Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I tend to review things mainly for myself, I know they're not fantastic, but if I don't then I look at it a week later and go "...Did I read that? Was it good? I don't remember that at all..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I only review things that are somehow notable. I normally just rate, as far as other people's reviews, I tend to just check out what my Goodreads friends have to say, and none of my non-internet friends write reviews, only rate. That winds up meaning I really only read the reviews of those of you who have friended me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

barkingclam posted:

Sometimes for kicks, I'll dig up cool one-star reviews like this.

Reading 1 star reviews is possibly my favourite thing to do on Goodreads.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 23, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just created my account 30 minutes ago, so I don't have much in my lists, but I'd love to have some friends:
http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MTY0NzY4NjQ6NDIy

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I just approved a bunch of outstanding friend requests from folks ITT, and added anyone who posted their links after my last post.

Link again if you want to friend me up (apologies to Color Me Badd): FRIENDZ!

:dance: HI THERE BOOK BUDDIES! :dance:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you ever see me review a book that you'd also like to read send me a PM either through goodreads or SA. I usually trade the stuff I'm done reading at Half-Price Books, but I'd rather see them go to an interested goon instead.
Also Here's a link to my profile again.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any reason why my featured bookshelf suddenly isn't being displayed at the top of my profile? Ticking and unticking it doesn't bring it back.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 3, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Goodreads I love you, but sometimes your recommendations are a little out of whack. :stare:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Is Goodreads broken for others too or just me? It looked broken yesterday on my tablet, and today on my PC too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Nope, it's fine for me, you tried resetting your router?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ok, so.. that sucks then. Internets hate me again.
I tried restarting router and also my free back-up internet connection with different router and it still looks like this, and I also can't sign out.
It's broken with another browser, freshly installed browser, after CCleaner etc. And I have absolutely no problems with any other site.
edit: It's even broken with my cellphones own web which has nothing to do with any other means I've tried, I really don't understand how it's not universally broken!? :psypop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mallamp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 17, 2013

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
It's like that for me too. On multiple browsers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Looks fine to me in Chrome.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hansen85 posted:

It's like that for me too. On multiple browsers.

Same here, both in OS X and Windows. Having to use the Goodreads app on the iPad.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Huh. Looks fine to me. Maybe you guys are using the same DNS or something?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

PureRok posted:

Huh. Looks fine to me. Maybe you guys are using the same DNS or something?

Found a thread on goodreads (not without effort since the CSS is missing...) forum indicating that it appears to affect people in the Scandinavian area only.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Nettle Soup posted:

I tend to review things mainly for myself, I know they're not fantastic, but if I don't then I look at it a week later and go "...Did I read that? Was it good? I don't remember that at all..."

This is what I do. A lot of the older stuff on my bookshelf has no reviews at all, and looking at them I'm all "Did I read that?". Stuff I actually reviewed sparks a memory and I tend to remember better, which helps with series readings where I have to wait for a book or forget about it for a while.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I just finished added the things I remember having read to my account, and I'd love to have some friends and getting inspiration on new things to read!

My profile is here. I'll be adding people from the last couple of pages of this thread.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Eh, I guess some goon friends would be cool. I read lit stuff, some sci-fi and horror and glbt interest.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5330044

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Since my kindle got the goodreads update recently I figured I may as well make an account. I'm finding it very interesting seeing what other people are reading.

I'm working my way through adding people from earlier in the thread, more friends would be welcome! :)

https://www.goodreads.com/dihaploidy

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I could do with some recommendations and I'm happy to share any. My Goodreads profile isn't exhaustive, I found inputting a lot of my reading history kind of tedious, but it reflects a lot of what's on my shelves and I think I'll be keeping it up to date now that I use an e-reader. My main interests are bleak but humanist speculative fiction, non-fiction/critical film and music books and a smattering of classic detective fiction.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11127884-craig

I'll add some of you from the thread!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Reading 1 star reviews is possibly my favourite thing to do on Goodreads.

The Teen paranormal romance section is the absolute best place for this.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The best 1 star reviews are for classics of world literature. Everyone knows ancient writings don't always make for the lightest reading, but the concept of going on a website and writing a review to warn people off A Pilgrims Progress or something is hilarious to me.

"To be honest, I just stopped reading this book 150 pages in. I thought I would like it since I just finished Percy Jackson and was digging the greek mythology and I love the movie Troy. But, the 150 pages I read was all in one battle and was basically a history like 'X fought Y. X was supported by Athena and Y was supported by Ares. X killed Y with a spear through the heart. X moved on to fight Z.' And so on and so on. SO boring. I am extemely disappointed because I wanted to like the book. Maybe it would have gotten better further in, but I felt like 150 pages of this book was 150 too many. Sorry Homer!"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A lot of those exclaim their weariness in encountering yet another such book in their quest to read through sequentially a list of a 1000 classics which had been drafted by some ad-man or other. Savage self-ownage.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Has anyone else tried out the goodreads giveaways? I've won two books so far, a neat guide to the basics on roller coaster design, and a mostly bad YA book that I entered to win because it had an interesting premise.

Dead Man Saloon
May 28, 2006
I've won Taiye Selasi's Ghana Must Go and Pynchon's Bleeding Edge from their giveaways. I'm also currently vying for a signed copy of The Goldfinch that I have no chance at winning (roughly 7000 others are after it as well).

They're fun enough to enter, but, man, weeding through all the terrible-looking books to find the gems can be quite the process.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
By far, the most annoying thing about Goodreads are those high-rated, one-star reviews of books which consist of nothing other than a bunch of witty sayings, .gifs, and a "hell no"! Like, seriously, I don't give a poo poo if it was the dumbest book in the Universe. I don't care if it makes Twilight look like War & Peace. Tell me what you didn't like about it and why. You aren't half as funny as you think you are.

Almost as bad is the infamous, passive-aggressive "Sorry that this is one of the best books ever but I didn't like it. Sorry! Don't eat me! It wasn't for me. I'm really sorry guys, okay? I'm sorry for the one-star rating. If you don't like it, too bad. *shrugs*." It's like they're daring someone to call them out on their lack of a proper review that will let me know why they didn't like this #1 NYT King bestseller.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 9, 2014

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
This is pretty neat. I went and put in a bunch of books and already have a list of stuff I'm interested in reading. Guess I need to hit the bookstore. The only drawback is I'm about to move and don't need to buy any more books...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Mog posted:

By far, the most annoying thing about Goodreads are those high-rated, one-star reviews of books which consist of nothing other than a bunch of witty sayings, .gifs, and a "hell no"! Like, seriously, I don't give a poo poo if it was the dumbest book in the Universe. I don't care if it makes Twilight look like War & Peace. Tell me what you didn't like about it and why. You aren't half as funny as you think you are.

Almost as bad is the infamous, passive-aggressive "Sorry that this is one of the best books ever but I didn't like it. Sorry! Don't eat me! It wasn't for me. I'm really sorry guys, okay? I'm sorry for the one-star rating. If you don't like it, too bad. *shrugs*." It's like they're daring someone to call them out on their lack of a proper review that will let me know why they didn't like this #1 NYT King bestseller.

Those are annoying, but the most annoying thing about goodreads is self-published authors who spam Listopia with their books (usually by getting their friends to vote, or by making multiple accounts to vote, or colluding with other self-published authors to game the system together).

"Indie" authors have loving ruined Goodreads.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Captain Mog posted:

gently caress it, any review that relies on images and sassy quotes, ignoring the stars they rated the book, is the worst. I read reviews to work out if I would like a book, not to read a 1000-word long tumblr post structured like a failed Cracked article.

Hedrigall posted:

"Indie" authors have loving ruined Goodreads.
The one time I accepted a free book in return for a review scared me off ever accepting that deal again. The worst book exists, and it's Where Madness Roosts and the fact that it has any ratings beyond one star is a sign that I should give up on reading any self published reviews on Goodreads. I swear, one of the reviews said something like "I hated it, but I won't give it one star because it's hard to write a whole book." every book on goodreads is a whole goddamn book.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Sorry Homer!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is there a good way of searching through the various editions of a book? For the classics, there's an infinite array of various rinky dink publications that you can arrange by various useless criteria. You can sort by format to paperback and there are still a thousand to pick through, or set it to the publication date and it peters out after 1990.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You can search by ISBN. Aren't those unique to each version of a book?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PureRok posted:

That won't work for anything prior to about 1970 or so.

8one6
May 20, 2012

PureRok posted:

That should work for any books published after 1980. Between '70 and '80 it becomes more of a crap-shoot the further back you go.

Goodreads doesn't have great tools for sorting editions.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I don't have any goodreads friends, I added everyone from this page.

Officer Sandvich fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 11, 2017

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Whalley posted:

The one time I accepted a free book in return for a review scared me off ever accepting that deal again. The worst book exists, and it's Where Madness Roosts and the fact that it has any ratings beyond one star is a sign that I should give up on reading any self published reviews on Goodreads. I swear, one of the reviews said something like "I hated it, but I won't give it one star because it's hard to write a whole book." every book on goodreads is a whole goddamn book.

I've gotten several good books from Goodreads giveaways, but I did get one absolutely terrible self-published one. Aside from the terrible writing in general, it didn't appear to have been proofread at all. One character's name was "Brian" and it was alternately written as "Brain" or "Brina". I wrote a scathing review, then felt bad about it but kept it up. It put me off anything self-published. From now on, I make sure that whatever book I'm interested in comes from a major publisher.

Szara
Sep 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, Goodreads really need to sort out their filtering system for top reviews. So I’m looking at the top reviews for this book, and there’s nothing but an endless wall of GIFs. One hundred GIFs after another, posted at the top of every “review”, flooding my screen with seizure-inducing pictures which have nothing to do with the actual content within the book. I don't really mind people including pictures in their post, but when it's posted at the top of the review it's not hidden under the "see more" link.

Goodreads is really becoming less of a book review site, and it’s turning into a nerdier version of Tumblr. But then again, I was in the Young Adult section, so maybe I was just asking for it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yes how terrible that the reviews for "Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3)" are full of all kinds of nerdy crap, surely unlike the actual contents of the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

yes how terrible that the reviews for "Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3)" are full of all kinds of nerdy crap, surely unlike the actual contents of the book

It's you isn't it? You're the drive-by GIF-er.

Oh and also Laini Taylor is awesome.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 18, 2014

• Locked thread