Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Disclaimer: never seen a deer.

:stare:

Where you from, son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

They taste good, too. Presumably better than an actual rat.

I don't know, I've had woodrat and it wasn't bad...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cow Elk Alone 1926 on Flickr

This is close to a 100% crop from a Tamron 150-600 (with some work in post as well).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a snaggletooth smile!

Mule deer.
Red Canyon Mulies 2015 1947 on Flickr

Red Canyon Mule w redrocks 1948 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pronghorn sage-grouse forehead kiss 2003 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Back from Wyoming. On the way back we drove through Jackson and a bit of Teton NP. Between Dubois and Jackson we saw 6 species of (wild) ungulates. Light was crap but I'm never going to be disappointed in seeing this big wildlife.

Dubois Buck growing out 2068 on Flickr

Ewe herd me? on Flickr

Dubois Rams kinda scenic 2067 on Flickr

Bison in front of some hills 2071 on Flickr

Teton Bison 2072 on Flickr

Teton Moose 2070 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

Would like some suggestions on my first picture. Why do all my bird shots look so crappy and grainy like this? It was taken with a Sony A55 and Tamron 70-300 lens. Shot at f/18, ISO 200, 1/25", 300mm, -0.3EV.
ColombiaFlickr (11 of 16) by
Travis Bumgarner, on Flickr

The big problem is the 1/25- Assuming you were hand-holding this is really challenging for 300mm, even with IS. The rough rule of thumb is get your shutter speed > 1/focal length, so aim for at least 1/250. You can do this by upping the ISO a bit- even cameras that are a few years old should be able to push the ISO to 1/800 or so without looking total rear end. Also, you should widen your aperture at least a couple of stops- unless you are shooting a landscape where you want absolutely everything to be in focus, you'll want to go as wide as your lens can handle before looking crummy. Not sure about your Tamron (is this a newer one or an older one?), but maybe F9 or so will help provide some isolation of your subject while maybe blurring the background a bit, and give you a few more stops yo can throw into shutter speed.

e: one more thing- unless you particularly care about the detail of of the background, you might overexpose rather than underexpose to get the exposure a little closer to what you want. This is more creative choice- do you want more of a silhouette or a "properly" exposed subject with a much brighter background? This photo has a lot of dynamic range making it pretty hard to pull off a photo without something either too dark or too light.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 2, 2015

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's surprisingly hard to be restrained when you see other people getting closer.

(shot at 8mm)
Yellowstone2012 256 on Flickr

I've only been to Yellowstone in early/mid May. There are still a lot of people but not as bad as in the summer and most of the wildlife is low down in the valleys. Check the Yellowstone park website to see when the majority of the gates will be open.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Red Canyon mulies-1367 on Flickr

Red Canyon mulies-1374 on Flickr

CHG male sage grouse vocal sacs-1293 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wyoming...

Young mule deer Dubois-3709 on Flickr

Ram face Dubois-3839 on Flickr

Rams Dubois-3846 on Flickr

Ridge rams Dubois-4506 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I didn't do much- the sheep were high up a ridge with some falling snow in between. Definitely one of my favorites from the day.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yellowstone over the weekend. Wildlife was amazing, photography was good but not my best visit. One problem was the lighting. Other problem was that I went with two cameras- 6D + 70-300L and for the reach, 60D + Tamron 150-600 (which I switched to my 8-16mm when checking out the geysers). I've not really used the Tamron on my older body before, and it doesn't seem to do as well as it does on the 6D- not just AF-wise but resolution also. I'll stop whining because it was Yellowstone...

Yellowstone Coyote-6838 on Flickr

Bear and cub-6350 on Flickr

Black Bear cubs-6976 on Flickr

Yellowstone Red Fox-7362 on Flickr

Bighorn-6394 on Flickr

Lamar Bison-7244 on Flickr

Bison Calf and mom-6588 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe this wasn't already a law. Parks Canada bans use of telemetry gear by photographers.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In the spring at least, Lamar Valley (and just west of Lamar) are the places to see wolves. They are most likely going to be way far away on the far side of a valley, so look for people with spotting scopes- there can be some semi-official volunteer wolf-spotters with radios who keep an eye on known packs. In the middle of the day the wolves are probably going to be sleeping in the shade and really hard to see.

e: This was my best wolf shot on my last trip- took a half hour for one of them to stand up.

Distant Wolf-6508 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 6, 2016

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\
super cute!

Some kind of anole in New Orleans

Nola Cemetary Anole-3295 on Flickr

Nola Cemetary Anole-3293 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think Año Nuevo SP north of Santa Cruz might be the biggest one, although at least some of the time it is only accessible on a guided tour.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

Here are some elephant seals from Año Nuevo State Park in California.

