Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last of my Calgary Zoo animal pictures.
Eurasian Wild Boars 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Eurasian Wild Boars 6 by Execudork, on Flickr
Eurasian Wild Boars 7 by Execudork, on Flickr
Red Panda 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Red Panda 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

e: how can anyone possibly get tired of photos of foxes.

When the little bastards steal your boots you can get pretty tired of them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I've slowly been working through a few more safari photos.

Awesome fox photos. Too bad you don't have a shot of them taking off with your boots.

1. Holy GRAP you're posting some great stuff. Scrolling down I was all "Kitty!" followed immediately by :aaa:

2. The thief of my boots is still unconfirmed. We at first thought it was a Polar Bear, but recent conversations with other Arctic researchers has suggested a family of Arctic Foxes might have been raised in my boots :3:
Whatever took my boots - and 3 pairs of my companions' boots - had about 8 hours to do so while we were up on top of The Dome. A single fox, or a pair working together, could have transported the boots one-at-a-time to some hidey-hole, there to shelter their kits. That's the current working hypothesis, anyways.

Wet feet still suck, though.

EDIT: I don't remember if I've posted this picture from last summer before. Here's a shot of an Arctic Fox stealing a cookie.
Visits from a fox 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 3, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Some more big cats from Kenya

Goddam. Never, ever stop. Go on another trip, as soon as you can.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ethics question for the thread: could you finish off a mortally wounded animal? Warning: following images may be disturbing.

On my last Sunday Drive I saw several road-killed garter snakes, not unusual given the time of year and the weather we've been having.

Road-Kill Snake by Execudork, on Flickr

But one was clearly moving as I drove over it, straddled between the wheels of my car; it was in the middle of the northbound drive lane of Highway 2, I'm certain my wheels did not touch it.

I stopped about 100m down the road then walked back to check on it. My plan was if it's alive I'd move it off the road. I shot the above photo walking along the road. There were about a billion large grasshoppers around, many squished on the road but plenty more hopping around.

When I got to the snake that had been moving, I found it severely injured but still very much alive.
Road Almost-Kill Snake 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Road Almost-Kill Snake 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Road Almost-Kill Snake 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

I considered ways to end this animal's pain, but I don't know enough about snakes to know FOR SURE that this individual was doomed to a few more hours on that road before expiring from dehydration / exposure / opportunistic predator (there are plenty of coyotes, foxes, skunks, and racoons in that part of the province, not to mention raptors and corvids galore). In the end I walked away, under the assumption that either it'll get itself off the road or somebody will squish it before long. It seemed stuck, but moved its tail so it wasn't paralyzed beyond the injury site.

What would you have done?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fart Amplifier posted:

Some curious young deer

DSC_3043.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_3044.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

I keep scrolling up and down over these two pictures and saying "BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm not sure what this crow stole, but it sure upset the magpies

Getaway chase by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr
As a general rule, magpies have a huge hate-on for other corvids. I've seen individual magpies fly screaming in on a crow just minding his own business at top speed and minimum altitude. One glimpse of a crow and the magpies around here go nuts, calling, flying around, jumping, etc.

Great picture, by the way.

EDIT: A muskrat I saw a couple of weeks ago.
SD 139 94 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 139 95 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 4, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

William T. Hornaday posted:

No no no no no no no.

Is it the HDR-esque processing on the photo, or the identification as a deer (cervid), or the pun that you object to?

To me, it's an OK shot, but looks suspiciously over-processed. Halo effect, especially on the antlers, is a bit off-putting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

This thread is absolutely amazing. I live in a place with pretty boring (or horribly inaccessible) wildlife so it's like a window into the real world.

"Wild"life:

You live in New Zealand. I refuse to believe you don't have access to wildlife that would make the average North American or European photographer jump up and down and clap their hands like an overhyped child.

Shoot the random birds that infest your neighbour's back yard, the rest of us will get all weirdly excited.

