Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

DJExile and I are great wildlife photographers :v:

We are the best bad photographers :downs::respek::downs:

I can't believe we ran into those deer at the last second. God you got a good angle on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

krackmonkey posted:

I love how all of your animals look like they're about one wrongly timed flinch short of tearing you to pieces.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing. Everything's giving him the stink-eye.

E: Beast, how far were you from those bears?
Far enough, if you're here to post them, I suppose :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrOpus posted:

All I really have is photos of deer. It's Wisconsin. Birds and deer only.

Bubolz Deer by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

This is great, the expression is just killing me :laugh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drewski posted:

Cheetah2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I went ahead and bought a platinum membership to the place for $125. Free access to everything, special invite-only events, and they're also going to have photo blinds for cheetah runs. They load up a dummy animal with meatballs and send it on a zipline at 60mph for the cheetahs to chase.

This picture is awesome and that cheetah run sounds cool as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to be in San Diego on a work conference later this month and it looks like I'll have at least one free day to go see the SD Zoo. From what I've heard here and from others, it's supposed to be spectacular. Can't wait. :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

It's expensive, but it's pretty good.

You know, I didn't even think much about this and just looked it up. Holy loving :stare: you aren't kidding.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

IMG_0100 by The original David L, on Flickr

This is great. How low to the water were you?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you have the chance to go to the San Diego Zoo, you'd be full-bore insane to turn it down. What a great goddamn place. I'll have some shots up tonight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, my 1.4x is great but it does really slow down focus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hey I know that zoo!

And yeah, you guys weren't lying. It's loving beautiful and it's a shame I only got 3 hours there. I could easily have killed a whole day.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Some kind of zebra horse tapir thing. by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Hornady, I think you said you work at/with a zoo of some sort. What in blue hell is this thing? I do not remember seeing a sign for it and it's like 4 different things mashed into one. All I remember is I think it was near an African exhibit.

I would have hung out in those aviaries alone for hours. Absolutely beautiful birds in there.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 4, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well poo poo. I have learned something neat today. :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Faltion posted:

Not a rock by faltion, on Flickr

This took me a second, I was looking at the turtles on the left, then "wait what's he walking on-Oh holy poo poo"

That's awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I thought this picture turned out pretty well until I looked at some of the other stuff in this thread :negative:

Candid Horse by iantuten, on Flickr

This is a good shot but I'd absolutely crop out the... leaves, or whatever those are on the left.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

Black-backed jackal.

Say that five times fast :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is fantastic

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm getting 10 days in March between Tanzania and Kenya. Scrolling through this thread has basically cranked the hell out of my excitement.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That newt is cool and good

BRW40744 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30232 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This seems as good a place as any to dump a bunch of poo poo I learned spending a week on safari in Tanzania between Arusha, Tarangiere National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengeti National Park. Here's some dumb gay advice from a bad photographer. Take it or leave it.

BODIES - If you have two, take two. If you have one, either buy or rent another. Partly because you really don't want to have your only body fail you while you're getting some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, partly also because it's far easier to switch between two bodies that have a really long lens, and a relatively shorter zoom lens. Being dust/water sealed may as well be a requirement, same with stabilization.

LENSES - Boy I hope you've got reach. My main body (with a 2x crop) had a 300mm f/4 with a 1.4x teleconverter attached and this accounted for a good 85% of my shots. Animals like water buffalo, zebras and impalas don't mind hanging out near the roadways, but most of the predators are going to be up in trees or off at a distance and you'll need all the reach you can get. There are also some absolutely gorgeous birds that are relatively small (think finch/weaver sized) and even if they're close, they're very small and having plenty of reach to fill the frame will be really helpful.

My second body had a 40-150mm f/2.8 attached for relatively closer encounters, and being able to swap back and forth between the two quickly is a godsend. Plus it's been the rainy season out here and I'd rather not be swapping lenses even if I'm in a vehicle the whole time. East Africa is extremely humid as well, so all the fewer chances for water to invade, the better.

