Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Some old stuff from me as well over the past couple of years.

20100320-IMG_1264.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Red Fox by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Beaver Ponds Trail Coyote by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Hidden Lake Overlook Goat by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Weasel Mom2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Bighorn by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Silver Phase Red Fox by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20101012-IMG_5338.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20100828-IMG_4738.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20101019-IMG_6071.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Grizzly Family2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

DJExile posted:

hahaha I was thinking the same thing. Everything's giving him the stink-eye.

E: Beast, how far were you from those bears?
Far enough, if you're here to post them, I suppose :v:

100yards or so, I'd say. Interesting story behind it is that it was in Yellowstone and my wife and I spotted them while driving by at the same time as another couple who were there on their honeymoon. By the time we got turned around and parked they had gone behind the hill and the guy had actually walked all the way out to the top of the ridge to try to spot them again. His wife was about halfway between the road and him screaming at him to come back. He finally relented and a couple minutes later the mom and her cubs popped up right where he was previously standing. Not a smart move on his part.

Less than a week later I climbed up what was essentially a cliff because my wife overheard someone say they'd seen a mountain lion at the top. I smartened up and came back down once I realized that I was going to pop up into forest covered rather than an open area, but it was pretty stupid even if that hadn't been the case.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

As a Brit, I'm legally obliged to disparage the now common but non-native Eastern grey squirrel, and pine for the displaced, native and considerably cuter Red.

http://500px.com/photo/4002290 (sadly not my photo. I haven't seen one in years)

They imported those bastards to Britain? They displaced most of our native squirrel species on the west coast of the US as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

No whales on the whale watching trip. :(

But we did run into a bunch of bottle-nosed dolphins! Who came right up to the boat and played the terribly fun (for them) game of "let's jump out where the humies aren't looking!"

IMG_0100 by The original David L, on Flickr

IMG_0106 by The original David L, on Flickr

I'd take dolphins at 10ft over whales at 100 yards or whatever the legal minimum is any day of the week, but then again I just volunteered for a work trip partially because it involves taking a ferry that I once saw dolphins from.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

This guy showed up at a local park while I was photographing birds yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing a River Otter before so it was a cool experience.

River Otter by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Eeek posted:

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

I didn't even have to leave my porch for animals.

This is nice and makes me pissed at my photos of a very similar lizard that are not even close to as awesome.

The Godzilla of Racoons by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Swarming Hordes by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Finally, a cooperative weasel!

Young Weasel 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I was so excited to see Condors when we went the Grand Canyon this year. They'd been the #1 bird I'd wanted to see when I was a kid and spent a whole trip to California with my eyes to the skies not knowing that they were essentially all in captivity then. Fortunately I noticed that they also were seen on the California coast so on our way down the Pacific Coast highway I kept my eyes open and ended up with a group of 11 birds soaring 50ft over my head. It was lucky too, since I only saw one at the Grand Canyon and it was very high and far away. Surprisingly, they seemed smaller than I expected.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Monterey Bay is awesome.

Happy Seal by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Monterey Harbor Seal by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Jadeilyn posted:

This sea lion was taking a nap in the harbor. What a life.

Well, until an Orca or Great White take notice of you.

Went birding at a park near my house. On my way back to the car I scared this guy off the trail. Probably the largest set of antlers I've ever seen on a Black-Tailed Deer (pacific subspecies of Mule Deer).

Black-Tailed Buck
by Josh, on Flickr

This muskrat was standing out 15ft away from me. Unfortunately when I tried to move to a better angle it took off.

Muskrat
by Josh, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Jadeilyn posted:

Good job on the focus with the buck, did you have a chance to get more than one photo before he bolted?

Hah. He was relatively brave, especially for a buck in hunting season, and pretty much stayed put within 100ft of me, even after I continued walking towards my car. I was really surprised.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'll be the guy taking bad pictures with the wife who was ready to leave an hour ago.

I was going to accuse you of stealing my schtick, but it's since been replaced by "guy trying to take photos/bird while simultaneously convincing a toddler that this is actually fun."

Also, I'm pretty sure that's the place my wife and I stumbled upon when driving highway 1 a few years ago. Like, we pulled into a parking lot to find a bathroom or switch drivers and wandered over to where all the people were and found the seals. Pretty cool surprise for being almost 1000 miles away from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Backyard Bobcat by Josh, on Flickr

Found this guy/gal sitting over its breakfast in my backyard this morning. Not pictured: A very dead squirrel.

edit: I wish that loving blackberry stem was not where it is.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 26, 2018