Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well, looks like I'm going to delete my goodreads account. Bit uncomfortable about it being owned by Amazon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to delete my goodreads account. Bit uncomfortable about it being owned by Amazon now.

Why?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

What a neat site. I spent some time adding some of my favorite (and not so favorite) books last night when I set up my account. I added a few of you from the last page. I like to think I read everything but really I've inhaled Sci-Fi/Fantasy SPECULATIVE FICTION since I was a kid. I also like modern american literature and business/economics/history oriented non-fiction.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/19059337

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Deleting your account seems a bit extreme since we don't even know to what extent Amazon will influence the site. The worst outcome I can think of is, as AreYouStillThere already mentioned, if Amazon lets the site stagnate like Shelfari. I don't think that's likely but even if it does happen, it's still not something worth worrying about now. Wait until a better alternative comes along before jumping ship, at least! then wait 3 years for Amazon to acquire the new service, rinse, and repeat

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

naptalan posted:

Deleting your account seems a bit extreme since we don't even know to what extent Amazon will influence the site. The worst outcome I can think of is, as AreYouStillThere already mentioned, if Amazon lets the site stagnate like Shelfari. I don't think that's likely but even if it does happen, it's still not something worth worrying about now. Wait until a better alternative comes along before jumping ship, at least! then wait 3 years for Amazon to acquire the new service, rinse, and repeat

I can think of a worse outcome... what if the books you've bought from Amazon all start showing up automatically on your Goodreads page? There are some books I got from Amazon that I'd prefer my friends not know about.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

The Grey posted:

I can think of a worse outcome... what if the books you've bought from Amazon all start showing up automatically on your Goodreads page? There are some books I got from Amazon that I'd prefer my friends not know about.

Oh god :gonk: I hadn't thought of that; there are some real shockers on my Amazon account. I hope if (when) they offer account linking, books are added as private/hidden and subject to your approval before showing up on your Goodreads page.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm sure they'll probably just add an "add to Goodreads" button next to the existing social media options when you place an order. I'm looking forward to that if it's something that gets implemented, it'll make adding stuff to GR a lot easier considering at least 9 books out of every ten I buy come from Amazon. It'll also cut down on poking around to make sure I'm selecting the proper edition, because I'm incredibly anal about that :spergin:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Grey posted:

I really don't think Amazon is stupid enough to do this, and I really doubt their lawyers would let them do it even if someone there was dumb enough to try it on anything other than an opt-in-per-individual-book basis. I worked at B&N.com during a time when they were trying to build Goodreads-esque social features, and everyone was very well aware that people buy a lot of books for very private reasons.

My guess is they will make it easy to (optionally) import some of your purchase history, remove links to other retailers, increase the price of the ads, and then just leave it be.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2013

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
There have been a ton of articles floating around the publishing news world recently about how good a purchase Goodreads was for Amazon. I don't know if Shelfari created similar sentiment, but everyone seems to think Amazon would have to be entirely inept to not do something to develop Goodreads and keep it going.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

z0331 posted:

I don't know if Shelfari created similar sentiment, but everyone seems to think Amazon would have to be entirely inept to not do something to develop Goodreads and keep it going.

Shelfari was never as robust as Goodreads and never had the level of community, so it wasn't nearly as big a deal. Amazon doesn't need to do anything to "develop" Goodreads because it is already developed, already has a thriving community of users and strong author/publisher relations. That's why it's a good purchase... if the purchase doesn't scare that community off. Which it might.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 9, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I tried to take a screenshot of it but it hosed up, but Goodreads just recommended me Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree Stories because I added Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory to my to-read list. :psyduck:

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I tried to take a screenshot of it but it hosed up, but Goodreads just recommended me Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree Stories because I added Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory to my to-read list. :psyduck:

The recommendations are really strange: After finishing Slaughterhouser 5, it suggested to me Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (Modern Critical Interpretations) , an book of critical essays about Cat's Cradle. In the first moment this seems quite normal, but Slaughterhouse 5 is my first and only Vonnegut book on my bookshelf and ib real life.
I hope Amazon brings some of its recommendation know-how to Goodreads.

