Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's mine. I pretty much use it to keep track of my reading, so don't expect too much. http://www.goodreads.com/thebarkclam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Goodreads is okay for keeping track of your library and occasionally scoring advance copies of stuff, but the whole glut of self-published nonsense and boring reviews make a large part of the site complete poo poo. I'm not surprised terrible authors are getting mad at terrible critics.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Eh, if I cared about an author being a dick, I would've never read Midnight's Children. But I did and it's the best thing I've ever read. Even Nabokov was kind of a dick.

yeah there's a collection of nabokov's essays/lectures where he's pretty harsh on joyce and i think faulkner, too. guy certainly didn't hold back

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I've had a LOT more luck getting free books from Library Thing. And not terrible, self-published poo poo, either; I got an ARC of Harbor.

Also, I think there's a lot of crossover between what's offered, at least by the larger publishers, so if there's something you want, you can double your chances :).

I might have to check that out. It's actually not that hard to get review copies from publishers if you ask nicely and have a place willing to run your review.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Quad posted:

This community is more hilarious than I ever could've imagined. The "Top 100 of 2011" list is literally 100% Romance and Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy and Self-Published Paranormal Urban Romance Fantasy etc.
Either there are mostly teenage girls, and 35 year old cat ladies on Goodreads, or idiots love lists. Maybe both?

it's not quite as great as the modern library's list but it's still funny

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Somehow I became a librarian and I don't know how or why I qualify, so I guess I can always post hello.jpg as Twilight's cover if I ever want to stir up some fun.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

How do you guys rate books that you liked when you were younger but probably wouldn't today? For instance, I used to be the biggest Haruki Murakami fan but I'm not sure I'd like him anymore. I don't know whether to rate it based on what I thought when I read it or what I think now, or just split the difference. I used to have an exclusive "read when I was younger" shelf but that was silly.

Depends. I've got a bunch of Hunter Thompson I thought was great back in high school but don't care for now, so I split the difference, since they're kind of important to me still. But if a book doesn't mean anything to me now, I don't even bother adding it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
My account says I have 138 books to-read but there's no way that's accurate. I should probably prune it sometime.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
You know what I love about Goodreads? Their bustling fanfiction section.

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 14, 2012

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Forget the fan fiction, I found the next great scifi author of our time!

Hey cool, ulillillia wrote a new novel!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
They purged their site of a lot of book information a while back because an agreement with Amazon lapsed out or something. A bunch of my books got merged with other editions, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
GR also has a much better selection of self-published eBooks about vampires in it's freebie section, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Are you telling me insecure self-published authors can't handle criticism? I'm surprised and shocked.

Besides, who actually reads the comments at the bottom of reviews anyway? I don't think I've ever done that.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
My favorite story is the one about an author who wrote a book full of typos and frantically tried to get a reviewer to re-read her book, in a "safety backup copy" nonetheless, and melted down on the comments section of said reviewer's blog.

It's foolish to take these people seriously, they're the people you meet at a fiction writing class who don't listen to the teacher and say "well you don't know what you're talking about" when their Twilight fanfiction gets handed back to them without a mark. The whole self-published section of Goodreads is a dump, anyway.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I just wrote in votes for everything this year. I figured I'm the only person voting for Brendle's rad book of poems, but whatever. I assume 50 Shades of Grey will win every category anyway.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Zola posted:

This would only be useful to someone with hundreds of books, but...

I started out with a librarything account. I got a cuecat from them. Now I scan in the upc which registers the book on librarything. Sometimes I have to choose between a couple of versions, usually that's just because someone is being anal about having specifically a first edition.

Ah, so that's where those things come from. Sometimes when I go to used book fairs, there'll be a guy or two with one of those (or something like it anyway) scanning the UPC of each book. I assume they're trying to find whatever's valuable or first editions they can flip for cash.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Is there a way to block people on Goodreads? Some christian author is sending me a friend request a day and it's getting annoying.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Qwo posted:

While on the topic of bad reviews, this guy is the worst fucker ever, I hate the way goodreads weights reviews because I have to see this pretentious nitwit everywhere. He makes me spew vomit through my teeth. I wish goodreads would order reviews by some metric other than "most likes/comments/review length", but I guess a computer can't sort by "self-important".

Ahahaha this guy rules, his reviews keep shoehorning in Tolkien for some reason

his review of Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War posted:

If the secret to enjoying Tolkien is skipping all the poetry and troop movements, I never thought this reflected poorly on poetry as an art, but I must admit I never realized that there was an art to the military memoir to reflect poorly on.

a book by Joseph Conrad posted:

In 1936, J.R.R. Tolkien gave a speech on Beowulf that completely changed the way scholarship on the poem was approached. Prior to this, it was studied for almost purely historical reasons...

also lmao at this:

quote:

It was not only the philosophy of Calvin and Hobbes, not only the many levels of both meaning and humor, it was the exploration of reality itself; sometimes funny, sometimes poignant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

naptalan posted:

Speaking of reviews, since we're discussing Keeley (here's his Eragon review - featuring Byron and Robert E. Howard), what reviewers do you guys actually like? What other terrible reviewers do you see everywhere on the site?

I really like Mike Puma. He almost exclusively reviews books he actually enjoyed and always has something interesting to say about them.

Ceridwen is great too - here's her Eragon review. You can tell a lot about a reviewer by what they have to say about Eragon. :allears:

I generally ignore the reviews since it's more of a socal/recommendation site for me, so nobody really stands out. Sometimes for kicks, I'll dig up cool one-star reviews like this. No idea who he is, but I like Steve's reviews: they're quick and to the point. And I know this guy posts here, but I can't remember who it is. But I like your reviews, too.

• Locked thread