Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Stumbled on some orcas for the first time today. Really would have loved some more reach, but I can’t imagine holding anything more substantial than a 70-200+2x stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Spent a few hours today watching some more orcas. Took a bunch of mostly out of focus and uninteresting photos. Got one nice shot of some spyhopping though.

Bonus muddy snapshot that more accurately portrays what the whale watching experience is like:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

they got the sea lion

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That’s sweet. Would love to see that blowhole pic.

I was super jealous when I saw how close the whales were to that boat yesterday but I am not a terribly experienced in the water and probably would have panicked somehow.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Swarmin Swedes posted:

I am in Kenya for 6 weeks and had my first chance really shooting wildlife. Was wondering what I could do to improve my shots for my next time I get to do a game drive in about 2 weeks. I tried to get a mix of environmental shots and closer in portraiture but am totally out of my depth on how to improve my shots.

I would hang pretty much any of these on my wall if I had taken them. Main suggestion would be to work on lighting. Pay attention to where the sun/light is and try to get more front lit subjects (put yourself between the sun and your subject). I’m sure there are lots of resources out there from people whose main wildlife experience isn’t backyard birds that would have some good tips.

quote:

Stop down the aperture a bit to get a larger focal plane. Focus is behind the cat a bit and the tree is a bit too blurry for how much weight it has in the image. There’s a distracting little spot on the right (insect?) that could be cloned out.

quote:

Nice composition. If you could, move the sun a little bit further back to get some more light on their backs. Think focus is a bit in front of the elephants as well.

quote:

My main complaint here is that it’s not as bright compared to the previous two. I would try to edit them so the three are consistent.

quote:

I find vertical images are hard to present, so I may have zoomed out more to try a square or just less tall crop.

quote:

I like it. Would maybe like see this taken a little lower to get more of the eyes.

quote:

Cool scene. Lighting is a bit of a mess.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That b&w with top to bottom action works well, yeah.

tk fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

møøse giving me stinkeye

Curious about opinions the white bar at the bottom. I was shooting across a clearing and the meadow was in full sun while the moose were in shadow. I did what I could with a linear gradient and wiggling sliders to get some form of highlight recovery so I wonder how bad it looks to everyone else.

It’s fine. Not perfect but not noticeable until you told me to look at it.