Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006

Poutling posted:

On a slight tangent, I came across this blog post about some crazy drama on goodreads:

http://cuddlebuggery.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-five-days-on-goodreads.html

apparently there are some authors that also use goodreads that are starting to react badly to negative reviews of their novels. Now other readers are reacting and voting down books just because of the author's reaction.

When you have an author that you like and then you come across them on the internet and realize that they are a total fuckwad, does that make you like their novels any less or are you objectively able to separate the novel from the writer?

A douchebag writer would certainly taint the stuff I read to some degree.

But this blog, I don't know, it all seems way overblown.

Also this:

Lauren DeStefano posted:

"I'd even venture to say GR makes 4chan look like a hallmark card from my own loving granny."
I don't even know what to say actually, has miss DeStefano never been to 4chan? :psyduck:

Anyway I guess I think all involved are a bunch of huge crybabies who should know better, this is the internet, if you take it seriously enough to be offended by anything you read on it you're doing it wrong.

Edit because I don't feel like making a new post: My Goodreads profile I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, but the plan for this year is to read more "serious-people" books just because. I try to reflect/review on everything I read but sometimes :effort: I guess.

Hasseltkoffie fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006
It all seems rather childish. I guess if you'd wind up on that site you could press charges or something right?

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006
Maybe they can send a DMCA takedown notice to the provider?

I'd be kind of flattered I guess if they'd take notice, but all of my reviews are very short and kind of lame to be honest. But I get why there is reason to be concerned about this.

Filled out a Web of trust report just to spite them. I noticed I wasn't the first: "This site has a poor reputation based on user ratings."

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006

Granbar posted:

Any way of syncing Goodreads with my Kindle 3rd gen so that it can update on books I own, how far I'm into a book etc?

You might be able to do something like that with Calibre

• Locked thread