Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
(Crossposting from SAD.)

There's a place in Reno NV called the Animal Ark that is a sanctuary for animals that cannot survive out in the wild anymore, for whatever reason. Some animals were pets and got de-clawed (lynx with severed feet tendons), some were badly injured and couldn't survive otherwise, others were show animals and whatnot.

Anyway, have some cool photos :D

Yawn by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Scratch by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Naptime by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Foxy by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I wasn't able to unfocus the chain link fence on this shot. It's a shame because it could have been super awesome. I still like it.

Cheetah by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Cheetah2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I went ahead and bought a platinum membership to the place for $125. Free access to everything, special invite-only events, and they're also going to have photo blinds for cheetah runs. They load up a dummy animal with meatballs and send it on a zipline at 60mph for the cheetahs to chase.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

wizard sticks posted:

Great photo! It's a shame about the chain-link fence but I still really like the photo. I was shooting at the Toronto Zoo a couple of months ago and started talking to this really old guy who had a ton of awesome gear and he said the most important part of getting good photos at a sanctuary or zoo is to keep the background in mind. I've noticed in a few of your photos that you have fencing or buildings in the background, and I know it's hard to get around in a zoo-type location but maybe just something to think about related to your composition!

Thanks! I agree 100% - I had the hardest time composing shots here because there are limited places to shoot from. You basically get two options - shoot through the fence or shoot through plexiglass. The angles on the plexiglass shots were really bad because they were reflecting the ambient light, so I had to go through the fence... I don't have tons of telephoto gear - just my 70-200 F4, so I was fairly restricted in my options.

And unfortunately they don't try to 'disguise' the fencing at all. It would be cool if they could! I can't freaking wait for the cheetah runs.

DJExile posted:

This picture is awesome and that cheetah run sounds cool as hell.

I am so stoked about being able to go, I had no idea Reno had this kind of thing. The cheetah run is really good for their health - cheetahs in captivity tend to get digestive issues and it appears that doing the runs keeps those issues at bay. Also, they take them out of the fenced areas... :D :D So no chain link fences in the shots!!!! SO EXCITED.

You can expect to see way more photos from me once the place opens for the year. This weekend was a special event.

Also, freaking baby cheetah coming in the next two months.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3053643272810&set=a.1047061069509.8815.1615157439&type=1&theater

And another edit: I'm considering getting a 1.4x extender. Not sure if I want to start jumping into huge lenses and that should at least give me considerably more range.

edit the third:

Cheetah 3 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

arctic fox 2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

fox by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Drewski fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 20, 2012

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Ghost Cactus posted:

Please forgive the noob question, but I have an old telephoto lens on loan from a friend, and I'm getting chromatic aberratiowned. Should I shoot less wide-open (like I was all the time), or not at midday? What's the best way to minimize what looks like red-green shift out of an '80s sci-fi flick?

Thanks for the wildlife eye candy!

Cool pics :D What lens are you using that's giving you trouble? Maybe applying some of these solutions can help:

1. Stop down your aperture. (You don't need to be shooting at a low F number if you're there at midday anyway, and I'd rather have a sharp subject than a fuzzy one with super bokeh).
2. Avoid both extremes of your lens. (Sometimes not an option of course...)
3. Center your subject and crop your shot in post. (Chromatic Aberration is more pronounced around the edges of your photo than in the middle)
4. Frame your shot to avoid high contrast situations, which is simpler than:
5. Time your shot to avoid high contrast situations. (Midday light is harsh but sometimes we don't have the option :) )

And then there's always photoshop correction. Not perfect but it helps.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Ferris Bueller posted:

Before I put it up I have a cool(I think at least) picture of a Red Tail Hawk on a rabbit it took. There is fur all over the place but no gore, so I was wondering if people would be opposed/put off by this?

The bird in question is a wild red tail but kept by a falconer(well austringer in this case,) I however see some zoo pictures(great by the way,) so I figured that wouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Needing no further encouragement then Hornaday

_MG_5193-Edit.jpg by David Jachym, on Flickr

If people have a problem with nature at its finest in the wildlife thread they can :frogout:. I think that is an awesome picture. It wasn't staged in any way right? The only reason I'd know it's a captive bird is because of the strap on the leg.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

The much cheaper option is an extender, correct? I may have this wrong but doesn't it basically 'double' the mm range, and double the fstop? I may have that totally wrong.

The Canon 1.4x turns your Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Lens into a 98-280mm f/4 IS lens, while the 2x doubles the focal range (140-400). It also multiplies the flaws in your images so CA will be a little more pronounced and since it also introduces another piece of glass to your setup it will affect probably sharpness and contrast as well. Also, autofocus speed is fairly significantly reduced.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

I trekked out to the San Diego Zoo yesterday.

Trip to San Diego-7 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I couldn't quite blur out the fences all the time.

Trip to San Diego-8 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-9 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Then I was sad because I kept getting pushed into not so great spots for the panda that was eating, and these were the best pictures that came out... With a tree right in the way. (I was with my friend, his pregnant wife, and their not-quite-two-year-old son. So I couldn't just go back around and try for another picture.

Trip to San Diego-12 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-13 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-18 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-19 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Trip to San Diego-20 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I was very happy with most of my pictures, but I was getting frustrated by the reflections of all the people in the glass of the gorilla area. So I thought, "Why fight it, why not try to maximize it?" You may notice that the line of her lips matches up really well with the gorilla's. I was going for that and it turned out better than I thought.

Reflections of Primates in a Gorilla Habitat by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Reflections of Primates in the Glass of the Gorilla Pen by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

A christmas tree for dessert
Bactrian Camel 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

I love these guys; they're the floofiest of all the camels. I was about to ask if it was San Diego but of course I saw the snow and realized no way.

That is one flooofy camel. by sulakkalus, on Flickr