Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Faltion posted:

Went to Sea World again this past weekend

Asian Small-Clawed Otter by faltion, on Flickr

Haha, awesome! Man, nothing beats the connection we have with other mammals. I know exactly how that otter feels.

Wild"life"?

horse by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

bat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

snake by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

greatapoc posted:

I went to Taronga Zoo a few weeks back. Really wish I had a 70-200, all of these were shot with a 24-70 2.8.

We absolutely loved our day at the Taronga Zoo. A+++ would go again. One of the highlights of my Sydney visit.

goat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

emu by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

greatapoc posted:

_DSC2748 by greatapoc, on Flickr

komodo dragon by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Edit: I think these were all shot with the 105mm f/2.8 Sigma on my 10D

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Can anyone identify this for me?

IMG_7368.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_7364.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_7336.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

:barf:

It was about a foot long and a little over an inch thick, I estimate. It was also reproducing: writhing around over the rocks and weeds, dripping splooge (2nd pic).

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Definately a polychaete. How big was it? Where was it?

The name "nereis" is floating around in my head, as a genus (?) of relatively large and free-living (as opposed to parasitic or sessile, like tube worms), predatory polychaetes commonly encountered on beaches and rocky intertidal zones of the west coast of North America, that look like that.

It was described to me as possibly a pile worm (or clam worm) but I wasn't so sure. But after reading the wikipedia entry on polychaetes and nereis, I think that's probably what it is.

Size-wise, being in the water made it hard to tell, but I figure it was a bit longer than a foot and maybe an inch and a half thick. What confused everyone was that it was so big: I guess they tend to be smaller. Apparently they like to spend their time burrowing into water soaked logs and such but one old fart said he once dragged a deer carcass out the water and found a bunch of those in it, which brings up some pretty horrific imagery.

I took those pictures right off the helipad at our base in Prince Rupert, BC. Which is indeed on the west coast of North America.

Edit:
Here, have a jellyfish:

IMG_7202.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 25, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

These past few months have been completely poo poo for me photography-wise as I injured my rotator cuff badly enough that I couldn't lift a camera or kayak all summer. :(

Condolences. I tore my rotator cuff a few summers ago and it was basically awful. Ironically, it was the best thing to happen to my photography: no work, no mountain biking, or anything except get familiar with my brand-new 40D (which replaced the 10D I destroyed in the same bike crash that wrecked my shoulder).

And the Calgary Zoo is awesome! I loved spending afternoons there. My brother and I used to eat some mushrooms and sneak in super late at night, which is a whole other thing but also worth it.

In tribute to zoos and my dead 10D, here's my favourite photos taken at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. One of the best zoos I've ever been to.

emu by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

komodo dragon by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

goat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr