Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Congratulations on capturing the rare antlered squirrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no bad time to go to Alaska, it's amazing both winter and summer.

Biggest downside to summer is the epic hordes of mosquitoes.. but the weather and scenery make up for it. Oh, and expensive hotels that are stinky pieces of poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HeyEng posted:

Lightroom tells me it was shot at 70mm. The time I ran up on a mama brown bear and her two cubs was frightening. They were about 30 yards away. That was close enough for me.

Two close really, as mama would catch up to you and rip your head off before you finished turning around to run for the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That water is hypnotic.. it almost looks computer generated.

Is it from a polarizer?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man that rabbit had one lovely day.

Hopefully you don't get to watch what happens to your corpse after you die.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drewski posted:

Also, autofocus speed is fairly significantly reduced.

Also, with the 2x, only the center AF point is useable.

B&H has decent compatibility charts for the various extenders, poke around at them before picking one to rent (the 1.4x's are much more forgiving).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The latest episode of Frozen Planet was a "behind the scenes" look at wildlife photography too, if anyone is interested in a little bit of detail on how those guys got their shots. Granted most of their work was video, but it's still photography.

Those guys are truly insane. I grew up in Alaska so I generally know how do deal with freezing weather, but they took it to another level doing poo poo that I was told would kill me if I ever tried.

On the other hand, they got some spectacular footage out of it.

I'd sell organs for a chance to visit Antartica.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

No adjustments. I thought for an animal that uses tree bark for dental floss they would have much whiter teeth.

They wouldn't care anyways, because their teeth never stop growing.. they chisel them down on trees, which wears them down and keeps the teeth sharp.

The orange is actually their healthy color, it's some specialized enamel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That first photo is quite epic.

Bear is all "those settings are totally wrong for this light, let me fix them for you."

Though on a serious note, leaving the camera behind probably saved the photographer's life. It's really hard to survive a bear encounter once they decide to approach you. Running only makes them more interested in chasing.. and it's a race they'll win.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd want a hell of a lot more than chicken wire between me and one of those godless killing machines. :gonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man that guy is camouflage as gently caress.

My favorite shot though is the one with the hippos in the water. The choice of focus really works well. Though the bokeys on the far shore is a bit distracting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe he thought it was a bidet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the lighting is pretty baller.

I like the way it outlines the shadowed area on the bird.

Only distraction is the really bright out of focus branch in the upper right. I'd try burning it or cloning it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a really badass moment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

Did you not read the thread title?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like four guys didn't read the pamphlet on dealing with bear encounters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Owns. Is that one of those gigantic, bash someone's head in and keep shooting lenses?

Flickr says the focal length was 100mm. :v:

So it could have been a giant lens, but wasn't necessarily.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh oops, I totally ignored the post and went straight to the flickr exif. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moose are only cute the first few times. Eventually you'll regard them as pests that will kick your rear end if you mess around with them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the heck do you have going on that wild bears willingly approach?

Everything I've ever been told about bears says that unless they've grown used to humans (read: getting food from them) they actively avoid us. In my experience this seems to hold true. Or are polar bears more curious than other variants? I've really only been in proximity to brown or black bears.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a safety reason for pitching tents so far apart? Or is it just for privacy?

Or do you just pick the first flat patch of ground you can find? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd love to go that far north someday.

Realistically the closest I'll probably ever get is Fairbanks. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would have really sucked for the aftermath of the gruesome demise you had so carefully prepared for to not be documented because of a dead battery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zooming in your hatchback may get you trampled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poor bear got his nose installed crooked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, I lived in Alaska for 10 years and never saw a fox once.

Lots of bears and moose though. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You really ought to hunt down that Bernie rear end in a top hat and tell him to stop projecting his name onto your subjects.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deer are just really big rats, give them the same level of consideration you would any small rodent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wolves I'm cool with but gently caress bears. Most of the places I have any chance of ever encountering a bear has a strict no firearms policy, which means that's the end of my genetic line.

At least with a wolf I have a tiny chance of coming out on top. At least until his buddies show up to finish me off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I consider them pets that end up on the dinner table.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moose are awesome, until they flip their poo poo and stomp you for no good reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, they're born April-July so the oldest they could be is about three months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those idiots are way too loving close to those bison.

Yellowstone is a place I'd like to love, but the people ruin everything about it. This year was particularly bad, they set records for visitors this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bears are a fun hot button topic around Yellowstone, the park has enough of them now that they're starting to spill out of the park and creating problems for regional towns.. Red Lodge had a grizzly on main street a few weeks ago.

I mean, repopulation is good, but once the critters start leaving federally protected land and causing problems people are gonna be shooting the things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How can you be retarded enough to go near any wild animal let alone a massive hunk of angry muscle and horn? We don't have anything like that in Australia unless you count big buff male kangaroos but it seems like most people here know not to have anything to do with them unless they come to you.

The males at their peak look like body builders though so I guess they are more intimidating than something that looks like a weird cow, and it's not like dairy cows are aggressive.

Someone else said it, but it's mostly a false sense of security from having numbers. When you get away from the national parks people are a lot more sensible about being in the vicinity of wildlife. But when 20 tourists are constantly inching closer to get a better picture, they're going to conclude there's no harm in taking another step.

As for cows, they're bred to be stupid. Bison will start stomping poo poo for no apparent reason and is why they aren't used as livestock as much even though they're native to the US.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

toggle posted:

Do they have to cull bears in Yellowstone?

They've talked about it, but get a lot of resistance whenever it's suggested. I'm not sure if it's actually happened.

They do cull the bison though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would crop it down a bit, at least trim off those leaves on the left.

And I don't know if the darkness is the original is underexposed or you did it in post but it's way over the top. It's in sunlight, it should look like sun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe some parents just make a lot of loving money and spare no expense trying to make their crotch fruit the best at something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, a Ram 3500 might not be fast enough.

Probably need a Ferrari to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I woulda done it with my 10-22.