Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Took a trip up Pikes Peak the other day and this guy was walking across the road near the summit. Best I could do with one hand on the wheel, one on the camera and my wife having a panic attack about driving us off the edge of a mountain.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Apparently the Cook County Forest Preserves have some cool animals. Don't see elk every day in Chicagoland, much as I wish you did.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

This is a very, very good picture. More of us should go for this kind of unusual composition - way in close, obvious shadows from a fence (did you stick your lens against the fence, trying to squeeze the wires to the edges? I've done that, sometimes it works).

Awesome.

Thanks, I pressed the lens right up to the fence to try and minimize it in the frame. I was a bit hesitant to get that close even with the fence just to give them some peace in what is a very unnatural existence for a herd of elk but I also figured it was probably on the low end of annoying to them given what they must go through with the average idiot wandering upon them.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 27, 2017

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I was in Minneapolis for a couple days and saw that the Minnesota Zoo had an adults only night after hours so I took advantage of no children running around (in exchange for drunk 20-somethings running around :saddowns: ) and dragged my wife and camera around for 3 hours.

Since the event was after the zoo normally closes and approaching sunset I think the animals were more active than any other time I've been to either zoo at home in Chicago.

Minnesota Zoo by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Minnesota Zoo by charliebravo77, on FlickrMinnesota Zoo by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 30, 2018

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So I was driving past a forest preserve today and the local rats deer were out in force so I snapped a few photos with the longest lens I have (18-135mm EF-S IS USM) and lamented wanting more range.
IMG_6377 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Had to drive past a big local electronics store to get home so I swung in to see what there was to play with and scored an open box (but LNIB) deal on a Tamron G2 150-600mm and welp - I went back to the forest preserve.
IMG_6734 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6719 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6536 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6611 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

my turn in the barrel posted:

I stopped by a local forest preserve that has a penned in elk pasture right at feeding time and they were actually out in the clearing for once.

I also found this polar vortex refugee

I cant believe I've lived here as long as I had before learning about the elk.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Urban critters again. Spotted a squirrel when leaving the house this morning.

Squirrel by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Then a coyote across the street while leaving a brewery.

Coyote by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Coyote by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I love this big stupid lens.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Update on big dumb lens: Still loving it. Kinda want Canon to hurry up and release a 7D3 so I can have a proper pro body with a crop sensor.

Seems today's theme was tongues.

Urban Critters by charliebravo77, on Flickr

More here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskN9PcVp

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went to visit Chicagoland's elk herd this weekend. I'll have to check in every few weeks and document this bull's antler growth between now and September.

Busse Woods Elk by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I kinda sorta despise robins because they're about the only bird you regularly see around here. At least these were doing something interesting.

Robin Dinner by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Went to the Olympics yesterday.

Pictures like these cause me physical pain living in Chicago.

That cinnamon color phase black bear cub is awesome! It is a black bear, right? You guys don't have grizzlies in the Olympics?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I dunno what kind of bear it is honestly. I was at Olympic Game Farm and it just hung out in the grass laying low the whole time.

Also, I live in Elgin, so don’t feel too much pain.

Ah, so maybe it was a grizz then. Sup chicagoland pal, I'm actually in Glenview.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Quasi-wildlife today. I'm pretty sure they could all escape these gardens if they wanted to.

Anderson Japanese Gardens by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Spent a little over a week in CO/SD/WY for vacation. Did a lot of National Park stuff so I got a bunch of critters:

CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

More here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFQBJVR

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Can't believe that I've lived like 1/4 a mile from a nature preserve for almost 3 years now and haven't wandered around in it until now. Also, how did it take this long for me to get a 70-200/2.8?

The Grove by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Finally found a buck in the local woods. Doesn't hurt that I was looking near sunset in the week or so leading up to the rut.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

I don't consider getting the camera out for deer but I don't see bucks too often so I just HAD to.

Getting stinkeye from a buck by Seth Graham, on Flickr

I hung out for a bit hoping he'd move somewhere a little more interesting (the blurry tree on the left edge annoys the gently caress out of me but it wasn't reasonable for me to get closer and there was no other angles to be had), but he wasn't having none of that and stood motionless staring me down until I left. Don't worry bro I'm not gonna steal your ladies.

Nice catch! Also, hello camera + lens + state (?) buddy. Where did you find him?

I also found some more Illinois wildlife:

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 5, 2019

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Blackwell Forest Preserve. They have an excellent oak stand near the river that I'd been haunting for fall photos and apparently deer like it too because the place is lousy with them.

Hah, I used to live right by there. I should get back down to check it out.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Wow, that's pretty awesome.

I played around with an older photo. Does this work?

I feel like the highlights are just a touch too hot, but I dig it otherwise. Has kind of a Donal Boyd feel: https://www.instagram.com/donalboyd/

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I decided to go "hunt" the local woods with my camera again. I figure I'm getting probably 3x closer to these deer than truly wild ones, but still pretty fun. Squirrels on the other hand never stop moving. Managed to play the wind and sneak up on some bedded deer, and wandered into a few more.

Wildlife by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I really wish Canon would hurry up and come out with a 7D3 or a sports/wildlife focused EOS R model of some variety.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 16, 2019

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Verman posted:

That's a nice buck, you got a lot of great wildlife for one walk. Most hunters wish they could see that much in a full week of hunting.

Trust me, I know. When I have a gun in my hand instead of a camera things are much different. These photos (and most I've posted lately) are from a suburban nature preserve that's kind of its own little oasis and fauna thrives there, the deer also give zero shits about humans outside of like 10 yards. The deer density is like 1 per 15 acres (~250 acre preserve) and there are squirrels every 5 feet.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Took another walk in the local woods.

