Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Ground Squirrel with some material for its burrow.

River Otter after finishing a meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Red-spotted Purple - (Limenitis arthemis astyanax)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Female twelve-spotted skimmer (Libellula pulchella)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Red Milkweed Nymph (Oncopeltus fasciatus)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Monarch (Danaus plexippus)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Pearl Crescent (Phyciodes tharos)

I gotta say, hiking with a camera and earbuds with some really chill music is probably one of the best light exercise hobbies ever. Absolutely love being everywhere collecting photos of amazing little buggers all over.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 15, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another bonus is cameras force you to stop and linger at scenes to take them in. If you're just "going for a hike" it's too easy to blast through a few miles with only a few minutes to snack at whatever the turnaround point is. But if you're lugging a bunch of gear? You are gonna be hunting for shots the entire time, it helps a lot with appreciating what's out there.

Getting that dopamine hit of making a nice shot is good for motivating you go to back out too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yes! Exactly! I was expecting to come out of winter with walking, then hiking, then transitioning to my gravel bike. I've been absolutely enthralled just hiking with a camera now. Biking, I'd ride 20, 30, 70 miles and stop maybe twice for whatever reason, but damned if I can ever remember more than a handful of the amazing moments of deer running alongside me or helping a turtle across a path. Hiking you take it in 100% of the time, and when you find one of those special moments you get to capture it. When you come home to develop the images, you learn about it all. The last image, I got the name mixed up because the crescents are more silver than orange. The orange ones are incredibly rare where I live and they're two entirely different lines. I'm probably just stating the obvious to everyone, but drat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Female Common Whitetail (Plathemis lydia)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think I figured out the Flickr thing.

Silver-Spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Male Twelve-spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella)
by Philip V, on Flickr

I may or may not have been squatting in poison ivy. I will find out shortly.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No poison ivy. Found this guy on a handrail for a boardwalk in another marsh nearby. Hanging out in the shade trying to cool off. I walked past him several times before I actually noticed him.

Gray Tree Frog
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2022

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Not the best on insects but I think this is a Tiger Swallowtail.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, it's definitely a Tiger Swallowtail. Looks like maybe Canadian.

Blue-fronted Dancer (Argia apicalis)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2022

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jerm324 posted:

Not the best on insects but I think this is a Tiger Swallowtail.

yup! i just got this shot the other day since we're butterfly posting. pretty sure the blue near the tail= female

and here's a flesh fly, no idea what species

xzzy posted:

Another bonus is cameras force you to stop and linger at scenes to take them in. If you're just "going for a hike" it's too easy to blast through a few miles with only a few minutes to snack at whatever the turnaround point is. But if you're lugging a bunch of gear? You are gonna be hunting for shots the entire time, it helps a lot with appreciating what's out there.

Getting that dopamine hit of making a nice shot is good for motivating you go to back out too.

agreed with all this. I've been going through mostly the same rotation of trails around here every few weeks for the last couple years and they never really get old

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Spiny Softshell Turtle
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ladybug
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Here's a squirrel from my trip out to Halifax

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bumblebee's last haul.
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I went out to the local Arboretum today. I was having a nice hike, but wasn't finding much to shoot. I was willing to write the day off and just enjoy the weather and the hike. The path crossed this drainage and I had to go see if Animal Chin was at the other end.

What I found was a grate with this on the wall next to it.

To the right, I saw a lot of cat tails about maybe 15' over. I explored and found a little hidden marsh swampy pond. I moved some cat tails aside, and I found I could sit right at the edge of the pond with tons of dragonflies going all over. Toads and frogs and all sorts of awesome stuff. No mosquitoes! I sat down and watched so many dragonflies going after each other. I looked down and this guy was just a few feet from me. It startled me that I didn't notice him right away to be honest.

Im not here.
by Philip V, on Flickr

I saw this perfect landing pad for Dragonflies, and I got this guy. I had no idea this frog was even in the shot until I got home!

Frog and Eastern Pondhawk
by Philip V, on Flickr

After a while I decided to get back up and go see what else I could find. I'll come back to my little private pond another day. As I was slowly working my way out, I heard the weirdest noise and looked left and this doe was staring right at me. This is the only semi-clear shot I got before she disappeared into the marsh cat tails.

The rest of the day included some turkeys laying in the dirt, a few damselfies, and a few more dragonflies. Still going through pictures. I set my fps down to 3 in hopes that I would have less images to go through. I think the opposite is happening. Such a great day, though!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mourning Cloak Caterpillar
by Philip V, on Flickr

No idea what this is. The closest match I could find is a Peacock Butterfly, but they don't exist in Wisconsin.

Edit: Found what it was!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Halloween Pennant (Celithemis eponina)
by Philip V, on Flickr

I was excited to find this guy out. I was hoping for a back shot because of their super cool wing designs. Next time maybe!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 23, 2022

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Finally got my Canon EOS R7 and took it out a couple times for some wildlife photos. These were taken with either the Tamron G2 150-600mm or Tamron G2 70-200mm 2.8. The 70-200 is WAY better with the animal tracking AF than the 150-600 which has the hunting issue that people have complained about. Seems worse the smaller the subject gets. The rolling shutter and warping is also a lot worse than I would have hoped it to be so I quickly switched to mechanical only, which is still 2x as fast as my 80D I had been using previously. Disappointing they aren't using a BSI sensor since the whole point of having a fast frame rate is to capture action, which is where the warping becomes an issue. Typical Canon model gimping I guess, forcing you to go to the R5 or R3 if you really need fast frame rates and magic AF. I think I will probably still end up with an R5 in a year or two but I'll shoot the hell out of the R7 for a while and see if it holds up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Female Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Smile for the camera!
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chickweed Geometer Moth (Haematopis grataria)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Summer Azure Butterfly (Celastrina ladon)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Bee on a Purple Cornflower
by Philip V, on Flickr

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I took a trip to San Simeon in California to see the Elephant Seal Rookery. I highly recommend it, it's very close to Hearst Castle and there's no admission fee. This isn't the most populous time of year and we still saw over 80 seals.

Surf by Elanna, on Flickr

Bellow by Elanna, on Flickr

Spar by Elanna, on Flickr

Sneer by Elanna, on Flickr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) on a Purple Cornflower
by Philip V, on Flickr

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
by Philip V, on Flickr

A lot of the prairie flowers are no longer blooming. :(

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
T137 Orca family

Orcas by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Orcas by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Meadowhawks have arrived. Found a marsh preserve today that had a parking spot of one. And a "path" that went a mile into.. marshlands. No one has done any trail maintenance this summer. There was a covid sign completely overgrown telling people to stay home if you feel sick, and if the parking lot with one spot was full, to come back another day. This sign was about 25' down the path.

Anyway, I was a kid again pushing through a huge field with no real path after half a mile in. It was great. I kept going and going until the growth was almost 3' over my head and started to block all the light. I think it'll be a prime spot in spring time, and maybe in winter it might have some cool stuff going on.

Ruby Meadowhawk (Sympetrum rubicundulum)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Cherry-faced Meadowhawk (Sympetrum internum)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Female Autumn Meadowhawk (Sympetrum vicinum)
by Philip V, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Humpback Whales by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Humpback Whales by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

https://i.imgur.com/OWCrM5O.mp4

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

SHROOMS

Gyuto Buck vert-5169 on Flickr

rifle range coyote-5464 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lone Bull by B. B., on Flickr

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
went to Acadia national park last week and got some cool snowshoe hare shots

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Some from the national park outside of the city

Plains Bison

I'm not sure which of these I like better -
Plains Bison
Plains Bison

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Just got back from fishing in FL, spent a couple days around the Everglades too. It's basically Jurassic Park.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Our local zoo just opened a new area after remodeling extensively.

[/url
][url=https://flic.kr/p/2oPW6Zo]Small-Clawed Otters
by Elanna, on Flickr

Sunda Gharial by Elanna, on Flickr

Sunda Gharial by Elanna, on Flickr

I was unfortunately a little too slow on this photo, I was still set to 1/125s.

Sadly my photo of the gharial resting at the bottom of his pool and the turtle in the same exhibit sitting on his head did not come out.

Malayan Tiger by Elanna, on Flickr

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
video ok in this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eJxF-tpl_4

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went to the zoo recently, got a few good shots.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

charliebravo77 posted:

Went to the zoo recently, got a few good shots.

These are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe