Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whales by hookshot88, on Flickr

Whale by hookshot88, on Flickr

I'm King Of The World by hookshot88, on Flickr

Lizard by hookshot88, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We really should rename this thread to The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > Wildlife Photography: Mostly Just Pictures of Squirrels

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Few animals pose as well as squirrels. It's like saying photos of attractive people shouldn't be allowed in the portraits thread.
I'm not complaining, I like squirrels, just commenting on the fact that there are a lot of them in here :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia Zoo is hands down the greatest zoo I've ever been to, in Brisbane (well like an hour outside of Brisbane but that's the main city it's closest to).

My husband and I have done the cheetah and tiger walks (the tiger one was with my brother as well) which is really, really cool but pretty expensive if there's only one or two people. That said, it's completely worth every penny.

The other best part of it is the huge free-roaming kangaroo enclosure that you can go into. You buy food at the petting zoo for 50 cents a bag and all the kangaroos come to get the food from you :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The one on the left has a broken horn. :(

Obviously not, the SomethingAwful Dorkroom Wildlife Photos thread now has a unicorn in it. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't post NEARLY enough in this thread. I need to find me some more animals.

Found these dudes on some ruins in Rome. There's nothing worse than realizing there's awesome lizards around and you left your 70-200 in the apartment and only have your 18-55.

Wildlife by hookshot88, on Flickr

Lizard by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ Those are both super, super awesome.

I think I prefer the first one though, only because it took me a little while to realize that the second one wasn't out of focus and notice the crabs.

Still, those rule.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Some "wild"life photos:

Iceland Sheep by hookshot88, on Flickr

Icelandic Horses by hookshot88, on Flickr

Icelandic Horses by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Loch Ness Monster just gave birth.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The one on the right looks like a llama crossed with a moose.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

What's that in the second shot? It looks like some sort of hedge hog/porcupine hybrid.

It's an echidna! Also found on Australian 5 cent coins.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
BEARS!

Whistler Summer 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

And also a peeing deer:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

:stare:

Did you not read the thread title?
I was above them on a chairlift my risk of getting mauled was pretty low... the plan had been to go hiking, but when I killed my knee skiing I was on crutches for four days, so I just rode up and down the chairlifts looking for bears most of the day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr. Soop posted:

They were moving the Basilisk lizards at work (the zoo) today.

DSC_3241 by Robert_Guzman, on Flickr

Dread Head posted:

Almost right after I saw the whale I posted yesterday I got to watch a sea lion destroy/eat a salmon. I have to say this was an amazing experience.

These are amazing. Poor salmon :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Awwwwwwwww :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Wow! That sounds intense! It really shows the size of polar bears, the bear tracks I saw near my place were from I believe an adult female (I've seen her three times) and they're still probably only around 2/3 the size of Marvin's tracks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I was aware that I might be making a serious mistake, so I took a photo of "before" in the event of an "after". Note the absence of bear.

The only way this could possibly be more dorkroom-y is if you'd set up a tripod on a time lapse so that someone could make a triptych of the before, during and after in the event of your horrific mauling death.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I actually had my DSLR on a tripod just outside my tent with my Zigview set up and ready to go in "motion sensor" mode.

The battery in the camera died after only about 2 hours, without taking any pictures. :(

Oh, well in that case it's a good thing Marvin didn't come and eat you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I drove 400km from Reykjavik to Latrabjarg to take pictures of puffins and it was amazing. Hundreds of puffins (and a few other sea birds) that would let you get to within 10 feet of them without blinking. We went too early in the year, but I know if you go even further up north as well there's a national park type place with an enormous amount of northern wildlife which is apparently exceptional to see.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I feel like this is cheating, these guys were just hanging out by the highway. I can't believe I didn't notice the loving orange pole in the background though.

BC/AB 2014 by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Verman posted:

Ahh okay, I was going to say that if this was a wild cat ... you must have been waiting it out for a while or just got really lucky.

I was just on an African safari earlier this month and the only big animal we didn't see was a cheetah. We had a layover in Amsterdam and we almost went to the zoo just to finally see one. :smith:

It's probably a good thing you didn't, zoos in European cities are like hands down the most depressing things you will ever see, in my experience.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

William T. Hornaday posted:

Netherlands has some phenomenal zoos.

You want depressing? Check out some Chinese zoos.

I realized I've never actually been to one in the Netherlands. The one in Copenhagen was the most depressing thing I've ever seen. I can only imagine Chinese zoos.

Australia has the best zoos. Australia Zoo especially is probably my favourite on the planet. The animals have so much space to roam around in for the most part.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

NSFW that poo poo for nipple!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I see your amazing desert animals and present to you... sheep.

(and seals)

Kaikoura by Hannah, on Flickr

Kaikoura by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_8170 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_8091 by Hannah, on Flickr

(That's my gopro, later on I put it in the water to get footage of the seals swimming, and this little guy (or girl) swam up to it and stole it for a second, before realizing it wasn't food I guess and letting it drop)

IMG_8234 by Hannah, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo that bat photo (and the rest of those costa rica photos, but especially the bat one)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What kind of bears and are they in an environment where they're used to humans? That's more than fine for the black bears that live around here and wander around the golf course (hell 70mm is usually enough for those) but I'd stay a lot further away from Grizzlies or bears that live in more remote locations.

Either way, the answer is yes, but your shots of black bears would likely be a lot more closeup than shots of grizzlies.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Then yeah, you won't get any closeups, you'll want bigger range than that, but you should be able to get some decent-ish far-off shots with that kind of range.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I love what you did in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
awwwwww :3: