Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This guy showed up at a local park while I was photographing birds yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing a River Otter before so it was a cool experience.

River Otter by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

There aren't enough squirrels on this page.

DSC04733 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC04741 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you have the chance to go to the San Diego Zoo, you'd be full-bore insane to turn it down. What a great goddamn place. I'll have some shots up tonight.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Pronghorn being goofy.

two-legged-pronghorn on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So who are the pro you lot follow/get inspired by?

The first guy I always end up reeling off is Andy Rouse, but as a :britain: goon it's hard not to be familiar with that name. As well as being a top photographer, he's very got the gift of the gab, which helps his media profile. If you ever get a chance to attend on his talks, do.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/andyrousephoto

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Ring-tailed lemur being gangster:

Ring-tailed lemur attempting to peel a banana by Powercube, on Flickr
Ring-tailed lemur continuing its awesomeness:

Ring-tailed lemur with a banana by Powercube, on Flickr

E: All from the Singapore Zoo.

Powercube fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 26, 2012

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I went to a reptile convention on Sunday.

I love how both lizards stare at you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've got a chance to go on a 4ish day safari in South Africa. My only big lens that I own is a 70-200 2.8 IS II. I'd like to rent something bigger but I'd like some advice. The safari will include both day and night trips into the wilds so I want a low f/. I'm thinking either a 400 or a 600, IS is probably a must. I just don't want to miss my one shot for an awesome shot of a South African animal and miss it with my 70-200.

How much difference is there between the 400 and 600? are there options I'm not considering? What about a 400 with an extender? Or my 70-200 with an extender?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

While 400 or 600 would be great, be aware that you don't really need the range for daytime pictures as much as you might think. It would help, but the results will not be bad without it. My safari pictures earlier in this thread were all made with a 300 without IS at best. While I would definitely love to go back with IS and a higher zoom not all of them would have benefitted from the increased range. I don't think 200 will stop you from making beautiful pictures so don't worry if you lose your chance to get a better lens, but if you have the money I would go for it.

I figure animals in South Africa might be a bit less shy since tourism has been going on longer there, so don't worry about range too much.

For night shots you would need something better, as the leopard pictures show. I'm not sure if the IS would be enough, since I only had the camera for a few days and did everything on AUTO.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The much cheaper option is an extender, correct? I may have this wrong but doesn't it basically 'double' the mm range, and double the fstop? I may have that totally wrong.

mobot
Apr 19, 2003
When I spent some time in Kenya all I had was the 70-200/2.8L with a Canon 1.4x extender (on an APS-C camera, which gave me a little more reach). I was pretty happy with that setup, and the 1.4x only took me down to an f4, which was more than enough for the daylight I had.

Today I own the 400mm f5.6L, which I think would have been good to have around, at least for shooting some of the birds and smaller mammals that I came across in Africa. The f5.6L is obscenely lightweight in comparison to the faster and longer options available, being only slightly longer and about the same weight as my 70-200. For traveling, especially by air, that's huge for me. The faster 400mm and 600mm are not only 10x the cost (not sure about rental), but also both nearly 3x the weight and considerably fatter/bigger.

The 5.6L is also super sharp even with the 1.4x and because it's so lightweight, I don't miss the IS at all. If IS is a must, there is a 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS, though you've got the lower end of that range covered already, and it's not as sharp at 400 as the fixed 400.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I've got a chance to go on a 4ish day safari in South Africa. My only big lens that I own is a 70-200 2.8 IS II. I'd like to rent something bigger but I'd like some advice. The safari will include both day and night trips into the wilds so I want a low f/. I'm thinking either a 400 or a 600, IS is probably a must. I just don't want to miss my one shot for an awesome shot of a South African animal and miss it with my 70-200.

How much difference is there between the 400 and 600? are there options I'm not considering? What about a 400 with an extender? Or my 70-200 with an extender?
From my own research into safaris I know that some locations you don't need much more than 200mm as the animals will come much closer, while other areas you need as much reach as you can get. I'm not sure about South Africa but it's possible that your 70-200 is the perfect lens already.

Renting an extender is probably your best option if you do need more reach. I've seen some great pictures taken with a 70-200 with a 1.4 or 2x extender.

A 600mm lens would be a significant burden if you're doing lots of traveling and the safari is just a side trip. It isn't something you can just toss in an existing camera bag, plus there is a technique to using it that takes some time to develop.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Elendil004 posted:

The much cheaper option is an extender, correct? I may have this wrong but doesn't it basically 'double' the mm range, and double the fstop? I may have that totally wrong.

The Canon 1.4x turns your Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Lens into a 98-280mm f/4 IS lens, while the 2x doubles the focal range (140-400). It also multiplies the flaws in your images so CA will be a little more pronounced and since it also introduces another piece of glass to your setup it will affect probably sharpness and contrast as well. Also, autofocus speed is fairly significantly reduced.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drewski posted:

Also, autofocus speed is fairly significantly reduced.

Also, with the 2x, only the center AF point is useable.

B&H has decent compatibility charts for the various extenders, poke around at them before picking one to rent (the 1.4x's are much more forgiving).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, my 1.4x is great but it does really slow down focus.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I assume the extender goes between the lens and camera, right? So taking it off in a 'hurry' or putting it on in one is not happening?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I assume the extender goes between the lens and camera, right? So taking it off in a 'hurry' or putting it on in one is not happening?
Correct.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Pinnipeds ahoy !

Crabeater seal:

Fur seal giving me the get the gently caress out look:

Weddell seal weddelin'

Sea Leopard:

VVV Panasonic FZ38 VVV

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 27, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What did you take those with?

edit: so if I rented Canon 2.0x III Extender, which is about a hundred bucks for the timeframe I need it, that will work with my 7d body and 70-200 IS L lens, and the only real downside is only main autofocus point, right?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 27, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

edit: so if I rented Canon 2.0x III Extender, which is about a hundred bucks for the timeframe I need it, that will work with my 7d body and 70-200 IS L lens, and the only real downside is only main autofocus point, right?
AF will be slower, image quality will suffer a bit, and I believe your lens will go from 2.8 to 5.6. Plus the centre-point AF limitation, which isn't too bad for wildlife anyway.

Bialosky
Jan 29, 2006

"Washing machine?"
Spent my spring break covered in snow in the Sierras and saw some wildlife in Yosemite.

blacktail deer by schmoopybee, on Flickr

was he eating a hemlock cone? by schmoopybee, on Flickr

Bialosky fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 27, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Too many non-squirrels on this page:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CeeJee posted:

Pinnipeds ahoy !
Goddamit, I already really really really want to go to Antarctica. You're just making it worse!

Someday....

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ExecuDork posted:

Goddamit, I already really really really want to go to Antarctica. You're just making it worse!

Someday....

It is my dream trip, shortly followed by iceland I think. Why do I like the poles so much?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Took my son to the Albuquerque Zoo.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Whitezombi posted:

Took my son to the Albuquerque Zoo.
I love this shot. The line of his arm matching the line on the rock makes for a really great image.

Here's mine from two weeks ago. San Diego Zoo.

San Diego Zoo, March 2012-044.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

San Diego Zoo, March 2012-059.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

And here's a Leopard Cheetah (thanks William T. Hornaday) 6 feet from my face. No cage. Kind of scary in retrospect, since he was looking right at me.

San Diego Zoo, March 2012-023.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 4, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

n0n0 posted:

And here's a Leopard 6 feet from my face. No cage. Kind of scary in retrospect, since he was looking right at me.

San Diego Zoo, March 2012-023.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Cheetah. If it was a leopard, you and everyone around you would probably be dead (or wish you were.) Cheetahs are fairly docile (yay, genetic bottlenecks!) and a lot of institutions have some degree of free contact with them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hey I know that zoo!

And yeah, you guys weren't lying. It's loving beautiful and it's a shame I only got 3 hours there. I could easily have killed a whole day.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Some kind of zebra horse tapir thing. by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Hornady, I think you said you work at/with a zoo of some sort. What in blue hell is this thing? I do not remember seeing a sign for it and it's like 4 different things mashed into one. All I remember is I think it was near an African exhibit.

I would have hung out in those aviaries alone for hours. Absolutely beautiful birds in there.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 4, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

It's an okapi. Closest living relative of the giraffe.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well poo poo. I have learned something neat today. :cheers:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
The expression on the monkey* owns. It made me chuckle right when I saw it.

EDIT:*Or Francois langur as I know it to be now.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 6, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

William T. Hornaday posted:

What are the weird vertical lines on the left in the BG? It's all I can see now :(

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

drat. It was a [corrugated concrete] wall in the background, and I was hoping that it wasn't noticeable. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, I suppose.

EDIT: All fixed.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 4, 2012

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
William T. Hornaday, what exactly is that creature?

Reminder; don't gently caress with squirrels, they won't hesitate to rip you apart

Screaming Squirrel by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

neckbeard posted:

William T. Hornaday, what exactly is that creature?
Which one? I've posted a cotton-top tamarin, Francois langur, and snow leopard.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

_MG_5331.jpg by David Jachym, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

William T. Hornaday posted:

Which one? I've posted a cotton-top tamarin, Francois langur, and snow leopard.

Heh, should have been more specific, I guess that would be the snow leopard