And I like your cow shot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Gulls and sparrows - European House Sparrows aside - are like challenge mode for birders. Identifying most gulls and most (North American native) sparrows to species ranges from "welp, that's the only one with a big black spot there" to "gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you you goddam 3-way hybrid juvenile from hell!". Plus, regional variation piles up over large biogeographical distances, and NZ is on the other side of the Wallace Line. That puts you about 4 or 5 biogeographical provinces away from Europe, or 6 or 7 from North America - which means EVERYTHING is different. Even (especially) the Gulls and Sparrows.

With the notable exception of Arctic Terns, those guys literally go everywhere.

EDIT: I like House Sparrows, they have really interesting behaviours and they're so used to humans you can actually watch them do the crazy stuff they do.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Churchill is like cheating for polar bear pictures. Presumably you have some that weren't ruined by a big stupid watermark? Nobody's gonna steal your photos, dude, every pro wildlife photog has been to Churchill already. The internet is flooded with polar-bears-in-Churchill pictures.

EDIT:
This is goddam amazing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Actually, you seem to be doing quite well. I don't think those photos are lovely! That vulture shot is pretty good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
In November of 2013 I went to a conference in Tampa, and spent some time in the vicinity of the Everglades.
Alligator!
Off the Beaten Path in Big Cypress 13 by Execudork, on Flickr

and while we saw no cougars, we did find this print. I'm pretty convinced this is a cougar print.
Off the Beaten Path in Big Cypress 16 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The "no rats" thing in Alberta is hilarious.

Deer really are just big vegetarian rats, but the thing about their size is they can kill you if you hit one with your car - and on a motorcycle they're basically walking death monsters if you're riding at night. Pretty, though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

My hunting dog (English pointer) loving frolicks with them instead of chasing them off.
:3: We're going to need to see some pictures of this. Video, too. :3:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\ Thanks!

Baby Bison at the small end of the large enclosure at Buffalo Pound Provincial Park, Saskatchewan
SD 140 48 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 140 49 by Execudork, on Flickr

Apologies for the fence. It was there to protect me, from guys like this:
SD 140 47 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Absolutely correct. There are signs around in the park that basically make the same point - the bison get used to the fences and don't challenge them - but please don't provoke the animals, sometimes they do lose their tempers. The fences are at least as much about keeping people out of the bisons' area, other, bigger signs state "STAY OUT! BISON ARE COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE!". I don't know how effective the signs are but the fences are considerably larger than the privately-owned fences in surrounding agricultural areas that most Saskatcheweeners get used to climbing over pretty quickly.

The first time a young bison pushes on a fence, it holds and it's not particularly comfortable (the fences are not electric). They learn that there's no point to it, and don't bother anymore. Cattle and barbed-wire fences work the same way - a bull could easily annihilate any fence, or jump over something only 4 feet tall. But they've had fences around them since they were born and they don't push it. I've seen a calf that found a way through a gap in a fence trying to get back in to mom, with mom following the calf on her side of the fence. She weighs something like 1000 pounds but she didn't even touch the fence.

I gather that every once in a while an adult falls asleep next to the fence and rolls into it or stumbled when they stand up, accidentally knocking out a section. Sometimes they walk through the gap, sometimes they don't. Large herbivore psychology is almost entirely made of lazy habits acquired when very young.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TonySnow posted:

They really are excited, all they want to do is pull that sled.
Very true. I was volunteering at a local dogsled race when I was about 16 and I saw a single dog get away from the team and just go tearing down the start of the track. A 250+ pound man on the track grabbed the ~50 pound dog's harness as it went by, and it hardly slowed at all - it just yanked him right off his feet and dragged him down the course. Those dogs can pull.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Animals at the Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg, from about a month ago.
Bison 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Bison 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Moose 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Caribou 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Ratcicle by Execudork, on Flickr
Arctic Fox by Execudork, on Flickr
Musk Ox Butts 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
:butt:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't worry about the gear too much. You've clearly got some skills and are in a good place to take advantage of some opportunities. More 'gator pics, please!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
On Sunday evening I ended up at Thunder Lake provincial park, Alberta - well named, I saw lightning over the far shore - and I set up on some Red-necked Grebes with my 500mm. I was fiddling with the lens, some of the set-screws holding the aperture ring on were a little loose - when I heard a splash. No big deal, I thought, there are plenty of fish here.

