those are not in the spirit of the thread.

I mean it does make critique different, a zoo shot means you have a lot of time to get angle/light/pose etc right and you can get much closer. So if you don't like the shots you have more opportunity to work on them.

Like if any of those shots was wild it would be a lifetime great photo, it being in a zoo does change the equation a bit.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This little rear end in a top hat is about 30 feet from the end of my driveway. I'm not losing any more chickens, no matter how handsome he is.

Keeping an Eye on Me by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Double post, but this thread has been a bit dead.

Wildlife refuge in Denver. Cold as hell, wind at 50 mph (same day as the Boulder County fires). Would be a great place to just shoot the bald eagles. They have counted as many as 55 at one time on the property. I saw probably 20, and lots of opportunity for flight shots as they come right over the walkway. Unfortunately, low temp and not a particularly fast focusing lens combined to make in flight shots almost impossible.

Tiger I by B. B., on Flickr

Serious by B. B., on Flickr

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
There is a Tule Elk Reserve with a hiking trail going through it near me and these guys are pretty used to people.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Saw a unicorn last week.

Unicorn by B. B., on Flickr

Edit: He came back with a friend, who also got his rear end kicked by the "Big Guy" who runs the herd.

Do I have something on me by B. B., on Flickr

Unicorn A in the snow by B. B., on Flickr

Big Guy Beat Them Both by B. B., on Flickr

And, one short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQMLi7Njno

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Does anyone shoot from a kayak or packraft? I see so many birds when I'm paddling, the views are usually much better than I'd get on land. I ordered an R5 and I think the 800mm f/11 lens is next on my list so I'd have a relatively compact bird setup. What would a good drybag look like? Something that's big enough to fit the equipment but still easy to open quickly...something like this maybe? https://www.drybags.com/product/aleutian-deck-bag/

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

Does anyone shoot from a kayak or packraft? I see so many birds when I'm paddling, the views are usually much better than I'd get on land. I ordered an R5 and I think the 800mm f/11 lens is next on my list so I'd have a relatively compact bird setup. What would a good drybag look like? Something that's big enough to fit the equipment but still easy to open quickly...something like this maybe? https://www.drybags.com/product/aleutian-deck-bag/

I haven't shot with a telephoto but I've taken my Fuji X100V and XF10 on my kayak quite a bit. I have a NuCanoe Frontier 12 which is very stable. I have been hesitant to take my DSLR and big lens out on it but if I did I think I would keep it in a dry bag (I have a few options, normal roll top dry bags, Patagonia waterproof backpack, etc) or pelican until I set up and probably shoot off a tripod that is secured to the rails on the deck so it doesn't get knocked off. I probably will end up taking it out in the spring since I have noticed the same WRT birds and other wildlife.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

I would expect shooting moving birds while you're moving in a kayak with an f/11 lens is going to be... challenging. You'd normally want to be shooting at such a fast shutter speed I can't imagine anything less than 1/600, combine that with f/11 and your ISO is looking like 3200 or something in normal daytime light right?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, I won't risk a big white telephoto on a boat, but I've gotten decent results with a 70-300 and want a bit more reach. The combination of reach and portability of the RF lenses is just too irresistible if I happen to come across a kingfisher or something in broad daylight.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, I won't risk a big white telephoto on a boat, but I've gotten decent results with a 70-300 and want a bit more reach. The combination of reach and portability of the RF lenses is just too irresistible if I happen to come across a kingfisher or something in broad daylight.

I do a lot of open water sea kayaking as well as a bit of mangrove estuary paddling, and have used the Nikon Z50 + Nikon 24-200 to decent success. Not the best birding setup, but its light and takes a reasonably decent image.

Are there any teleconverters that would fit that 70-300? Size and weight are my big concerns when it comes to gear on a kayak.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I have an a7Riii with a sigma 150-600 mm lens. I'm looking for a ball he's striped to take pics of wildlife and birds. Any suggestions?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Guacamayo posted:

I have an a7Riii with a sigma 150-600 mm lens. I'm looking for a ball he's striped to take pics of wildlife and birds. Any suggestions?

I do not understand the question.

Tiger Paws and Tail by B. B., on Flickr

Non-threatening by B. B., on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think OP is asking for a ballhead recommendation for wildlife photography.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume autocorrect completely mangled an attempt to type "ball head tripod."

In other news I got to see a couple sea turtles last week, turns out they aren't the best photographic subjects because when they're chilling out on land they look like corpses. But it was still neat to see.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

VelociBacon posted:

I think OP is asking for a ballhead recommendation for wildlife photography.

Well, now it's obvious.

Kirk BH-1. I could kill a man, stop a charging rhino and still use it.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Yes, sorry about that lol. I meant to type "ball head tripod", but autocorrect mangled it and I didn't catch it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Gimbal head > Ball-head.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was walking the woods at work looking for spring scenes and spooked a barred owl a couple times. Once I kinda knew where it was hanging out I slapped the long lens on and walked around until I saw it flying again. Did not like me getting close, 600mm wasn't enough. I need MORE ZOOM.

I've never seen an owl before so it was fun regardless.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This is not a great picture, but this little girl comes to my yard every day or so, and her ear-to-head ratio is so off, it's remarkable.

That's Some Big Ears by B. B., on Flickr

Heading to the Hills by B. B., on Flickr

Hard not to derp with just one antler by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 18, 2022

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Going through my photo backlog. These are from the Chaffee Zoo in Fresno, CA:

Sumatran Orangutan by Elanna, on Flickr

I did not expect to get a couple shots of a young orangutan peeing, but I lucked out.

Harbor Seal by Elanna, on Flickr

Lions by Elanna, on Flickr

This is a wild ibex in Israel:

Male Ibex by Elanna, on Flickr

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Playing with my new to me 7D mk II.

She also has a little baby (not in frame, I think she was looking for it here) and it's the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it's so small that even in the cut grass you can't even get a glimpse of it unless it pokes it's little baby head up.

I gave her an unsalted peanut.

What?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 3, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Went out to the marsh today. Didn't see much as last time. Walked 5 miles while listening to some chill electronic downtempo. Bliss. Took a pile of meh photos. Got a keeper I liked, though! I'm kinda smitten with this 7DmkII.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Went looking for muskox in Dovrefjell today. They are big, fast and as aggressive as only repeated traumatic brain injury can make you, and the national park advises you to stay at least 200m away. Plus we had a dog along so wanted to be especially sure to keep a safe distance. At that range I wasn't exactly expecting any magazine cover photos from the day, but I've looked for them before without luck so I was just keen to catch a glimpse at all.

We saw a group of three from the very first little peak we climbed, a dude with a telescope had spotted them already and helped us out. We were on the other side of the valley about 2km away so they are basically just blobs of pixels, but it was cool to see them through telescope and binos.

Then we tried a different trail and again lucked out pretty fast spotting another. We were able to cautiously approach with a ravine between it and us, probably around 400m distance.

Walking back through the woods pretty happy with the day, when there was some snorting from directly below the trail and we came essentially face to face with our final ox of the day, around 5m away and already angrily stomping. Seems that a shot got fired off during the ensuing panicked retreat.

If you look carefully between the V of the tree branches you will see a perfectly composed muskox shoulder. I guess not standing my ground, calmly changing to a wide lens and framing that perfect shot in the seconds before impact is what separates me from the pros.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 8, 2022