Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
My photos don't compare with the quality in this thread at all, but I have javelina!

Delicious cactus?

Curious youngster (the mom woofed and rattled her teeth at me after this).

Ow, cactus spines.

Please forgive the noob question, but I have an old telephoto lens on loan from a friend, and I'm getting chromatic aberratiowned. Should I shoot less wide-open (like I was all the time), or not at midday? What's the best way to minimize what looks like red-green shift out of an '80s sci-fi flick?

Thanks for the wildlife eye candy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Thanks, and those tips are super helpful. I'm printing them and bringing them with me when I go harass the wildlife. :)

It's this, but without the macro gear shift thing, and my camera is a humble D40.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Thanks! :) And thanks for the info about the lens, I'll have to practice with Macro mode. The javelina here are generally pretty chill (and very nearsighted), but they spook easily. I was wandering through their herd while they were munching cactus, and two kids were being very quiet and watching them from behind me. Then an older gentleman came up and said "they're pretty tame, aren't they?" quite loudly, and they all ran off. :(

Yesterday I wasn't nearly as sneaky. There was a lovely group of black-throated sparrows but I scared them.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

I love these even if they are not the greatest ever. Javelina are the reason I bought a DSLR. I missed some great pictures of them because I have a crappy point and shoot. Now I just need to get out there and get some pictures of them.

Thanks! I took the pictures at a state park, so the javelina are wild but they don't mind people as much as some might. (They'll still rattle their tusks at you if you get too close. That's scary.)

ExecuDork posted:

Finally had a chance to play with my new-to-me supertele, and chanced across the perfect (in my opinion) big-lens-test-subject: a porcupine in a tree. They're slow, they can't fly or jump away, they're very nearsighted and dopey enough to not worry too much about most potential threats anyway. Too bad the tree branches tend to get in the way, but the bright side of that is a chance to see the depth of field at different apertures.
Takumar 500mm f/4.5. Uncropped.

SD 091 Porcupine 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 091 Porcupine 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

These are very cool.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I was trying to figure out flickr and posted a Texas Horned Lizard!

DSC_3022 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

So, here's another of the same guy (I shooed him out of the road after this).

DSC_2996 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And here's a Chihuahuan Spotted Whiptail.

DSC_2917 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I missed a rattlesnake warming up on the road - it was the one time that day I decided to leave my camera in my office.

Edit:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Another wildlife

coiled_rattler 064 on Flickr

This is really great. Did you startle him when you were hiking?

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2012

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Wow, that would be a shock! Weird that they're so quick to get defensive, too. The rattlers around here have just started coming out. I've only seen two so far, but a lot more smashed on the road. :(

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
InternetJunky, your bighorn sheep photos are beautiful - very majestic. My wildlifes are smaller, and further away.

Aoudad sheep:

DSC_3281 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Some sort of earless lizard:

DSC_3256 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Squirrel!

DSC_2603 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Javelina can't stop being cute:

DSC_3138 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
First up, herps:

DSC_3870 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4612 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

A very cute desert patchnose looking for delicious lizards to eat.

DSC_4795 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4805 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4813 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Mammals:
I couldn't tell if this guy was cooling off, or hiding from me. Maybe both.

DSC_4646 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Baby javelina!

DSC_4779 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And a spider (maybe a male Aphonopelma chalcodes):
Someone was bothering this guy with a stick to get him out of the neat little ball he'd made up on the side of a building. They wanted to poke him onto the ground, but I made them stop because falling pretty much explodes their innards.

DSC_4827 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Here, have a nightmare!

DSC_4836 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Sorry duder.

DSC_4859 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Holistic Detective, those are nice! Very handsome horse indeed.

I've been unintentionally stalking a black-tailed jackrabbit. I keep seeing it eating in the evening. I think I might try to intentionally stalk her (him?!) because I really like how she runs.

DSC_4171 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4170 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_5486 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Warm up those first two.

That's much better! Thanks.

DSC_4170 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4171 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Edit:

To avoid double posting, here are some new ones.

