Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hay lapa no ya, Solo! Ha ha ha ha ha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm coming to the realization that it's really difficult to do good insect macro shots without a proper macro lens, and without focus stacking.

LiterallyABee by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Goositude by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

I liked how you can see the horizon line (and a white honkey with a d7k if you zoom) in the goose's eye.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mygoodside by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WB looks fine to me. Nice shots.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Linedance posted:

e- Bonus GIF!

(moving about twice as fast as real life)

Merrily on it's way to back up a river and cause massive flood damage to your house.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went to a local lake today here in Vancouver, BC. Was very surprised to see this guy crawling around in the grass about 30' from the shore.

Turtle by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Lots of these guys were around, I guess because of the heat we've been having.
Stained Glass by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Leafsittin by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 23, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^ I don't like the border on the grey of the forums background but I think it would look good against a darker background, and maybe with the border around 1/2 the thickness it is now.

A couple moths.

Bedsheet Moth by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Pro-Boscis by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

From now on I only take wildlife pictures of lions committing infanticide. GOTTA WIN!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think for the most part child photographers with super nice setups are probably using the parent's gear or have that gear provided by parents who themselves are so into photography they can't help but slather it onto their kids as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

(Guess who hasn't been on a luxurious safari to photograph exotic species)

Squirrel on Fence by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boundary Bay Bee by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Snail by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ika posted:

There is a new siberian tiger at the local zoo, and I'm told he didn't have a moat at his old home. He spent an hour or two eyeing the water and putting a paw in it and eventually went for a swim

Hissing at the water, "What is this witchcraft?"

Cue the jaws theme:

Tigers need moats?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How sad should I be that I cut off the bottom of this dude's foot? :(

edit: also here's a duck or something

I like these, I'd probably crop in more on the top one since as mentioned the foot is cut off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Where do you live?

I like the first one you posted the most of that bird but I think it should be a profile crop since there isn't much interesting going on below it's neck.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Is the sharpening too aggressive?

Deer Landscape by B. B., on Flickr

Nope seems fine to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dread Head posted:

And that Orang shot was with a goPro!

Wait was this shot with a drone because if it was I don't like it anymore.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ZarathustraFollower posted:

First time posting in this thread. I like snakes.

I am also doing research - do you have a ponytail?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ZarathustraFollower posted:

God no. Are you referring to that simpson's clip, or do you know someone in the venomous world?

No my friend just shared an epiphany recently that all guys with ponytails love snakes. Was just trying to collect data!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would like to do that but once you open it all the pics are of toxic animals.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not going to upload this to flickr but was looking back through old pics and thought it was a funny look.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

my turn in the barrel posted:

I posted a link to my admittedly lovely flickr in the First DSLR thread and was told some of the wildlife shots were worth cross posting so here are a few.

The subjects and composition are good but the first two shots are fairly overprocessed to my eye. The reds look really pushed and the highlights are blown in the Buffalo pic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have no idea how the blacks got crushed and highlights got blown on that same buffalo pic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm going with my brother to Alaska in mid February for an exploration sorta trip. We're going to be there for 4 days or so. Anyone been shooting around Anchorage or similar? Any cool spots? I'm bringing my digital stuff as well as my medium format film equipment.

accipter posted:

Bobcat from Point Reyes this morning.

Holy poo poo that's really cool.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to link this in here and a couple other related threads, really cool image library available. I'm making a bunch of prints.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The cheetah tree photo is good, if that bush bugs you I would try playing with the sharpen masking so it's not so visually distracting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Does anyone shoot from a kayak or packraft? I see so many birds when I'm paddling, the views are usually much better than I'd get on land. I ordered an R5 and I think the 800mm f/11 lens is next on my list so I'd have a relatively compact bird setup. What would a good drybag look like? Something that's big enough to fit the equipment but still easy to open quickly...something like this maybe? https://www.drybags.com/product/aleutian-deck-bag/

I would expect shooting moving birds while you're moving in a kayak with an f/11 lens is going to be... challenging. You'd normally want to be shooting at such a fast shutter speed I can't imagine anything less than 1/600, combine that with f/11 and your ISO is looking like 3200 or something in normal daytime light right?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think OP is asking for a ballhead recommendation for wildlife photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm happy with my Tamron 70-300 VC USD. OP if you're near Vancouver you can borrow my Tamron 300-600 or whatever it is.