Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's in everybody's best interest to make a trip out to Alaska at some point in your life if wildlife is a big interest for you. I've seen tons of moose hanging around town, came across brown bears while on a run, lots of eagles and foxes, etc. It goes on.

With that being said these were all taken at the Alaska Wildlife Conversation Center in Girdwood, AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

WierdFishes posted:

Musk Ox :allears:

Are there caribou there too?

Yep!

This summer I'm planning an extended trip to Denali National Park. Should be a good time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Oh gently caress that poo poo. I like living...

Please tell me that bear photo was taken from like a 800mm lens.

Lightroom tells me it was shot at 70mm. The time I ran up on a mama brown bear and her two cubs was frightening. They were about 30 yards away. That was close enough for me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I took a trip down to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage, AK today. Earlier in the thread, I posted some photos from my first visit last year. This one was cooler because the bears were definitely a lot more outgoing. Two black bears were goofing around with each other which was pretty rad. They switch from slow and plodding to extremely fast very quickly. It's eye opening to witness just how fast they are. Right next to them was a gigantic brown bear who sauntered right up to the fence for 10 minutes just hanging out. He moved over to a log where he ripped off all of the bark with hardly any effort. Just tore through the drat thing like it wasn't even there.

Short story is don't gently caress with bears.

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 28, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There is a prevailing sense that, at most any distance, a bear is just choosing not to maul you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
hey moose what are you doing you don't pay rent get out of my yard