Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't post NEARLY enough in this thread. I need to find me some more animals.

Found these dudes on some ruins in Rome. There's nothing worse than realizing there's awesome lizards around and you left your 70-200 in the apartment and only have your 18-55.

Wildlife by hookshot88, on Flickr

Lizard by hookshot88, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I took a trip down to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage, AK today. Earlier in the thread, I posted some photos from my first visit last year. This one was cooler because the bears were definitely a lot more outgoing. Two black bears were goofing around with each other which was pretty rad. They switch from slow and plodding to extremely fast very quickly. It's eye opening to witness just how fast they are. Right next to them was a gigantic brown bear who sauntered right up to the fence for 10 minutes just hanging out. He moved over to a log where he ripped off all of the bark with hardly any effort. Just tore through the drat thing like it wasn't even there.

Short story is don't gently caress with bears.

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 28, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd want a hell of a lot more than chicken wire between me and one of those godless killing machines. :gonk:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Aww they just want to hug you and cuddle with you

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There is a prevailing sense that, at most any distance, a bear is just choosing not to maul you.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Elendil004 posted:

Aww they just want to hug you and cuddle with you

Or help you fix your settings on your brand new D800.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

I didn't even have to leave my porch for animals.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I made a difusser. This was just a test to see if I could push the light through it. It's a square tube with a styrofoam bowl that is covered with a paper towel. Next I want to line it with tinfoil and seal it to keep light in.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm fairly new to the photography world but wildlife photography is so goddamn fun I think it's going to end up a staple hobby of mine. Too bad it's so expensive.

Phidippus audax by forest.d, on Flickr

I saw this dude hanging out on the peonies in my backyard, what a gorgeous spider it is.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I'm going on a Safari in south africa, do I lug around two bodies so i can have my 70-200L with 1.4 extender on it AND something for closer shots, or do I realize that nothing will be THAT close, and if it's THAT close I can swap lenses and catch it? Lugging around another body just seems like such a hassle.

But missing a good shot...hmm...

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Two bodies. You always want two bodies.

More bug crap:

The grasshopper was not happy with me and I could only get side views. This is rotated from portrait.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

So I'm going on a Safari in south africa, do I lug around two bodies so i can have my 70-200L with 1.4 extender on it AND something for closer shots, or do I realize that nothing will be THAT close, and if it's THAT close I can swap lenses and catch it? Lugging around another body just seems like such a hassle.

But missing a good shot...hmm...

Maybe take a nice P&S for close/wide shots?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Eeek posted:

I didn't even have to leave my porch for animals.

This is nice and makes me pissed at my photos of a very similar lizard that are not even close to as awesome.

The Godzilla of Racoons by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Swarming Hordes by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ Those are both super, super awesome.

I think I prefer the first one though, only because it took me a little while to realize that the second one wasn't out of focus and notice the crabs.

Still, those rule.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
You could merge the two photos so you get both the crabs and the raccoon in focus. I think the photo would work best with both as the subject.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

On a recent trip to the mountains I decided to get up at 5am and drive all the remote roads I could for a (very slim) chance to try and capture a cougar or grizzly bear. After 4 hours of driving and nothing but deer and elk I gave up. Then on the way home later in the day I see a young grizzly hanging out eating weeds:

These two were also happily hanging out on the road on my way home:

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
InternetJunky, your bighorn sheep photos are beautiful - very majestic. My wildlifes are smaller, and further away.

Aoudad sheep:

DSC_3281 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Some sort of earless lizard:

DSC_3256 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Squirrel!

DSC_2603 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Javelina can't stop being cute:

DSC_3138 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Some "wild"life photos:

Iceland Sheep by hookshot88, on Flickr

Icelandic Horses by hookshot88, on Flickr

Icelandic Horses by hookshot88, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I've never been anything but a building/model/landscape shooter, but I bought a 55-200 thinking I'd start shooting some animals (and sports to a lesser degree). I went on a bike ride with it today and came across a horse in a field. Only, all I had to see through was a small opening in between some trees.

I thought this picture turned out pretty well until I looked at some of the other stuff in this thread :negative:

Candid Horse by iantuten, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I thought this picture turned out pretty well until I looked at some of the other stuff in this thread :negative:

Candid Horse by iantuten, on Flickr

This is a good shot but I'd absolutely crop out the... leaves, or whatever those are on the left.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I sorta like them there. It's like we're hiding in the bushes, spying on the horse.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

I sorta like them there. It's like we're hiding in the bushes, spying on the horse.

Yeah, but having the fence behind the horse kind of ruins the illusion of carefully sneaking up on a Wyld Stallyn..

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, but having the fence behind the horse kind of ruins the illusion of carefully sneaking up on a Wyld Stallyn..

This. I think oof leaves like this can work but for a domestic animal it just makes it look like you where lazy.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Here, enjoy some birds.

edit:

Dread Head posted:

This. I think oof leaves like this can work but for a domestic animal it just makes it look like you where lazy.

Sort of like this, then?

Or this one, but I may have taken it a bit too far...

hosting mine

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 22, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Elendil004 posted:

Sort of like this, then?

Or this one, but I may have taken it a bit too far...

hosting mine

I think that may be a little extreme ;)

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

This is a baby- that's about 1:1 magnification. He doesn't know the freak out when he sees a person.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Can anyone identify this for me?

IMG_7368.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_7364.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_7336.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

:barf:

It was about a foot long and a little over an inch thick, I estimate. It was also reproducing: writhing around over the rocks and weeds, dripping splooge (2nd pic).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Loch Ness Monster just gave birth.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It looks like a polychaete worm. They're usually called bristleworms in the aquarium trade, and smaller ones often end up hitching a ride into people's aquariums on bits of live rock.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Definately a polychaete. How big was it? Where was it?

The name "nereis" is floating around in my head, as a genus (?) of relatively large and free-living (as opposed to parasitic or sessile, like tube worms), predatory polychaetes commonly encountered on beaches and rocky intertidal zones of the west coast of North America, that look like that.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Definately a polychaete. How big was it? Where was it?

The name "nereis" is floating around in my head, as a genus (?) of relatively large and free-living (as opposed to parasitic or sessile, like tube worms), predatory polychaetes commonly encountered on beaches and rocky intertidal zones of the west coast of North America, that look like that.

It was described to me as possibly a pile worm (or clam worm) but I wasn't so sure. But after reading the wikipedia entry on polychaetes and nereis, I think that's probably what it is.

Size-wise, being in the water made it hard to tell, but I figure it was a bit longer than a foot and maybe an inch and a half thick. What confused everyone was that it was so big: I guess they tend to be smaller. Apparently they like to spend their time burrowing into water soaked logs and such but one old fart said he once dragged a deer carcass out the water and found a bunch of those in it, which brings up some pretty horrific imagery.

I took those pictures right off the helipad at our base in Prince Rupert, BC. Which is indeed on the west coast of North America.

Edit:
Here, have a jellyfish:

IMG_7202.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 25, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Couple more Africa Safari pics.

Hippo:

Rhino:

Anyone care to guess at this animal? I know, but I never would have guessed it without the guide telling me:

hosting mine.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Black-backed jackal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

Black-backed jackal.

Say that five times fast :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man that guy is camouflage as gently caress.

My favorite shot though is the one with the hippos in the water. The choice of focus really works well. Though the bokeys on the far shore is a bit distracting.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

xzzy posted:

Man that guy is camouflage as gently caress.

My favorite shot though is the one with the hippos in the water. The choice of focus really works well. Though the bokeys on the far shore is a bit distracting.

The hippo one is begging for a "SOON" macro.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

A frog!

IMG_9334 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

A Raynox on a 50/1.8 works pretty okay.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am really pleased with this Rhino shot

Then this Elephant came along stepped ON the electric fence to the game lodge, then began tearing another fence apart pole by pole.

Hosting mine.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
A couple from a trip last November.

Mother and baby.

Baby running all goofy-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

DSC_9829 by jakedropkick, on Flickr
Got free tickets to the Monterey Bay Aquarium the other day.