Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've got a chance to go on a 4ish day safari in South Africa. My only big lens that I own is a 70-200 2.8 IS II. I'd like to rent something bigger but I'd like some advice. The safari will include both day and night trips into the wilds so I want a low f/. I'm thinking either a 400 or a 600, IS is probably a must. I just don't want to miss my one shot for an awesome shot of a South African animal and miss it with my 70-200.

How much difference is there between the 400 and 600? are there options I'm not considering? What about a 400 with an extender? Or my 70-200 with an extender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The much cheaper option is an extender, correct? I may have this wrong but doesn't it basically 'double' the mm range, and double the fstop? I may have that totally wrong.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I assume the extender goes between the lens and camera, right? So taking it off in a 'hurry' or putting it on in one is not happening?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What did you take those with?

edit: so if I rented Canon 2.0x III Extender, which is about a hundred bucks for the timeframe I need it, that will work with my 7d body and 70-200 IS L lens, and the only real downside is only main autofocus point, right?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 27, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Please share your tricks!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Aww they just want to hug you and cuddle with you

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I'm going on a Safari in south africa, do I lug around two bodies so i can have my 70-200L with 1.4 extender on it AND something for closer shots, or do I realize that nothing will be THAT close, and if it's THAT close I can swap lenses and catch it? Lugging around another body just seems like such a hassle.

But missing a good shot...hmm...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Here, enjoy some birds.

edit:

Dread Head posted:

This. I think oof leaves like this can work but for a domestic animal it just makes it look like you where lazy.

Sort of like this, then?

Or this one, but I may have taken it a bit too far...

hosting mine

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 22, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Couple more Africa Safari pics.

Hippo:

Rhino:

Anyone care to guess at this animal? I know, but I never would have guessed it without the guide telling me:

hosting mine.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

xzzy posted:

Man that guy is camouflage as gently caress.

My favorite shot though is the one with the hippos in the water. The choice of focus really works well. Though the bokeys on the far shore is a bit distracting.

The hippo one is begging for a "SOON" macro.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am really pleased with this Rhino shot

Then this Elephant came along stepped ON the electric fence to the game lodge, then began tearing another fence apart pole by pole.

Hosting mine.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I feel like this guy was thinking "This dead horse creature is tasty...but this live photog is a lot tastier!"
(hosting mine,click for embiggen,etc)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Times like that when I'm so glad my 7D can shoot on High speed and just kinda swing the camera around, mash focus and hold the button down.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The best camera for taking a photo is the one you have on you. Nice shot.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was losing the light so didn't get exactly the frozen motion that I wanted, but I ended up layering this into something I like.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

toggle posted:

Has anyone been to the Johannesburg Lion and Rhino park? I've got a free trip there through work, and was wondering if a Tamron 150-600 would be overkill?

That actually might be a bit much. You get very close to the lions, I never needed more zoom on my 70-200 with an extension. If you have a second body with a wider lens then your Tamron would rock, but I think with that much zoom you might miss wider shots of things playing.

For reference, a couple shots from my trip to that lion park:

The last shot, if I had something wider I would have caught other cubs playing too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah everytime Hornaday posts, I alternate between hanging my camera up, and being inspired. So I guess it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Pretty happy with how this turned out:

Another angle where he looks like a real smug motherfucker: