Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
bears!

salmon sashimi buffet by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

These past few months have been completely poo poo for me photography-wise as I injured my rotator cuff badly enough that I couldn't lift a camera or kayak all summer. :(

I still can't use any long lenses but I was able to manage a Calgary Zoo visit at least:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

These past few months have been completely poo poo for me photography-wise as I injured my rotator cuff badly enough that I couldn't lift a camera or kayak all summer. :(

Condolences. I tore my rotator cuff a few summers ago and it was basically awful. Ironically, it was the best thing to happen to my photography: no work, no mountain biking, or anything except get familiar with my brand-new 40D (which replaced the 10D I destroyed in the same bike crash that wrecked my shoulder).

And the Calgary Zoo is awesome! I loved spending afternoons there. My brother and I used to eat some mushrooms and sneak in super late at night, which is a whole other thing but also worth it.

In tribute to zoos and my dead 10D, here's my favourite photos taken at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. One of the best zoos I've ever been to.

emu by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

komodo dragon by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

goat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Finally found out what was getting into the neighboor's flowerbed.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Got free tickets to the zoo as part of a zoology course I'm doing this semester:

Meerkat by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Leopard by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Squirrel Monkey 3 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Tiny Marmoset by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Instrumedley posted:

Finally found out what was getting into the neighboor's flowerbed.

I love the framing quality of the garden lights. Poor guy has has become an unintentional lawn ornament.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Hello wildlife thread. if any of you also read the Nikon thread a month ago I asked for suggestions for a cheap zoom lens to take on safari. I ultimately got the Tamron 70-300 VC. Let me tell you, 300 is at the limit of usefulness and a lot of the times I was dying for something longer. Nevertheless the lens didn't make an Ngorongoro sized dent in my wallet and I managed to get a couple of decent shots.

pride by bmc451, on Flickr

just chillin' by bmc451, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

drat that is an awesome pack of kittens! More couples-of-decent-shots to come I hope?

I went backpacking near Mt. Whitney and was amazed at the density of marmots the sparse glacial moraine can support.

Friendly Marmot by Icybacon, on Flickr

Marmot by Icybacon, on Flickr

Mufasa by Icybacon, on Flickr

Hey, you're not a marmot...

Chipmunk by Icybacon, on Flickr

Despite all the marmots, I didn't see or hear a single Pika, which was very concerning as they are pretty threatened from rising temperatures. :(

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Fungah posted:

Hello wildlife thread. if any of you also read the Nikon thread a month ago I asked for suggestions for a cheap zoom lens to take on safari. I ultimately got the Tamron 70-300 VC. Let me tell you, 300 is at the limit of usefulness and a lot of the times I was dying for something longer. Nevertheless the lens didn't make an Ngorongoro sized dent in my wallet and I managed to get a couple of decent shots.

pride by bmc451, on Flickr

just chillin' by bmc451, on Flickr

Just imagine if you had a full-frame camera like most professional wildlife photographers have. Then your 300mm would really be 300mm instead of the 450mm it acts like for your D90. That's why 600 and 800mm lenses and 1.4 and 2x teleconverters exist :)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Can my fellow Brits take a moment to sign the Stop the badger cull and Stop the Boar Cull e-petitions? The former is going to hit the 100k mark soon, but the later is less known about.

ps. Don't forget to respond to the validation email to get your voice counted.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I live in a very nice place to wander around with a camera.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 27, 2012

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Edit: Argh why does Flickr keep changing the URLs to my photos :(.

ruro fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 5, 2012

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Untitled by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa_atalanta

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm very envious. Was this a wild lizard? That's a great shot of a rare creature.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

I'm very envious. Was this a wild lizard? That's a great shot of a rare creature.

There was a male / female pair under the old metal sheet that I found in an abandoned quarry, totally by chance:

https://www.hooelake.org

The first one was placed on top of the sheet for the shot(s), the other escaped quickly, focus point is off on both but for interest.

another one of the first.

DSC_0564 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Moon Potato posted:

I live in a very nice place to wander around with a camera.
You're not kidding!

Could somebody clue me in on what that legless lizard is? There's just two American species, right?

A coworker and myself bothered this Western Diamondback the other night. One of us would take pictures and the other would monitor the coiled-uppedness of the snake. It was relatively chill though. Just annoyed.

DSC_9692 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_9711 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

This is some sort of Megetra, but I'm not sure which. (Maybe Megetra cancellata?)

DSC_9402 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Horse Lubber grasshopper trying to look normal-sized by climbing on a giant pot.

DSC_9044 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What better subject to test my new 70-200 on than the near-extinct squirrel and vole!