And the usual, oh I am so lonely, please add me and mock my empty shelves and my bad taste,

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
So I just found out about Riffle Books - it's a new Goodreads alternative being touted as "the Pinterest of book discovery". After signing up and poking around, that seems very apt.

There aren't many users on Riffle yet and it feels a little feature-sparse compared to GR. There are no star ratings, just read/reading/recommended, and apparently no reviews. Instead, users make reading lists for a particular theme or answer questions like "What books would you hope your soulmate has read?" (apparently The Hunger Games is a popular answer :geno:) The popups for books don't even show a synopsis; you have to click to the individual book page to see what it's about, so I guess you're meant to find books based solely on their covers and whether people you follow like them.

Overall I found it very unimpressive. It feels like an attempt to copy parts of Pinterest and Goodreads without really understanding why either system actually works, and the end result just doesn't seem like a good system for discovering new books or sharing your taste in books with others.

I found this list of other Goodreads alternatives - I am quite happy with Goodreads but it's always good to know what else is out there! Anyone tried anything else on the list?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Of that list on the blog, LibraryThing is probably the best alternative, and the admittedly ADHD blogger seems to have given it (and really all of the options) a cursory, unscrutinizing glance. Compared to good reads I find it easier to add books and tag/organize them. Showing other users based off library similarity (weighted and raw) is also pretty handy, I've found some really interesting libraries that way and I don't recall a similar function on good reads.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It'll also tell you the width of your average book, in case you're ever really really bored.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yiggy posted:

Of that list on the blog, LibraryThing is probably the best alternative, and the admittedly ADHD blogger seems to have given it (and really all of the options) a cursory, unscrutinizing glance. Compared to good reads I find it easier to add books and tag/organize them. Showing other users based off library similarity (weighted and raw) is also pretty handy, I've found some really interesting libraries that way and I don't recall a similar function on good reads.

I vastly prefer LibraryThing over GoodReads, but then I'm also more interested in cataloging rather than the social aspects of either site, and LT is just light years better from that perspective.

I've also found that I'm approximately infinity percent more likely to get a free book from LT's giveaways than I am GR - I say this because I've gotten half a dozen or so books from LT and zero from GR.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

naptalan posted:

So I just found out about Riffle Books - it's a new Goodreads alternative being touted as "the Pinterest of book discovery". After signing up and poking around, that seems very apt.

I was just going to check this out, until I found out they require you to use a facebook or twitter ID. Uh, no thanks.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I just signed up for Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20434952
Added the pretty small amount of books that I've read - I really love reading but I am also really slow at it, even more so since I am studying two languages and have to read all kinds of scientific texts and boring mandatory reading for Uni. I even created shelves! I'll go ahead and add some of you from the last couple of pages.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Maybe I'm blind and missed the option, but is there a way to sort your friends? I'd like to keep IRL friends separate from goon friends because goons have cooties.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm a member of both GoodReads and LibraryThing, but I stopped using LibraryThing a couple of years ago. I guess I don't see the hubbub about Amazon buying GoodReads now? Personally I use it to catalog what I have, create wishlists, and read reviews. Is it worth switching over? Can I transfer my shelves from GoodReads easily enough to LibraryThing? I kind of like the social networking aspect of GoodReads in that I like to see what my friends are reading. Other than that I could do without the discussion groups.

Edit: Oh, here's my GoodReads profile I guess http://www.goodreads.com/Shnoox

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
I joined GoodReads some time back, I've been slowing but surely adding things to my 'library', I did checkout LibraryThing as well but just like the way GR worked better.

You can find my profile at: http://www.goodreads.com/kc5uyw

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I'm on here now - slowly building up my library, recommendations always welcome.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/18179285-ed-martin

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Joined Goodreads a while ago for the Reading Challenge, but have yet to post my profile on here. Hoping to catch up on my goal now that I have time to read, I've fallen behind a bit.

http://www.goodreads.com/AlternatePFG

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I just read through this entire thread, and despite some misgivings, I signed up for both Goodreads and LibraryThing.

For Goodreads, I created a challenge question and answer that anyone here can answer (or should be able to -- hit up the SAclopedia if you're truly stuck, or PM me).

Please won't you be my neighbor?

So far I've done nothing other than just create super basic profiles on both sites and set a bunch of privacy settings; I haven't imported any books into either site yet, but I will be doing that over the next few weeks. I'm moving and I'm taking inventory as I pack books anyway, so this can fit it to that whole process.

Ornamented Death posted:

I vastly prefer LibraryThing over GoodReads, but then I'm also more interested in cataloging rather than the social aspects of either site, and LT is just light years better from that perspective.

I've also found that I'm approximately infinity percent more likely to get a free book from LT's giveaways than I am GR - I say this because I've gotten half a dozen or so books from LT and zero from GR.
As of right now, I don't think I care about giveaways, but from a quick look at both sites, I think I prefer LibraryThing's look (just personal taste), and like Ornamented Death I probably care more about the things LibraryThing is better at, between the two. But I also agree with whoever said earlier in the thread that a key to extracting value out of Goodreads is to be choosy about following well-read users with similar tastes but deeper benches of books they've read. That's also how I use some social music subscription sites, to find out about new stuff I usually like.

I might also use Goodreads for the Reading Challenge 2013, if I do that.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Does LibraryThing have a good iphone app or mobile site? Goodreads is growing a little weary on me, but at least it's extremely convenient and easy to use.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Qwo posted:

Does LibraryThing have a good iphone app or mobile site? Goodreads is growing a little weary on me, but at least it's extremely convenient and easy to use.

It does not.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, add me as a friend = http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6645979-daniel

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I added a random assortment of people from this thread and figure I might as well link my profile too.
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1770123-gabriel

I don't really do much with the site other than mark what I'm currently reading and stick star ratings on things tho!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
More Goodreads drama here.

It essentially boils down to - GR decided that talking negatively about authors in reviews was bad, as was making shelves like "due to author" or "author rear end in a top hat," that sort of thing. There was no warning or grace period, and people logged in on Friday with emails saying "2 shelves and 90 of your reviews were deleted today."

I know a lot of people like complaining, and "BUT MY FREE SPEECH ON THIS SITE I GIVE NO MONEY TO" :911: but this really does seem pretty lovely. Lots of threats of mass exodus and blog starting. I know this is affecting a small, but vocal, portion of GR - mostly sassy YA reviewers who love GIFs - but one of my favorite reviewers asked an interesting question (paraphrasing), "What about Mein Kompf? Can we say Hitler was a dick? If that's okay because it's obvious, this slope doesn't get much more slippy."

AreYouStillThere fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 22, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I'd have to see the deleted reviews to care. Chances are the reviews are obnoxious and deserve obliteration. Reviews focusing on the author are of many reasons why Amazon reviews are worthless these days. A lot of the goodreads population is terrible anyway, it could use some thinning.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest I'd rather read reviews about the book and not "haha such and such author is a total bag of cock balls"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Honestly, I'd much rather they banned those reviews that go:

[meme]
[comment]
[meme]
[what I had for breakfast]
[how I felt when I first saw the ocean]
[meme]
[note to friend]
[small comment about the book]
[what I am going to have for dinner]
[meme]
[closing statement to friend]

Although trying to find one, this may actually have happened. :woop:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
While on the topic of bad reviews, this guy is the worst fucker ever, I hate the way goodreads weights reviews because I have to see this pretentious nitwit everywhere. He makes me spew vomit through my teeth. I wish goodreads would order reviews by some metric other than "most likes/comments/review length", but I guess a computer can't sort by "self-important".

That's my middle class white American complaint for the day.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Hey Qwo, does the "block this member" button at the bottom of their profile hide his reviews for you?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Good idea.

e: But now what will I do when I want to feel bitter?