This coyote gal (or guy) is missing a tooth, incredibly skinny, and came to drink even though I wasn't more than 35 feet away. Drought sucks.

DSC_7957 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_8021 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_8034 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And a chipmunk.

DSC_7572 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 15, 2012

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Opals25 posted:

IMG_3874 by Opals25, on Flickr
California Condor from the Grand Canyon; these guys were wild but were obviously tagged and tracked for population conservation purposes.

I'm jealous that you got to see a condor (and photograph one). I was looking up the whole time I was at the Grand Canyon about a year ago, and no dice. How weird was it to see a giant bird?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Opals25 posted:

The birds were massive, they were flying right overhead and all around one of the main overlook areas. They looked like they were big enough to fly off with a small child if they so pleased. If memory serves me right there were a good 6 or 7 of them just zipping around the rim putting on a ridiculous show that day, we got seriously lucky. There's a few more pictures in the stream of them too.

That's incredible! I'll check out the other photos.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
More desert critters here.

This guy seems like some sort of skink.

DSC_8193 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I didn't know horned lizards had spotty bellies!

DSC_8286 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Desert cottontail cooling off.

DSC_8833 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Dunno what the flower is, but tarantula hawks were loving it.

DSC_8560 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

And we got a bit of rain so these guys were around.

DSC_8508 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Moon Potato posted:

I live in a very nice place to wander around with a camera.
You're not kidding!

Could somebody clue me in on what that legless lizard is? There's just two American species, right?

A coworker and myself bothered this Western Diamondback the other night. One of us would take pictures and the other would monitor the coiled-uppedness of the snake. It was relatively chill though. Just annoyed.

DSC_9692 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_9711 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

This is some sort of Megetra, but I'm not sure which. (Maybe Megetra cancellata?)

DSC_9402 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Horse Lubber grasshopper trying to look normal-sized by climbing on a giant pot.

DSC_9044 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Handsome Goat is here to crash the deer party.

DSC_1377 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Armadillo friendship!

Three Rivers TX by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Got ridiculously lucky yesterday when my wife noticed this badger running in the ditch beside the car. I'm outdoors a lot and this is the first badger I've ever seen in the wild. Through the excitement there was a bit of chaos resulting in some less-than-ideal pictures but thankfully he did turn to face us one last time before disappearing across a field.

The badger pic is excellent! The only badger I've ever seen in the wild (alive), I got a lovely picture of it's arse. I didn't know they had such fur-puffs behind their ears.

Some oryx graced me with their presence the other day. I turned off the car and hopped out, but dipshits pulled up right next to them and nearly got them hung up on some barbed wire. Poor guys.

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I take my camera everywhere. Sunday morning, driving for bagels? Camera. Couple Sundays ago, it was threatening rain, and I was up early, left camera in house for bagel run. So?

IMAG0015 by torgeaux, on Flickr

IMAG0016 by torgeaux, on Flickr

My HTC is not as good as my 5DIII with the 24-105 I carry as my walk around lens. Got a short video, too, of him capturing and killing the squirrel. Lots of good opportunities if I'd had a real camera, or even a camera where push shutter button to photo wasn't apparently 10 seconds.

These are still awesome! I try to console myself by thinking "well, I wouldn't have seen that if I had brought my camera" because it would have taken me 10 extra seconds or something to get out the door.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Do you live in El Paso county or were you just passing through? Where did you see these guys?

I live here - saw them on Ranch Road 2775. Apparently they're all around White Sands Missile Range too. I'd seen them a few weeks before and got cellphone pics (see above).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Double post, but this one has pictures. Western Diamondback, I do believe.

This guy/gal wasn't too big - about 2 1/2 feet or so. Only rattled when my freaked-out friend walked up behind it.

El Paso County, TX by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I like that when it decided to leave the road, it was raised up like "okay, I'm going this way, but I'm still a badass and you should be afraid of me." Don't worry sir, I'm plenty afraid.

This one's a crosspost from Critterquest