Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is a good looking coyote. All the ones I see are mangy or skinny as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I posted this eons ago, but we have some coyotes that look passable.

It's in the middle of Chicago's suburban hell but there's 9000-ish acres of prairie preserve which I guess is enough habitat to provide a decent life.

Unless it's wet out. Nothing fuzzy looks happy in the wet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really should have gone out this yesterday because the conditions ended up being glorious, but it was not to be so I braved standing next to my car in -15F windchill today.

Best winter we've had in Illinois in 10 years.

Also, bison are loving ugly if you stare at them too long. Gotta be careful when both eyes are in frame, they get super derpy when straight on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fermilab is closed to all visitors for now, so don't go there. :v:

I like Nachusa over Midewin because it's more remote. In terms of bison spotting I think they're about equivalent.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

I went to Nachusa once before I had real glass and couldn't really get any good shots.

Camp the tunnel on stone barn road, it still needs luck and patience but they pass through there a couple times a day. Every time I've gone through there there's been at least one inside 400mm range along that road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think that's accurate processing for depicting snow during heavy overcast, but yeah, snow in photography is loving hard. Perfect accuracy doesn't seem to translate well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously the proximity to Seattle has an effect on how angsty a goat is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The one of the cheetah jumping down the tree is epic. Nothing you can do about harsh noon light but the light on the cat is perfect and you caught some good action. The bushes are kind of a mess, but again, noon light. I'd print and hang it with no second thoughts.

Would love to see a B&W conversion of it too, that can tame some of the chaotic spots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Swarmin Swedes posted:

I hate that bush with a burning passion it’s so ugly and out of place but absolutely nothing I could do and tried to edit it in a million ways to get it to look decent to no avail. I also felt super limited because I had the sigma 150-600mm on there and ideally wanted to get the top of the tree in the frame but didn’t want to miss him jumping down while switching lenses.

I think the B&W tames the bush pretty well. Maybe dork around with localized contrast adjustments? As someone else said, some negative dehaze can help too (which is also a contrast adjustment, but it's magic).

But drat I'd be ecstatic if I caught that shot, bush or no bush. It's so nice to look at the vertical aspect doesn't bug me at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig the second one, it's a good mix of context and animals.

Something is up with the colors though. If it looked like that in person I guess you got an excuse to leave it but as a distant observer it feels like there's way too much saturation. It's all rich blues and golds and nothing else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were around RMNP last month and I would have loved to hang out around the burn scar because it was fascinating, but the rangers are pretty dedicated at booting people from the side of the road. As such I couldn't wait for a more flattering elk shot, but I still kinda dig the return of life to a ruined landscape. If anyone's in the region I recommend going, it's fascinating right now (in the national park you can't really explore the burn, but the nearby national forest has open roads, we spent a day in the Stillwater Pass area and loved it).

Then I saw a cute little pika.

And finally an elk with a pretty nice rack. :pervert:

I'm kinda unsure about this one, there's no eye, probably too many out of focus branches, and I could only get an angle from this single spot. But I kinda like the less common angle so it kinda works?

And apparently I like squares.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume autocorrect completely mangled an attempt to type "ball head tripod."

In other news I got to see a couple sea turtles last week, turns out they aren't the best photographic subjects because when they're chilling out on land they look like corpses. But it was still neat to see.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was walking the woods at work looking for spring scenes and spooked a barred owl a couple times. Once I kinda knew where it was hanging out I slapped the long lens on and walked around until I saw it flying again. Did not like me getting close, 600mm wasn't enough. I need MORE ZOOM.

I've never seen an owl before so it was fun regardless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another bonus is cameras force you to stop and linger at scenes to take them in. If you're just "going for a hike" it's too easy to blast through a few miles with only a few minutes to snack at whatever the turnaround point is. But if you're lugging a bunch of gear? You are gonna be hunting for shots the entire time, it helps a lot with appreciating what's out there.

Getting that dopamine hit of making a nice shot is good for motivating you go to back out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

møøse giving me stinkeye

Curious about opinions the white bar at the bottom. I was shooting across a clearing and the meadow was in full sun while the moose were in shadow. I did what I could with a linear gradient and wiggling sliders to get some form of highlight recovery so I wonder how bad it looks to everyone else.