I'm heading there on Saturday, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to lug out to the beach. I don't think a 150-600 will be overkill, but I'm debating whether a tripod is worth it since I'm sure it will be mid-day-ish when I'm out there and I won't be as hurting for light/stops. Also not sure what I should stick on my old body- a smaller tele zoom, wide angle, or ultrawide. Basically I'm daydreaming about not being at work right now. go about your business everyone.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the tripod might be unnecessary. Guided tours end on Friday, so Saturday should be more go-at-your-own pace. I just hope there are a few adults left on the beach.

e: Thanks for the albums. I've been there before, but not for a while, and I might be misremembering how far of a hike it actually is to get out there.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 28, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

The hike is pretty short and most of the hike is on some really nice paths. I didn't realize that docent season is over. I might have to head out there this weekend as well.

:siren:GOONMEET:siren: I'll be the guy taking bad pictures with the wife who was ready to leave an hour ago.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This photo was made even better by at first only seeing the kind of spooky top quarter with the out of focus branch, then scrolling down for super cuteness reveal.

@Beast- there are a few places along the coast, but this is probably the biggest. It is between Santa Cruz and Half-moon Bay... And I can only imagine trying to photograph with a kid. At least a wife is less likely to run off a cliff or crawl around in a bunch of poison oak.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Made it to Año Nuevo today. The weather was great, but the light was not awesome. Next time I'll try to get there as soon as they open. We only saw one really big male left (and the docents said it was unusual to still have one at this time of year).

A few pics.

Elephant Seals-0447 on Flickr

Elephant Seal big male square-0516 on Flickr

Elephant Seal triangle square-0553 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Have a squirrel
Paige Meadows Squirrel-2506 on Flickr

and a heavily-cropped coyote
Paige Meadows Coyote-2580 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally saw the coyotes in my local park.

Wildcat Canyon coyotes-3672 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon Coyote-3622 on Flickr

Bonus red-tailed hawk
Wildcat Canyon RTHA Hunting Series-3505 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Handheld 1/50 sec, 600mm. Go Tamron! I might return to this one someday and try to clone out some branches or the junk in the lower right.

5880 That Doe Tho-4384 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon Coyote-5171 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon Coyote-5121 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon Coyote-5063 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't know if I've gotten a making GBS threads bird yet, but...

A little privacy please-5767 on Flickr

non poop pics
Three Amigos-5833 on Flickr

Coyote Onlooker-5824 on Flickr

Coyote Wildcat Canyon-5763 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Love the gibbon!

More from my local park... Unfortunately the coyote in the first shot doesn't look great- possibly ate some rat poison or something. Still can get around but definitely not as pretty or spry as the other ones I've been seeing.

Wildcat Canyon Mangey pup with a view-6440 on Flickr

Wildcat Coyote-6588 on Flickr

Wildcat Gopher-5901 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 2, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mueller's kinda busy putting some other folks behind bars right now :getin:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice! My local doggos put on a good show this morning too. Among the several sightings, this guy hunted his way down a big open hillside towards me. Wish he was a little closer, but i'm psyched he was actually facing me and I didn't totally flub it.

I believe I can fly on Flickr

e:
Wildcat Coyote crosses road-8423 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 30, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cool leezard! I like the "lizard eye view" of the top one. STEP OFF, MY THROAT IS BLUE

I had a meeting near Pt. Reyes yesterday, so I took the afternoon to check out the north end. I almost always have gone to the lighthouse end to the south, so the elk refuge was pretty eye opening. These guys were just outside the refuge.

Two Bull Elk in distance-9528 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Golden Gate Coyote-0191 on Flickr

Wildcat Running Coyote-0163 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Out in my local park in the evening for a change. Doggos didn't come out until after sunset.

Dusk Coyote B&W-0637 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon coyote silhouette-1949 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon coyote silhouette-1954 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Got a lot of tiger cub pictures today. Here are some of my favorites:

I particularly like these two.

Tilden Deer hasta luego-3364 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Porcupines are my "nemesis mammal" (like a nemesis bird- something by all rights you should have seen but for some reason haven't). The only one I've seen was in a tree next to the road in Yellowstone and I just got a quick look driving by at 25mph. It's an awesome shot. The moose is really nice too, although you might play with cropping a tiny bit to get rid of some of the snow on the right side of the frame?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You are all set for the March contest.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Newt-4558 on Flickr

Wildcat Newt on the go-4569 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Nice, just realized the post before that probably wasn't zoo

Maybe of interest here- I just put up my Tamron 150-600 gen 1 (Canon) in Buy/Sell.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lovely lek pic

Wildcat Dung Flies-1067 on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer