Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dunno if I like any of the processing on these. I really need a new monitor, can't tell if these colors look alright at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Holy gently caress. That gorilla owns.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

and an inquisitive hare

Working on Dome 86 by Execudork, on Flickr

Both taken with my ancient Takumar 500mm f/4.5; the hare hand-held. I got some reactions when I dove into my tent and came out 10 seconds later waving that thing around - the hare went right through our campsite.

Owns. Is that one of those gigantic, bash someone's head in and keep shooting lenses?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks!

On Pentax DSLRs, when you mount a manual-focus lens then turn the camera on with the shake reduction active, it asks you what focal length it should use for shake reduction. It's a little side-scrolling menu you go through; when I took those shots I just slapped the monster onto the camera (really, more like slapped the camera onto the monster - it weighs about 8 pounds), jumped out of my tent, and started frantically focusing and shooting. I don't even know what aperture it was at - the lens is old enough it doesn't have an automatic aperture, you can watch the depth of field increase as you twist the big ring.

500mm f-4.5 (2 of 2) by Execudork, on Flickr

Later, I was carrying that lens/camera in one hand and a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun (Remington 870) in the other - and the camera felt like the better tool for intimidating polar bears. That day, I fired both in the general direction of a bear - but only the gun was loaded! :suicide: (forgot I'd taken out the memory card to move photos onto my computer when the bear showed up and everybody hit the panic button)

Holy balls that's a lens. I want one now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I got mine for about $500 + shipping (shipping was about $60 from Minnesota to Saskatchewan, the box was about 2 1/2 feet long), it's m42 mount and the identical lens is available in K-mount; I've seen that lens for about $1000 on eBay. From the picture Mr. Despair posted (and rumours on-line) I gather you can get m42->Canon EOS adaptors. I don't know if those will let you focus to infinity but "not quite infinity" on that lens is out around 500 feet according to the scale focus marks. Certainly it's the cheapest way I know to get reach at non-stupid apertures. The other people I was with would stop pointing their cameras at the wildlife and instead take pictures of me when I pulled it out. I should be able to get some of those photos.

I kinda wanna toss it on my ME super to just have the most ridiculous setup ever. If I didn't already have a 100-400, that would definitely be intriguing.