Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Am I allowed to post zoo photos, or do they have to be 'natural'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
This is a baboon.

Taken at a zoo.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

It's expensive, but it's pretty good.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Post it.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

eXpired posted:

Went to Costa Rica a few months ago. Found a Titi monkey:

CostaRica_120125_0572 by justinlindh, on Flickr

Squirrel Monkey. :eng101:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Capuchin monkey.

(Not an ape :science:)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

n0n0 posted:

And here's a Leopard 6 feet from my face. No cage. Kind of scary in retrospect, since he was looking right at me.

San Diego Zoo, March 2012-023.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Cheetah. If it was a leopard, you and everyone around you would probably be dead (or wish you were.) Cheetahs are fairly docile (yay, genetic bottlenecks!) and a lot of institutions have some degree of free contact with them.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

It's an okapi. Closest living relative of the giraffe.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

drat. It was a [corrugated concrete] wall in the background, and I was hoping that it wasn't noticeable. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, I suppose.

EDIT: All fixed.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 4, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

neckbeard posted:

William T. Hornaday, what exactly is that creature?
Which one? I've posted a cotton-top tamarin, Francois langur, and snow leopard.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

I really enjoy your photos. I would love to have the access to animals that you have.

You can! all the photos I've shared here were taken from the public spaces of the various zoos.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

What are you shooting with? The fences here prevent shooting a lot of the animals. :bang:

The gear I usually bring to the zoo is a 7D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 580EX II, and 12 mm extension tube.

I pretty much won't even bother trying to take photos at 90% of zoo exhibits. I'll walk up, look at it, say to myself "There's no loving way that I can possibly get a good photo out of this," and just move along to the next one. Maybe the lighting is too poor, the background sucks, the lighting is too harsh and contrasty, the vantage point is too high or low (i.e., not at eye level,) the animals are too far away, the mesh/glass/fence is impossible to cleanly shoot through, and so on; if any of these are the case and can't be overcome in some way (I've accumulated quite the sack of tricks,) I won't even bother. So be aware, the photos I share here typically go through a pretty thorough vetting process before I even think about picking up my camera to take them.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

That's exactly how it went with me. Plus having the girlfriend and 2 kids along.

Oh man, I never let anyone come with me to the zoo. And I can barely stand being around all of the other people's children there, let alone being tethered to a couple of them all day. Props to you.

Elendil004 posted:

Please share your tricks!

I may try and write something up some day.

Anyways, here's a tortoise.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Black-backed jackal.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Allen's Swamp Monkey

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Jellyfish by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 3, 2013

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

Hey man, where did the rest of your wicked zoo shots go? I was looking for them the other day and it looks like your old account isn't active anymore?

Smugmug subscription expired and I didn't feel like renewing. Eventually going to load everything onto Flickr.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Lion by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Well, this one was in a zoo, but your point still stands about certain populations of lions doing it in the wild.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Axolotl by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 23, 2013

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Amur Leopard by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Western Lowland Gorilla by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

poo poo, I was desperately hoping to figure out what the hell I'm doing before someone asked me that.

I'll definitely do something in the future. But right now, my processing 'technique' is more or less an hour of aimless trial and error. "What's this setting do? Nope. How about this one? Whoa, that's weird. Maybe this one? Not that either." and so on. It involves a fair amount of drinking as well.

But yeah, I'll definitely keep looking for an opportunity to do one without embarrassing myself.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

No kidding. Your turn to post a tutorial.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912&pagenumber=178&perpage=20#post413055560

:toot:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

San Diego Zoo Safari Park is a bit of a different breed when it comes to American zoos; a lot of it is very large, open-range enclosures. I would absolutely bring the TC.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

White-Faced Saki by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Fun fact, this is how gerenuks feed. They don't eat grass at all and their diet consists almost entirely of shoots and leaves of trees and bushes, and they stand up on their hind legs to do so.
And giraffe lips and tongues are both prehensile, the latter of which can be up to two feet long.

And to contribute something other than random factoids..

Lion by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Western Bearded Anole by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Coquere'ls Sifaka by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Allen's Swamp Monkey by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Yellow-Banded Poison Dart Frog by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Good lord, Flickr loves to crush blacks.

Black And White Colobus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 7, 2013

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Deer by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Gerenuk by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Golden Lion Tamarin by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Pygmy Marmoset by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

They're good. I like 'em. Last one is the best.

Wish the second hoof was in the frame on the zebra photo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Interesting, I've never heard those guys referred to as 'silverlight' before.