Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man underwater stuff is so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Those fish look pretty unimpressed by you taking their picture.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

InternetJunky posted:

Yeah, looks like you are dialed in for sure. Eye focus setting would be a dream. Does it work well for wildlife, or is it built for humans primarily?

Love that squirrel karate pose.

Some cameras recently have added "animal eye focus" no idea how well it works, I really want "insect compound eye manual focus assist" but I can't imagine that's high up on camera manufacturers priority lists.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 22, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Atlatl posted:

It'll look good on metal and you'll sell a bunch, for sure.

I know this is a bird but since we're getting advice I'll throw this draft in:

Thanks to big idiot em1x burst rate I happened to have more than enough shots to do a takeoff sequence so I tried this. Is it too busy? Is this garbage? I would prefer to know prior to spending a few hours on masking and adjustments, because this stuff is pretty tedious.

I think it needs more room to the right, I always like for there be space for the eye to "follow" the bird into when they are moving, if you have more room on that side use it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My friend asked me for advice for a telephoto lens for a safari next year. I don't really have any more details except it will be a trip with her family to South Africa (so probably not an itinerary with a super-draconian weight limit but I don't know that for sure), and I think she has a ~4 year old Nikon crop body and some sort of entry level 70-300. If it was Canon I'd probably recommend the 100-400L mk2 and then figure out what Sigma is closest to that, but I don't know Nikon. Is the 200-500 Nikon too big to be an easy travel lens? What are good options now around the 100-400 range? I can post in the Nikon thread but I figured I'd ask here first.

Is she hiring or buying? I see people using the 300mm f/2.8 with extenders. But telephoto covers a lot of price range.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice shots! although you seem to have a different definition of small and brown to me ;)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
We have a macro thread you are free to post in, most posts there are bug close ups.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3269817

eg

Small Copper by Aves Lux, on Flickr

It's a bit dead at the moment because for a lot of us there are no bugs about yet.

Nice butterflies, one of the hardest subjects to photograph in my opinion.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 4, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is flickr the best way to share photos here? The only way I really share photos currently is on Instagram, and for those I edit them to be 1x1 ratio, 1080x1080, sRGB to better match IG's settings. I'd feel a little tacky just linking to IG posts here.

Flickr generates a BBCode link you can just paste directly in and you can choose what preview resolution to inflict on peoples monitors.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man-atee that's some nice work..

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I took a photo that wasn't a bird nor a macro!

Hare on the run by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

torgeaux posted:

You were looking for a bird or a bug, admit it.

It's true I was after a spoonbill!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Monkeys with a pink bottle reminds me of nights out in Wigan.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Close encounter with the usually timid European Hare

Curious Hare by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Hare closeup by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pretty Cool Name posted:

That's really cool! How close were you? I've seen plenty of those in real life but this gives a whole new level of detail.

You're right, I don't know why but the stars aligned and the hares were not bothered by my presence (I was wearing my crazy anti horse fly hat so maybe they were like wtf is that) the real close up is 7 metres it was too close to be honest and by a gate so it's ears were covered by bars it's cropped to remove the bars and I didn't want to move incase it ran off and the better angle one with the full ears is much more of a crop from a crop camera at 560mm at 20m. I have a few more shots of this level of detail, these are the best though. I probably could have stayed longer but I gave them their peace for the incredible experience.

Hares in the UK are VERY flighty it's incredibly rare to get close, most of the time you see them just as they disappear into long grass running away, and with good reason they are still persecuted by illegal hare coursers, I will never disclose locations and make sure no geotags are release coursers are known to try and use social media etc to find hares. Other countries are blessed with a wide range of native medium/large mammal species, the UK has Badgers, Otters, (naturalised) Hares, Deer, Foxes all have been mercilessly hunted over the years and all are very hard to see in the wild let alone get close to in good light (Deer are common at country estates but are not wild.)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

I once went out trying to photograph hares. I put down my camera and popped in to the adjacent woods to have a piss. Mid-flow, a young hare came out of the woods and explored by my feet for a few minutes then casually went back in to the woods...

it's like 1% of the time they forget they are supposed to be afraid.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Who the gently caress just maxed the texture slider and won nature photographer of the year.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Atlatl posted:

Yeah as much as I don't like the editing on that one specifically a lot of them are going to have the look just because of how bad the light conditions are. Natural light in a forest in the dark with no lighting (which is probably the most responsible option) isn't great.

That's the thing though, that's why nature photography is hard, controlling the conditions. But you generally win a competition or take a good photo by spending effort and skill to seek out and maximise the rare opportunities to take photos that are less affected by those conditions. Sure the pose, subject etc have to live up as well but that's why competition winners should be winners.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 17, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Another one from my ludicrously lucky hare encounter.

Hare Stare Lens Flare by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lovely fox cub! Would be very rare to see that in the UK

Red Squirrel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That second shot is :captainpop:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I love shooting animals but it's the only time I really feel like I'm running up against the limitations of my gear. A cheap old crop sensor body and a 200mm lens requires a lot of compromises that I can usually get around when practicing portraits / landscapes, etc., but there's a ton of potential shots that I just straight up can't make happen.

I assume these are zoo shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yep! Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City. Wasn't sure if zoo shots are kosher or not in this thread since I guess it's not technically "wild" life, so apologies if those are not in the spirit of the thread.

I mean it does make critique different, a zoo shot means you have a lot of time to get angle/light/pose etc right and you can get much closer. So if you don't like the shots you have more opportunity to work on them.

Like if any of those shots was wild it would be a lifetime great photo, it being in a zoo does change the equation a bit.