I did also keep a 25mm f/1.2 prime on hand if anything struck my fancy on the wider end, but I can think of maybe 10-12 pictures I ever used it for. That said, if you love landscape photos, I'd absolutely take something wide. The Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti lend themselves really well to wide, sweeping landscape shots.

BAG - I'd 100% recommend a shoulder/messenger bag over a backpack because you're going to spend 90% of your time with the bag in front of you in the vehicle, and having an open top bag to swap between bodies is far easier than it would be with most backpacks.

MEMORY - This is obviously going to depend on your specific body, but mine has 2 card slots and I set up to record to each simultaneously. Top card slot had really fast 32 or 64GB cards, bottom on each had a 256GB that would take any video recording and basically functioned as backup #1. Backup #2 was an external SSD that I copied the day's shots from the big card onto.

OTHER poo poo - Other things in the bag included a lens pen, rocket blower, plenty of extra batteries and cards, ear buds, and a USB battery for my cell phone. I'd also recommend some DEET, sunblock, painkillers, and some pepto bismol or other nausea medication as you are basically never on paved roads, and the dirt roads are extremely bumpy and can toss you around a bit. Having some cheap earbuds or headphones to help kill some of the driving (well, riding) time with some music isn't a bad idea either.

BACKUP ROUTINE - I have a Samsung Chromebook Plus that basically works as a conduit between a card reader and SSD. Both being USB-C means dumping card contents to the SSD runs relatively quickly. I took the chromebook over my main laptop because it's a ton lighter (there can be some very tight baggage restrictions I'll talk about later), and far more expendable than my Surface Book. Every night I'd dump the big card's shots from the day onto the SSD, then format the smaller cards. Online backup basically isn't going to happen. Internet access, if you can even get it at all, is largely satellite based and very slow. Some camps will also limit the bandwidth you can use to as little as 20MB per day.

LUGGAGE/CLOTHING - If your travel is going to include flying on smaller aircraft from location to location, you're going to be limited to about 35lbs (16 kg) of baggage per person grand total. This includes your camera gear, so plan accordingly. I took 3 pairs of hiking pants, and 3 of those button-up hiking/fishing shirts, along with sweat-wicking underwear and a couple under shirts. Camp suds are relatively cheap and let you do laundry in a sink easily. Those hiking shirts and pants dry out really fast so you can easily hang things up overnight and be good to go in the morning. I'd recommend a soft pair of hiking shoes or cross-trainers. you don't need anything too nuts since you're largely just in the vehicle, but some light/waterproof shoes can be helpful. A packable wide brimmed hat looks goofy but is really nice to help keep the sun off your face and neck.

If your air travel is just on major carriers, then you just have to deal with their likely less restrictive baggage rules.

GUIDE/DRIVER - Safaris are definitely not cheap, but if you're going to splurge anywhere on your trip, splurge here. Having a good guide is an absolute godsend and can make life a lot easier for you. They will know the park roads like the back of their hands and are usually in pretty constant radio contact with others about various game in the parks, so if you are particular about wanting to see and photograph specific animals, they'll know where to head. The vehicle of choice out here is a Toyota Landcruiser that usually has both USB and (usually) UK standard plugs to help you keep things charged.

STABILIZATION - I was worried about leaving my monopod at home but as luck would have it I never really found myself wanting it. Mostly because the interior of a Toyota Landcruiser doesn't allow for the space anyway, and you can rest your elbows on the window frame or roof pretty easily. I have seen other people recommend beanbags and the like as well, but didn't see any of those in use, so YMMV.

Anyway that's my dumb advice. I'll get some more photos up when I can.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Things seem way too chill for a bear cub to be hanging around :stare: Was mom nearby?

BRW20511 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20934 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

P3120025 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

My name is DJExile and animals with derpfaces is my anti-drug

BRW20705 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20858 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BRW41144 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Instructions unclear, have begun gnawing on babby

BRW41151 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW40713 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW40736 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Good info, thanks. I'm making my first trip to Africa next month.

You're welcome! :cheers: where you headed?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

10 days each in Mozambique and Madagascar :dance:

That's awesome, looking forward to seeing your shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell yeah both of these rule