Gotta get back early in the morning soon to get all the fawns that are presumably running around.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm headed to the Bozeman area on Friday to spend a week on vacation. Naturally I'll probably head to Yellowstone since yanno, when in Rome. Anyone have any suggestions on lower trafficked areas to hang out and watch wildlife from? Every Youtube video of a 4 mile traffic jam because some yokel is trying to take a selfie with a bear/moose/buffalo makes me cringe and I'd like to try to avoid some of that if possible.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

You won't be avoiding traffic jams, any time something fuzzy is within line of sight of the road one is going to develop. The most tolerable traffic jams will be along Lamar valley. The downsides is it's a pretty wide valley so there's a fair chance the bison will little black dots. But they're also a fair chance they'll be along the road so feel free to try it out.

Consider the Blacktail Plateau drive, it was perfectly doable in a FWD city car when we were there 6-ish years ago, and almost no one else was driving it. Ask a ranger about the current road conditions though. I saw no wildlife, but there was a lot of wildlife evidence in the form of poop.

For non-wildlife stuff, Hyalite Canyon and the Madison Valley are excellent places to visit too that are in proximity to Bozeman. Virginia City is a tourist trap but a really cool one. Also Beartooth pass if you really want a longer drive.

Cool, I'll check those out, thanks! I have a lifted Tacoma TRD-Off Road and am not afraid of going off pavement so if that adds any ideas to the list I'm all ears.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone. I'm staying up in Wilsall so driving infrom/out of the North will be good for seeing Lamar Valley. Wolves and grizzlies are at the top of my list of things I want to see (from behind a 600mm lens). Just gotta convince my wife to get up ~2.5 hours before sunrise once we're there. I've marked a few trails in the Gallatin and Crazy Mountains for off-road exploring, too. I would love to get up to the Bob Marshall/Glacier and Flathead Lake but I also don't want to drive the whole trip. We'll see, though.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went to Yellowstone (and SW Montana) about a month ago. I had a severely sprained ankle so I didn't get to hike off and get some of the photos I was hoping to but did manage to get a few decent ones.

Bonus cow which is an ubiquitous part of the non-park landscape in the west

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

piratepilates posted:

edit: ^^^ those are all gorgeous. how close did you get to that wolf??

Thanks!

He popped up from below onto the road right before sunrise as I was driving into Hayden Valley in YNP. Stopped to take a dump in front of me and wandered around back and forth between my truck and the one in front of me. Rolled down the window (maybe not the smartest move in retrospect) and fired off a bunch of shots with my 70-200. Unfortunately my 80D isn't super great in low light and that was the most in-focus shot I got. The wolf and I locked eyes for a couple seconds before he sauntered off up the hillside into the timber. Definitely a super cool experience that I was not expecting to happen.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I went to Nachusa once before I had real glass and couldn't really get any good shots. Once it stops snowing I should take the shell off my truck and go back out and use the bed to get a little more elevation. Midewin had short-eared owls last time I went but I didn't see the Bison.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Camp the tunnel on stone barn road, it still needs luck and patience but they pass through there a couple times a day. Every time I've gone through there there's been at least one inside 400mm range along that road.

Cool, I'll check that out, thanks! I've got 600mm on a crop sensor so that should be good.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Huh, the mountain goats I've encountered in the Colorado Rockies have been very chill and didn't seem to be fazed by humans at all. This guy wandered over to my campsite and just munched on grass and hung around 20 yards away at times. Don't get me wrong, I definitely give wildlife ample room and am fully aware that even a whitetail deer can severely gently caress up your day. Wonder why the Enchantment goats are particularly aggressive in comparison to what I've seen.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

Does anyone shoot from a kayak or packraft? I see so many birds when I'm paddling, the views are usually much better than I'd get on land. I ordered an R5 and I think the 800mm f/11 lens is next on my list so I'd have a relatively compact bird setup. What would a good drybag look like? Something that's big enough to fit the equipment but still easy to open quickly...something like this maybe? https://www.drybags.com/product/aleutian-deck-bag/

I haven't shot with a telephoto but I've taken my Fuji X100V and XF10 on my kayak quite a bit. I have a NuCanoe Frontier 12 which is very stable. I have been hesitant to take my DSLR and big lens out on it but if I did I think I would keep it in a dry bag (I have a few options, normal roll top dry bags, Patagonia waterproof backpack, etc) or pelican until I set up and probably shoot off a tripod that is secured to the rails on the deck so it doesn't get knocked off. I probably will end up taking it out in the spring since I have noticed the same WRT birds and other wildlife.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Finally got my Canon EOS R7 and took it out a couple times for some wildlife photos. These were taken with either the Tamron G2 150-600mm or Tamron G2 70-200mm 2.8. The 70-200 is WAY better with the animal tracking AF than the 150-600 which has the hunting issue that people have complained about. Seems worse the smaller the subject gets. The rolling shutter and warping is also a lot worse than I would have hoped it to be so I quickly switched to mechanical only, which is still 2x as fast as my 80D I had been using previously. Disappointing they aren't using a BSI sensor since the whole point of having a fast frame rate is to capture action, which is where the warping becomes an issue. Typical Canon model gimping I guess, forcing you to go to the R5 or R3 if you really need fast frame rates and magic AF. I think I will probably still end up with an R5 in a year or two but I'll shoot the hell out of the R7 for a while and see if it holds up.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Just got back from fishing in FL, spent a couple days around the Everglades too. It's basically Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went to the zoo recently, got a few good shots.