Qwo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 22, 2013

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Qwo posted:

While on the topic of bad reviews, this guy is the worst fucker ever, I hate the way goodreads weights reviews because I have to see this pretentious nitwit everywhere. He makes me spew vomit through my teeth. I wish goodreads would order reviews by some metric other than "most likes/comments/review length", but I guess a computer can't sort by "self-important".

Ahahaha this guy rules, his reviews keep shoehorning in Tolkien for some reason

his review of Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War posted:

If the secret to enjoying Tolkien is skipping all the poetry and troop movements, I never thought this reflected poorly on poetry as an art, but I must admit I never realized that there was an art to the military memoir to reflect poorly on.

a book by Joseph Conrad posted:

In 1936, J.R.R. Tolkien gave a speech on Beowulf that completely changed the way scholarship on the poem was approached. Prior to this, it was studied for almost purely historical reasons...

also lmao at this:

quote:

It was not only the philosophy of Calvin and Hobbes, not only the many levels of both meaning and humor, it was the exploration of reality itself; sometimes funny, sometimes poignant.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

AreYouStillThere posted:

I know a lot of people like complaining, and "BUT MY FREE SPEECH ON THIS SITE I GIVE NO MONEY TO" :911: but this really does seem pretty lovely. Lots of threats of mass exodus and blog starting. I know this is affecting a small, but vocal, portion of GR - mostly sassy YA reviewers who love GIFs - but one of my favorite reviewers asked an interesting question (paraphrasing), "What about Mein Kompf? Can we say Hitler was a dick? If that's okay because it's obvious, this slope doesn't get much more slippy."

It's a good point. Writing tends to be a very personal thing; it's hard to criticise the way a book was written/the content in a book without criticising the author himself.

For example: a ton of reviewers comment on Christopher Paolini's "borrowing" of ideas from other fantasy novels (with varying levels of contempt); is that attacking the author or the book? What about if you say "he doesn't know how to write"? And for comments unrelated to the content: what about saying that he comes off as very arrogant in interviews and that turned you off the book? If that's not OK, is it still OK to say it's impressive that he wrote a book at 15?

It's not that I disagree with the new rules - there is clearly a point where reviews can cross from criticism into harrassment, but it's hard to make that judgement. I don't envy the GR modders.

Speaking of reviews, since we're discussing Keeley (here's his Eragon review - featuring Byron and Robert E. Howard), what reviewers do you guys actually like? What other terrible reviewers do you see everywhere on the site?

I really like Mike Puma. He almost exclusively reviews books he actually enjoyed and always has something interesting to say about them.

Ceridwen is great too - here's her Eragon review. You can tell a lot about a reviewer by what they have to say about Eragon. :allears:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

naptalan posted:

Speaking of reviews, since we're discussing Keeley (here's his Eragon review - featuring Byron and Robert E. Howard), what reviewers do you guys actually like? What other terrible reviewers do you see everywhere on the site?

I really like Mike Puma. He almost exclusively reviews books he actually enjoyed and always has something interesting to say about them.

Ceridwen is great too - here's her Eragon review. You can tell a lot about a reviewer by what they have to say about Eragon. :allears:

I generally ignore the reviews since it's more of a socal/recommendation site for me, so nobody really stands out. Sometimes for kicks, I'll dig up cool one-star reviews like this. No idea who he is, but I like Steve's reviews: they're quick and to the point. And I know this guy posts here, but I can't remember who it is. But I like your reviews, too.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I really dislike the personality and social networking aspect of the site, so I don't pay attention to the reviews of specific users. Aside from that Keely guy (he's like if a 12 year old version of myself had a college degree), the only recognizable user that springs to mind is this Karen chick, although I don't have any opinion/knowledge of her tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't read reviews for anything ever anywhere. I use the site to track what books I'm reading and where I'm at. Sort of like some sort of advanced bookmark. On the flip-side, I also don't review anything ever. I'll give things a rating, but that's as far as I'll go. Usually.

• Locked thread