I'm so jealous of you guys who can go outside and find lizards and snakes.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Went for a walk today and found a couple moose, and then had one sneak up behind me, and then three more cut off my route to safety. The smaller moose were curious and kept following me around, while the huge bull stood back glaring at me and making angry noises.

I think this was the mother. She didn't give a poo poo and walked right up behind me while I was looking the other way.

DSC_2647.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Dad comes in to gently caress poo poo up

DSC_2684.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Ah, the majestic moose:

DSC_2659.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

And just because why not I guess

Okay by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I was looking for some thoughts on these two photos. Both were pretty much accidental finds while I was taking pictures of plants for a class. The lizard actually ran in to the frame of another photo and sat there or else I may not have noticed him.

Snake by atticus_1354, on Flickr

I am not sure if I like the colors that this ended up with.

Lizard by atticus_1354, on Flickr

This one I like a little more except that his tail got cut off because I was using a 35mm prime and a DCR-250 macro lens and ran out of focus range.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
A couple more from the Serengeti/Ngorongoro Crater:

Family outing by bmc451, on Flickr

Heat Haze by bmc451, on Flickr

Wildebeest by bmc451, on Flickr

Black Kite by bmc451, on Flickr

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
I bought a bird feeder yesterday and I know theres been a Robin and a Blue Tit out there today but I wasn't around to take a photo. I did however see this cheeky bugger.

Squirrel by icechris023, on Flickr

He hung around for a bit

He stood in the water for a bit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe he thought it was a bidet.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Fungah posted:

A couple more from the Serengeti/Ngorongoro Crater:

Wildebeest by bmc451, on Flickr

This shot has a real gorgeous film quality to it.

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Lorakeet by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

Lorikeet at the zoo with my girlfriend, really like the way the colors came out.

Osceola by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

Florida's own native Osceola turkey

IMG_5787 by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

On an outing to Lion Country Safari

Blackbelly by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

Blackbelly Tree Ducks, we get a lot of these migrating this time of year

evolution by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

Mo' ducks

coots- okeechobee by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

Giant flocks of coots on Lake Okeechobee, taken from boat

cory ad portas fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 18, 2012

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

DSC_1382 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DSC_1378 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well if there is one thing this thread needs it's more squirrels. I don't have lightroom yet, so there was no post work done(not that I'd know how). These aren't as cool as some of the shots in here(obviously), but I thought they were okay.

Fatty Squirrel by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

Squirrel Teeth by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

Squirrel belly by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Congratulations! You've captured the Jabba-the-hutt of Squirrels

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

InternetJunky posted:

It definitely doesn't help that my girlfriend feeds them walnuts basically out of her hand. They try to get in our house now though so we have to be careful not to leave the patio door open. Such friendly little fellas.

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
Couple more squirrel pics to go with all the others

Squirrel HDR by icechris023, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InternetJunky posted:

That aint even close. I have seen squirrels who could barely walk and for sure couldn't climb trees.

That is a good picture anyways. looks like you got right down on his level which makes for a better picture.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pretty much a giant water squirrel right?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
reprocessed an old shot:

Captive Slumber by falamh, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

These guys were outside our house earlier this week.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The one on the right looks like a llama crossed with a moose.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Handheld 150mm Macro Sigma. (I really need to break down and sell a kidney for a 300mm 2.8.) Shot in RAW, cropped a bit, processed in camera raw via Adobe Bridge.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Next, in my series of near extinct, extremely rare Minnesotan animals I give to you:

Whitetail Deer:

Doe by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

Doe2 by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

and Ring necked Pheasant:

Pheasant by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

These are basically the first photos I've processed in Lightroom, so I'm sure I overdid everything(looking at those deer picture they both look a little over-saturated perhaps), but hopefully they aren't too terrible. In natural amaeteur fashion I forgot to adjust the ISO after the previous night's night time photos so these all were at 640 ISO :doh:. All shot with my Sony A77 and beercan.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

DoctaFun posted:

These are basically the first photos I've processed in Lightroom, so I'm sure I overdid everything(looking at those deer picture they both look a little over-saturated perhaps), but hopefully they aren't too terrible. In natural amaeteur fashion I forgot to adjust the ISO after the previous night's night time photos so these all were at 640 ISO :doh:. All shot with my Sony A77 and beercan.

I don't mind them at all, they look as saturated as one would expect on an overcast day. Was doing my own version of the ISO/aperture dance last night as dusk was rapidly fading.

I'll see your whitetail and raise you a mule deer:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

More stupid moose. Piss poor light so had to handhold the 500 at 1/160. Just call me "The Rock".

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Autumn coloured deer in richmond park, London

D800+ 105mm f2.8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Time for a ridiculous deer pose:

Horrible shooting conditions unfortunately.