Then I saw the antlers and I think I said something like "holy gently caress a moose!". He swam out of the water - I wasn't looking that direction, he might have swum across the lake, or just around the corner - and stood in water up to his belly for about 3 minutes, just watching me. Eventually he decided I wasn't as threatening as he was hungry, and he moved closer to shore and ate a few water plants. I have all of this on a single 8-minute-long video that I don't have the ability to edit effectively at the moment.

My desktop computer with video-editing software on it is sitting in my friend's basement 4000km away, so this is just the last little scrap of video I shot of this guy, unedited except for a trial for my own personal edification of youtube's stabilization algorithm. I'm most impressed by the fact my K-5's built-in internal microphone was able to pick up his splashing through the shallows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFVaE9afUCg

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I know less than nothing about South African parks, but as long as you're not inside the minimum focus distance, there's no such thing as "too close" for wildlife photos. Detail shots of an eye, or a leg, or horns or teeth or whatever are certainly worth taking.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
When I visited Tasmania, I had more than one mutually-amazed conversation. Here in Canada, bears are to be watched out for, moose will kill you (by standing on the highway at night and landing as 3/4 tonne of meat through your windscreen at 80 km/h), and everything else is only ever seen as a tail, rapidly retreating. There are Bison and a few other legitimately dangerous creatures around some parts of the country, but relatively few places where people get mangled by anything other than aggressive deer.

In Tassie, which is basically Australia-Lite in terms of murdercritters, the largest native land animal is an overgrown wallaby weighing in at around 75kg (on a day she's feeling fat & sassy). There are three species of snakes, all venomous, and two species of spiders capable of inflicting real harm on a human (redback and some variety of Big Scary Funnelweb that only lives in the deep dark forest, rather than your kitchen like the Sydney Funnelweb). So the wildlife situation in each country is opposite: in Canada, watch out for the brute-force blunt-trauma impacts (and big sharp nasty claws & teeth), in Tassie it's don't stick your hand into the woodpile.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I was going to say it's alright not all of it will kill you but yeah nah everything here will either attack you or is a big ball of spikes or something.

Kangaroos can be bribed into coming up tp you with bread but thats about it.
BTW, those big balls of spikes are adorable :3:

(probably a repost, from a few years ago)
SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 88 by Martin Brummell, on FlickrSD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 84 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hiking to Frenchs Farm 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The wombats were hilarious, when they realized we were there their default response was FREEZE! My GF fell while we were hiking and during the ~5 minutes it took us to work out her knee was bruised but not badly damaged there was a wombat about 3 metres away, frozen with one front paw raised, mid-step, and with a stupid look on its face of "OH poo poo I THINK THEY SAW ME!"

(I promise not to spam this thread with reposts from my Australia trip from more than 2 years ago).

(OK, 1 more, because you gave me that look)
Hiking to Frenchs Farm 27 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: loving GORGEOUS PHOTOS of snakes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
And those clouds changed forever seconds after the picture was taken.

Nothing is forever.
And not everything gets to be delicious.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A curious Caribou near Fort McMurray last weekend. Given what's changed there this week, I hope he's moved on to less-flaming pastures.
Saline April 2016 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Saline April 2016 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

WHAT
THE
gently caress
Squirrels are rats with furry tails. No mammal is truly vegetarian (mother's milk pedantry aside), anything furry will happily have blood running down its face given the opportunity. Chipmunks apparently are important predators of Warblers, and high-grade by eating the brains first when they raid a nest with hatchlings. Cute and Fuzzy is highly compatible with Bloodthirsty.

The same goes for most birds - they're just the descendents of dinosaurs too hard-core to be killed by something as trifling as a world-shaking comet impact.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ika posted:

I'm talking about the pair of sparrows charging the lioness.
European House Sparrows, at least those I see in Canada, seem to be the species most self-aware of its own ecological strategy. They're firmly on the "r" side of the r-K spectrum, and act like they know it. That peanut inside the predator strike cone of that big, bored cat is the difference between 6 fledglings this year or 7, not the difference between life and death. If you die, at least die a good death and "splattered by one smack of a lion's paw" is pretty high on the list of Good Deaths for Sparrows.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Red Squirrel
Cottage 2015 50 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Grey Squirrel
Cottage 2015 76 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Winter colembolan
Cottage 2015 84 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is a very, very good picture. More of us should go for this kind of unusual composition - way in close, obvious shadows from a fence (did you stick your lens against the fence, trying to squeeze the wires to the edges? I've done that, sometimes it works).

Awesome.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cythereal posted:

Chipmunk? - Grand Tetons National Park

This little guy was sitting on a prominent rock at a beautiful scenic overlook - very tame, probably used to being fed by people stopping at the overlook. I instead took a photo of this very cooperative subject.
This is probably a Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel. Much like yours, my GF and I met one on top of a mountain in Jasper NP a couple of years ago; it was fat and sassy and clearly used to hand-outs. We thought it was a chipmunk, too, but our guide book pointed out that very common mistake. Some of the photos that come up through a GIS are hilarious - obese squirrels galore.

You have some great pictures there, which ones are yours and which are your dad's? They're all pretty good, I'm just curious. I'm the only half-way serious photographer in my family.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 18, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I said this out loud when I saw your picture, before I scrolled down far enough to see the name.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Bisons, like many mammals, can have really black fur. And snow is basically the definition of white, it reflects visible light nearly perfectly with respect to the incoming spectrum of light. So having a 100% white area AND a 100% black area in the same photo (of bison on snow on a sunny day) is something I would consider quite good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

It’s clear to me now: Before I can zoom with my feet, I must first zoom...with my heart.

Buster approves of your choice to donate your organs at the (impending) time of your death. He would appreciate it if you could deposit your heart (and the rest of your viscera) into a convenient receptacle, such as a fuel barrel or simply the inside of his mouth.
Buster 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Road Turtle by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Eastern Long-necked Turtle we maybe-too-late rescued from a highway in NSW, Australia. We drove past it, then came back to check it out. I think it had been hit by a car because there was blood on the road next to it, but the leg that was sticking out withdrew in a life-like way when I started pushing it off the road with my foot. My fiancee picked it up for the picture and there was blood but no obvious breaks in the shell underneath. Hopefully it's OK.

This is also my first photo edited with RawTherapee, and I'm gonna go talk about that in the post-pro thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Kananaskis Grizzly by xzzy77, on Flickr

I now have way more respect for wildlife dudes, I took this at 600mm on a crop sensor and still felt like I was too close to the bear (maybe 100 yards? not all sure). I still had to crop massively (original is 6000x4000, crop is 2328x1863). So those folks that can get those ridiculous up close face shots are loving bonkers. When I got home I started looking in to 2x extenders.

Also a moose.

Kananaskis Moose by xzzy77, on Flickr

Am curious if anyone can nitpick any funny business with colors on this one. It was taken in the blue hour and I tried to warm it up, and can't decide if I hosed up so more eyes might help.

Nice bear pic. Close up shots are, I assume, a mixture of fieldcraft (getting close with an acceptable level of risk), luck, and careful cropping. Plus a great deal of time spent editing.

The moose picture looks good to me. If you're feeling it's too blue, blame the sedges - Carex aquatilis is slightly blue-green; that's how I was taught to ID it when doing veg surveys in restored wetlands. But the colour of the moose's fur looks right.